Is this a good deal or is this too good to be true? (Apt Complex)

Is this a good deal or is this too good to be true? (Apt Complex)

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 4 votes

Questions:

-Is this in a warzone? 

-Does anyone know the Birmingham, Alabama area well enough or recommend a Commercial/Residential Agent that I could speak with?

-Could someone drive by the property to give me a better idea of what I should be looking out for?

-Based on the rent roll and the information I have at hand this property seems like it has been mismanaged for years, is there a specific way you would speak with these kind of landlords?

Full Property Address is:

1160 13th Street N Birmingham, AL 35204

Current Listing Price:

$185,000

Number of Units:

22 of which 8 are occupied

Current Day Rents at 08/22 Units = 36% Occupancy:

(196*08=$1565 per month / $18,780 a year)

Valuation at 36% Occupancy:

$84,000 - $92,500 ( I would offer this price today since this would be based on the current rents which are abysmal probably due to a landlord who doesn't know how to market and to rent out to the region $200 rents are way below market rates) (Analysis in excel sheet - link below)

Prospective Rents at 100% Occupancy:

(500*22=$11,000 per month / $132,000 a year)

(600*22=$13,200 per month / $158,400 a year)

Valuation at 100% Occupancy:

$1,215,000 - $1,225,000 (Analysis is in excel sheet link below)

Projected Repairs: 

I currently don't know since I don't have pictures of the interior, but I've factored about $75K ($3500 per unit) for repairs since I don't know the condition of the interior. (I realize this may be too low should I budget closer to $150K - how do I gauge this?)

Relative Rent Rates (Trulia) $500 - $600

Relative Rent Rates (Zillow) $500 - $800

Relative Rent Rates (Rentometer)

Commute Times to Local Areas Heat Map I was specifically looking at UAB

Restaurants and Amenities Nearby

Crime Maps

I've provided a link below for all of my analysis and the current rent roll:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16GwJct6Atz...

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 5 votes
8y

Hey Daniel,

From the surface that does look like an attractive deal. I saw it pop up on the market and drove by it last week and discovered a few things. 

A big portion of the vacancy could very well be due to mismanageement (based on exterior appearance, broken down cars and windows, exterior trash etc.) but another huge factor that dramatically hurts the value of this property is the construction going on around it. 

The city is rebuilding the entire interchange of I-20 and I-65 right there. There will be a flyover that cuts across/over 12th Pl N (street backs up to this building), and it looks like an onramp on 13th St n (right around the corner). This increased traffic noise could potentially hurt your projected rent numbers and also increase turnover (once you fix the vacancy problems). As an investor (realtor and contractor) in Birmingham I would think your price per unit with only seeing the exterior would be at least twice your budget ($3,500 per) if not more. 

I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out to me if I can be of any additional assistance! 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Selma, AL · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Daniel, Sounds interesting, I wished I were closer I would give it a look for you. But you are correct to be questioning if in a war zone.  Hoping not be offending anyone there are several areas that are at best would be called sketchy.  I have made a wrong turn before in that area and realized I didn't need to be there.  Saying all that I have been interested in finding knowledgeable people in the Birmingham market. There are many properties that are listed that seem to good to be true.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    your blue sky proforma is just that blue sky... those properties are priced for risk.

  • Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Hey Daniel,

    From the surface that does look like an attractive deal. I saw it pop up on the market and drove by it last week and discovered a few things. 

    A big portion of the vacancy could very well be due to mismanageement (based on exterior appearance, broken down cars and windows, exterior trash etc.) but another huge factor that dramatically hurts the value of this property is the construction going on around it. 

    The city is rebuilding the entire interchange of I-20 and I-65 right there. There will be a flyover that cuts across/over 12th Pl N (street backs up to this building), and it looks like an onramp on 13th St n (right around the corner). This increased traffic noise could potentially hurt your projected rent numbers and also increase turnover (once you fix the vacancy problems). As an investor (realtor and contractor) in Birmingham I would think your price per unit with only seeing the exterior would be at least twice your budget ($3,500 per) if not more. 

    I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out to me if I can be of any additional assistance! 

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Yes its a warzone. I drove by this property about a month ago and kept driving. There are abandoned houses surrounding this complex so unless you want to buy all of those and clean the whole neighborhood up it will be difficult to add value. It looks great on paper but this isn't one you can evaluate by quantitative analysis. There are two half vacant (broken windows, no doors on some units)  apartment buildings around the corner from this one so if you want a better deal you could probably get that apartment building cheaper. This is a bad area and declining. Your prospective renters are going to be the current homeless population so I doubt 500 is achievable. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Mark A Story thank you for the offer lol you're not offending anybody, I was just curious because I was just doing an exercise with my brother and a few of our friends analyzing deals that way we simply get better at it. Utilizing Bigger Pockets as a resource allows us to protect ourselves from potentially harmful deals and I couldn't be happier with the feedback from people.

    @Jay Hinrichs this is why I ask on the forums so that maybe I can learn something new, thank you for the input. 

    @Blake Shultz Thank you for the assistance I didn't know that the city was rebuilding the entire interchange and the nearby areas. If you're free this evening I'll give you a call and pick your brain if you don't mind.

    @Account Closed Thank you for the feedback, that's basically what I wanted to know!

  • Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    you are welcome to call anytime!

  • Real Estate Professional · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 19 votes
    8y
    Hey Danial Qureshi I am a commercial Broker here in Birmingham. I am happy to take a look at something for you in town if you have questions. Feel free to send me a PM and I will send you my contact information. Thanks!
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Blake Shultz thank you for the offer I'll definitely take you up on it.

    @Shepard Ager just sent you a message looking forward to connecting

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.