Poughkeepsie multi families

Poughkeepsie multi families

Lagrangeville, NY · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 218 votes

I feel like I found a pretty good market and figured I'd share it to see if others agree.  I live in Lagrange, NY and I'm only 15 minutes from the small city of Poughkeepsie, NY.  IMO, this city has been slowly coming back to life.  The city has been updating all their parks as well as putting in a walk/bikeway that goes through the city and over the Hudson river into highland.  It's pretty awesome.  They have an ivy league college (vassar) as well as one of the best SUNY colleges in the state, Marist.  They are putting on a 500 million dollar addition to Vassar Hospital.  The waterfront is growing as we speak with new restaurants, and premium condo's.  Anyway, seems to me that the city is going in the right direction.  So onto multi families. 

I purchased two duplexes last year and they both have been performing really well.  I got them both for around 125K in a decent neiborhood, in decent condition (only took me about $3000 each to get them cleaned up and rent ready).  Anyway, I posted a rental listing on craigslist and received over 10 hits on it in the first day.  I screened and screened and found 4 tenants with no waiting or problems. Seems to be a good rental market.  The houses are almost exactly the same so I'll put down the numbers for one....

House has:

 2- 1000sqft, 3 bdrm units in average condition (laminate wood floors, older windows, small kitchens and baths)

-They rent for 1100 each (2200 total)

-They pay all utilities

-I put 25% down, so I owe 95K or so

-PITI Payments = $950 monthly (taxes are 4200)

-I pay garbage, sewer, water = $150 a month ish

So I pay 1100 monthly on this and it brings in 2200.  I always put 200 a month way towards maintenance  which leaves me with $900 per duplex. 

These houses pop up all the time on the MLS, craigslist and trulia. I'm just curious if others see this great market just as I do. Looking forward to hearing others thoughts and opinions on these numbers and this area.
Cheers!

3Reply
201 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Poughkeepsie, NY · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 13 votes
8y

I have an awesome duplex I will be selling soon (it's my own) - it's a 2/2 with the potential for a third unit.  Nice street, quiet.  Let me know if anyone has interest.  Gross revenue is 28,200.

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt Caven:

    @Evin Lederman I'm a local broker, REO agent and property manager. I am very familiar with an ARV, but I can tell you there is a serious shortage of inventory right now. I have investors and contractors lined up but the deals just aren't there.

    @Jack North Poughkeepsie is a very diverse city and you really have to do your research when it comes to the location you’re interested in purchasing in. The rental market is different literally from street to street. 

    We are looking at this market too and would be interested to know more about it.  What do you think is the reason for the inventory shortage?

  • Mt Kisco, NY · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Does anyone has a referral for a good real estate investor-friendly agent who can help me in the Poughkeepsie area.  Many thanks.

  • Real Estate Agent · Waterbury, VT · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 65 votes
    7y

    @Russell R. I gotchu! See inbox for PM

  • Poughkeepsie, NY · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Margaret Buoncora I have been looking at properties in this area for about 6 months. Prices are good and you don't need to be in the center of the Poughkeepsie. Also, many duplexes are in horrible condition but prices are jacked up. I just looked at duplex with a contractor (who told me to walk away) and the bidding war is out of control. 

    I am starting to look outside of the city, but the taxes are very high in this area and eats away your profit. 

    @Jay Helms IBM is no longer the big player. They still have a presence of ~3000 employee. The city is trying to  starting technology triangle within the city with local colleges and IBM. Also, one of main hospital is building a $550M hospital with new medical school and residency program. 

    @Mike P. @Matt Caven Do you know of any POK REI meetings? I know there is a one for Newburgh and Orange Country. I would like to meet up with local POK investors.

  • Poughkeepsie, NY · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    @John Kwon yes, there is a facebook page that is active with Poughkeepsie area investors and meet-ups. I'll shoot you a link in a message.

  • Investor · Poughkeepsie, NY · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Can you post the link here so we can all check it out?

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mike P.:

    Many of those boarded up houses aren't worth anything.  They are too far gone, and are too expensive to tear down and build new.  City is better off turning them into a pocket park.

     Lol I don’t know if the post you were replying to is accurate. But if there are 600 vacant houses in pokeep and as you say that they are too far gone....well in Newburgh every few weeks there is a bidding war in every too far gone vacant. 

    And crime is significantly down in Newburgh.....while in Poughkeepsie things are just about the same   

    Seems like pokeep might have a ways to go to catch up......as I mentioned in the other thread about Newburgh/pokeep on that other thread.  

    Think both cities have a lot going for them.  All welcome at the Newburgh meetup.  

  • Investor · Poughkeepsie, NY · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    One of the problems in Poughkeepsie is that those vacant homes have not been available for purchase.  Other municipalities have found ways, but Poughkeepsie is very late to the game.

    Thankfully, that seems to be changing.

    https://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2019/March/26/Pou_land_bank-26Mar19.html

  • Rental Property Investor · Poughkeepsie, NY · Member since 2013 · 262 posts · 96 votes
    7y

    Real estate Hudson valley   -Facebook

    Norbin makes sure he posts all local meetup and keeps everyone informed with what is going on around here

  • Poughkeepsie, NY · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Mike P. Land bank is step forward to get rid of vacant land. Philly had a similar problem and the city started to sell off (i think 2500) vacant land and abandoned homes. This created a boom in the area... also a lot of gentrification which got some push back from long term owners due to tax increase. Ironic thing was that developers got 10 year tax abatement.  Anyway, this could be a good thing of POK.

  • Poughkeepsie, NY · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 25 votes
    7y
  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Looking to buy my first rental property. I live in Poughkeepsie. Is the market too hot right now? Is it too late to get in on the Beacon, NY craze?

  • New to Real Estate · Fishkill, NY · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    @David Tecchio did you ever commit to Poughkeepsie? I'm looking to get into this market with MFR's and I'm curious as to what this pandemic has done to the market

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.