How are people able to acquire properties so quickly?

How are people able to acquire properties so quickly?

Investor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 168 posts · 123 votes

One thing that continually boggles my mind, and I often hear on podcasts, is how are people able to scale so quickly and buy their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th properties so quickly after the first (often within a year of buying the first one)? Or to go from buying a SFR or duplex to like 8 units or something much bigger within a year?

I know some people have partners, but not everyone who scales so quickly does. Some people live in less expensive areas, but not everyone who scales quickly does. Also not everyone who's able to buy more properties so quickly has a boatload of cash on hand. Not everyone getting into real estate has a great 9-5 paycheque, or can house-hack, or can get an FHA loan, yet a lot of those people acquire properties very quickly.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how people are able to do what I would imagine would take 15 years, in about 3 years. At present, I'm doing a refi on my primary when some renovations will be complete in about Sept, and then plan to invest out of state in the midwest. Prices in my city just don't work and don't cashflow. Flips that are priced low enough to make the numbers work are non-existent. We have different rules here for foreclosures so no discounts to be had. Even with OOS investing, there are going to be travel expenses and of course closing costs to take into account over and above the down payment for a property. An FHA loan won't work as I won't be occupying the property.

So how have you (or those you know) managed to scale so quickly? 

4Reply
238 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 662 posts · 1k+ votes
8y

I'll take a stab.  Location and opportunity go hand in hand.  I'm not sure if living in Alberta is good for quick acquisition of investment property.  

But in Texas, opportunity abounds.  There are many paths to acquiring property, so I will outline just one of many. But first lets make a few assumptions.  You have a job producing income and you have some reserve.  You are single or married no kids (or kids less than 5).  You have studied real estate investing and you have a BURNING Desire to participate  in this excellent opportunity. Burning Desire means you are willing to get out of your comfort zone and willing to make a few sacrifices to be successful in achieving financial independence using investment real estate.  So far Good?

House Hack using Duplexes.  Easy Peasy to start.  Owner occupied, means only having to put 5% down if that is all you can spare.  Buy a $200k duplex, your nut is around $1,600-$1,800 monthly.  You rent out one side for $1100, that leaves you with approximately $500-$700 to pay each month.  But your Burning Desire is real, so you even rent out one  room on your side of the duplex for $500/month.  Your living for $100-200 month.  You save $1000 month or more from either previously renting or mortgage in Canada.  One year later, you take your $12000 in savings and move out of your duplex and buy another.  The duplex you just left you rent out both sides and now you have $500-$700 positive and your repeat on the new duplex.  If the market moves in your favor, you take HELOCs on one or more of your properties to use a downpayment on future buys.  The snowball begins.  12-14 years later your looking at owning 18 units or more and over half are paid off.  Good luck, for those with a BURNING DESIRE in TEXAS this is REAL... Good Luck.  The only question I have for you is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,How HOT is your DESIRE, warm, cold or BURNING HOT!!!!!

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2018 · 97 posts · 48 votes
    8y

    As a professional investor over 10 years I have always emphasized quality over quantity. Since I invest on townhomes and SFH I tend to focus on good school zones and desirable neighbhorhoods. So don't worry about the number of units instead focus on ROI and capital appreciation!

  • Investor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 168 posts · 123 votes
    8y

    Thank you all for the responses! Maybe I'll add a little more about me so perhaps some of my questions make more sense. Yes, I have a job that produces income (moderate/average income) and a comfortable emergency reserve. Married, no kids at the moment, and husband is also working after recently finishing an apprenticeship. We bought our first house in May 2014, which was our first accidental-live-in flip. 2 months after buying, oil prices started to free fall, and house prices in Calgary followed suit. We did fairly well on that first house, and bought a house with basement suite for #2. We renovated it, and rented the basement, and sold in the black as well, though we got more out of the rental than we did of the flip portion. House #3 seemed like a pretty easy little flip that didn't need too much work, but the economy continued to tank, and we barely got a profit out of that. Nevertheless, we preserved our equity from each property, added a little in profit, and some from rent from house #2. (Had we kept that first townhouse, which we bought before really knowing what anything at all about real estate, other than it was ugly and we could fix it up, we would probably be close to -$70,000 upside down on that house, the market dropped that much in the last 4 years.) Our first goal was to be able to get an acreage within commuting distance to Calgary, and in Aug 2017, we had the opportunity, and bought land, moved a bungalow onto a new foundation, and we are in the process of building everything else on the property. In Sept, the plan is to do a refinance on it, and get a little cash out. I'm in Canada, with no intention of ever living in the US, but I would like to invest in property in the US. Selling the primary residence is not an option since this was our goal for the last 4 years, and my husband is pretty well done with any form of house hacking now that we have our "home" and not a "house". 

    My definition of scaling up would be acquiring second, third, fourth, etc properties, in a relatively short time frame in order to build more capital and/or cashflow. For me, I'm focused more on cashflow, and actually owning and being in control of the property (so not a partnership where I'm in a big deal with 6 other people. I feel that's more of a business venture than scaling up.) I'm well aware it's not a race to get the most properties possible, but I want to reach financial independence within the next 5 years, which means I'm going to need a plan on how I'm going to get that done, and how to make the jump from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc. I know many say, "just get the first one and go from there!", which isn't bad advice, but before I jump into the first one, I'd like to have half a plan of how I'm going to get the next properties. For example if I have limited capital and it makes more sense to BRRR the first few properties, that's good to plan for so I don't jump in for property #1 and spend most of my capital on a turnkey.

    BRRR makes sense on recycling your seed money, and I'm thinking this is the way I would like to go - however, the realist part of me questions how realistically successful this strategy would be if I'm not only out of state, but also investing out of country. Property management on a rental for OOS? No biggie. But doing a reno and refi while not in the country? Be honest, how much of a challenge will this be? I don't have friends or family in the US that could "pop by" and check things out now and then - that would have to be someone I would hire or a potential partner.

    Which brings me to another point - partners. I certainly see the value if you have a fantastic partnership and things go really well. But there are also the down sides - things fall apart, someone's not happy with the division of labour and profits, and you can't very well chop a 50 unit apartment building in half and freely do what you'd like with your half. For that reason, I'm wary of partnerships because of all the potential complications, and at the end of the day I want to own my properties, that I have full autonomy over. 

    @Account Closed could you tell me more about Subject To and Wraps? From my limited understanding, I thought that was a strategy that was a great approach until a lot of banks put the kibosh on it, and it's now very tricky to use?

    Private money - yes that's certainly an approach as well. 

    1031 exchanges - love the idea, not possible to do that in Canada, but is it possible for a Canadian to use a 1031 exchange in the US? I'm going to have to look into that further, because I don't know the answer. 

    Appreciation - also very understandable how this helps one to scale more quickly. Quite a bit more to do with luck and local economy that other factors. 

    Hard money - if I'm focusing on rentals, are the hard money rates worth it? Would most people use this only to fund a BRRR?

    Seller financing - Definitely a plus when you can make it work! For someone who is out of state/country, how likely is this to be an employable strategy? 

    Good point from the few people that pointed out that a lot of the podcast guests started in 2008-2012. A lot of them did. Awesome for them, but yeah it was a totally different market back then compared to now. 

    Being not local is limiting in a lot of ways, but I would say one thing I have going for me is that because of stellar credit, banks have been willing to loan me a significant amount on unsecured lines of credit. Once our primary is refinanced, I plan to put this money to the best use possible. I just want to make sure I'm aware of all the ways people have expanded their real estate holdings so I'm not missing the obvious!! 

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    The simple answer has already been put forth by a member and it's something I've done dozens of times. It's called "subject-to" investing. Admittedly, you have to learn the nuances of it, especially the paperwork but you get to buy houses with no credit, no banks and in many cases very little or nothing down. The most I've offered was a thousand dollars but it was a multi-family I decided not to keep because of the repair cost. I flipped it for 17K as-is without touching it and moved on to my next project after coming back from the Bahamas. (Gotta spend it on something!) Another deal a seller wanted moving money so I offered $500. She wanted more but I resisted because I found out she had a place to go to already and really wasn't broke. I gave it her because I knew the return would be much better. Although she had lived in the house, it needed a bunch of things. I considered it as a rental but said well, maybe not because taxes were super high in that county. I flipped it for 11k without touching it but instead of going on vacation, I did a few upgrades around my house. I know 11k is an odd number and I asked for 15 but the buyer wanted to negotiate to death and I had things to do so I took the 11k offered. After all, since my investment was just $500, that wasn't so bad as a return on investment. I mean, I don't know and I'm not sure but I think that beats CD rates. 

  • Investor · River City, Manitoba · Member since 2017 · 162 posts · 193 votes
    8y

    You may want to speak with a really good tax accountant. The tax laws and regulations in my opinion were just ridiculous and laden with red tape to make investing in the states worth while for me to take seriously. If you end up investing south of the 49 please send me a message and let me know some of the stuff you end up doing I'd love to learn your approach.

    As for myself... I haven't scaled up at any rapid rate. It's a slow process for me. Purchase one property... flip 2-4 more... purchase another one ... BURRR it if possible... flip 2-4 more buy another one... BURRRR ... rinse and repeat.

    Your personal location is also a bit tricky. Calgary has boom and bust years.... it's all controlled by the oil and oil industry. If you made money on your properties while in those bust years... you certainly are doing better than most. Some people got hit HARD. So that blue print that you do have going... use that.. come up with your plan.. and I wish you all the prosperity in the world. And please keep me posted if you end up investing down south.. I'd love to know how you do.

  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brianne H.:

    Thank you all for the responses! Maybe I'll add a little more about me so perhaps some of my questions make more sense. Yes, I have a job that produces income (moderate/average income) and a comfortable emergency reserve. Married, no kids at the moment, and husband is also working after recently finishing an apprenticeship. We bought our first house in May 2014, which was our first accidental-live-in flip. 2 months after buying, oil prices started to free fall, and house prices in Calgary followed suit. We did fairly well on that first house, and bought a house with basement suite for #2. We renovated it, and rented the basement, and sold in the black as well, though we got more out of the rental than we did of the flip portion. House #3 seemed like a pretty easy little flip that didn't need too much work, but the economy continued to tank, and we barely got a profit out of that. Nevertheless, we preserved our equity from each property, added a little in profit, and some from rent from house #2. (Had we kept that first townhouse, which we bought before really knowing what anything at all about real estate, other than it was ugly and we could fix it up, we would probably be close to -$70,000 upside down on that house, the market dropped that much in the last 4 years.) Our first goal was to be able to get an acreage within commuting distance to Calgary, and in Aug 2017, we had the opportunity, and bought land, moved a bungalow onto a new foundation, and we are in the process of building everything else on the property. In Sept, the plan is to do a refinance on it, and get a little cash out. I'm in Canada, with no intention of ever living in the US, but I would like to invest in property in the US. Selling the primary residence is not an option since this was our goal for the last 4 years, and my husband is pretty well done with any form of house hacking now that we have our "home" and not a "house". 

    My definition of scaling up would be acquiring second, third, fourth, etc properties, in a relatively short time frame in order to build more capital and/or cashflow. For me, I'm focused more on cashflow, and actually owning and being in control of the property (so not a partnership where I'm in a big deal with 6 other people. I feel that's more of a business venture than scaling up.) I'm well aware it's not a race to get the most properties possible, but I want to reach financial independence within the next 5 years, which means I'm going to need a plan on how I'm going to get that done, and how to make the jump from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc. I know many say, "just get the first one and go from there!", which isn't bad advice, but before I jump into the first one, I'd like to have half a plan of how I'm going to get the next properties. For example if I have limited capital and it makes more sense to BRRR the first few properties, that's good to plan for so I don't jump in for property #1 and spend most of my capital on a turnkey.

    BRRR makes sense on recycling your seed money, and I'm thinking this is the way I would like to go - however, the realist part of me questions how realistically successful this strategy would be if I'm not only out of state, but also investing out of country. Property management on a rental for OOS? No biggie. But doing a reno and refi while not in the country? Be honest, how much of a challenge will this be? I don't have friends or family in the US that could "pop by" and check things out now and then - that would have to be someone I would hire or a potential partner.

    Which brings me to another point - partners. I certainly see the value if you have a fantastic partnership and things go really well. But there are also the down sides - things fall apart, someone's not happy with the division of labour and profits, and you can't very well chop a 50 unit apartment building in half and freely do what you'd like with your half. For that reason, I'm wary of partnerships because of all the potential complications, and at the end of the day I want to own my properties, that I have full autonomy over. 

    @Account Closed's new book Real Estate Note Investing. While the title would make you think it's all about notes, and there is a lot of great information about notes in the book, it more importantly chronicles Dave's transition from a job in real estate, to owning rentals and eventually to notes. He talks about the different elements of them, and how passive they are or are not. This is great food for thought for someone trying to decide the level of engagement they are really wanting to have in their investments. 

  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 543 posts · 168 votes
    8y

    As a FL Mortgage Broker, I'm smack dab in the thick of things and can tell you that the answers to your question are that they are:

    1. loaded and are cash buyers

    2. hooked up with a strong Mortgage Broker who is providing Outside the Box financing which is enabling them to buy so much, so quickly

    But something they don't do is get bogged down with Perpetual Analysis Paralysis and expecting ridiculous interest rates and making a bunch of absurd "2008" lowball offers here in today's Seller's Market and they are always  Cooperative & Realistic Borrower/ Buyers!  

  • Investor · ST. Augustine, FL · Member since 2013 · 92 posts · 31 votes
    8y

    @Brianne H. Yes, a Canadian can do a 1031 exchange in the US (US property for US property).

    You will run into an issue with FIRPTA (Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act).

    When a "foreign person" disposes of property in the US, the buyer is required to withhold and remit to the IRS 15% of the gross sales price for individuals (35%-39.6% for foreign entities) in order to ensure that any taxable gain realized by the seller is actually paid.

    This is a big problem when trying to do a 1031 exchange, because when performing an exchange, the exchanger must acquire property (or properties) greater in value AND reinvest ALL of the proceeds from the sale, in order to defer all of the capital gains taxes. If the buyer has to send 15% of the gross sales price to the IRS, then the exchanger won't reinvest all of the proceeds, then the exchange likely wouldn't be worthwhile.

    There are a few ways for the exchanger to be exempt from withholding.

    1. The sale price of the property is less than $300k, it will be the buyer's primary residence and the buyer will sign an affidavit to this effect.

    2. You perform a simultaneous same day closing with no "boot". Basically, you close on the sale and the purchase in the same day (sale first) and you satisfy the requirements for full tax deferral (listed above).

    3. Procure a Withholding Certificate from the IRS. You can then bring this to closing an the buyer would not need to do the withholding. It can take up to 90 days for the IRS to issue this certificate, you you would need to apply well in advance of closing.

    I hope this helps!

  • Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 769 votes
    8y

    I don't know whether you would consider the rate at which I acquired property fast or not, but I went from one owner-occupied house to seven houses in Mississippi and a condo in California in the last seven years. A good part of it was definitely due to the recession which hit the housing market in Jackson, Mississippi rather late, and stayed longer. I was buying three bedroom, 2ba houses with two car garages for 30--35K and paying maybe 5K for light rehabs but virtually no updating. I paid cash for these houses but would then turn around after a year, get a first-place HELOC and then use the money to buy my next house. (Only a few banks give HELOCs for rental properties. Mine are with Wells Fargo.) I have the money for another house but finding one at that price is becoming harder and harder. Houses I paid 30K for now appraise at 70K, and that is with a drive-by appraisal. But given that these houses rent for $850 a month, 70K isn't bad for what I've seen people purchase houses for in other areas. An FHA loan for house hacking can only be done once every two years, and you must be owner-occupied during those two years. One of the ways to finance a house quickly is to use your retirement funds. This can be done without a tax liability either through a self-directed IRA or a solo401K. Solo401K is best for those who have any self-employment period. I'm a professor, which is obviously not self-employed, but because I do a little consulting on the side, I'm eligible. Otherwise a self-directed IRA is the way to go but it is more complicated. In any case, once I established my solo401K (ask Dmitriy how to do this) I then rolled over my other retirement accounts into it. That gave me the money to buy three more houses. But again, I live in an incredibly cheap area for purchasing real estate with fairly high rents. I don't think it is repeatable elsewhere.

  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Vic Iyer:

    As a professional investor over 10 years I have always emphasized quality over quantity. Since I invest on townhomes and SFH I tend to focus on good school zones and desirable neighbhorhoods. So don't worry about the number of units instead focus on ROI and capital appreciation!

     A very underrated post. Another issue I have with this site is the amount of "doors" people brag about. Location plays a major factor in that case. I have a single digit amount of doors because I invest in NJ. If I invested in the mid-west I would have 20-25 doors with the same amount of capital. That can make it appear someone is scaling, when in reality they're investing in an incredibly low cost of living area. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    In our area most home owners are blessed if they can find a seller taking them after spending months on it search on MLS. Yet, there is an investor finding 3-4 deals in Silicon Valley within days off market. Here secret is she has about 20 realtors, wholesalers working for her. She can get hard money with 10% of her own (norm is 50%).

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brianne H.:

    ... 

    @Account Closed could you tell me more about Subject To and Wraps? From my limited understanding, I thought that was a strategy that was a great approach until a lot of banks put the kibosh on it, and it's now very tricky to use?

    Private money - yes that's certainly an approach as well. 

    1031 exchanges - love the idea, not possible to do that in Canada, but is it possible for a Canadian to use a 1031 exchange in the US? I'm going to have to look into that further, because I don't know the answer. 

    Appreciation - also very understandable how this helps one to scale more quickly. Quite a bit more to do with luck and local economy that other factors. 

    Hard money - if I'm focusing on rentals, are the hard money rates worth it? Would most people use this only to fund a BRRR?

    Seller financing - Definitely a plus when you can make it work! For someone who is out of state/country, how likely is this to be an employable strategy? 

    Good point from the few people that pointed out that a lot of the podcast guests started in 2008-2012. A lot of them did. Awesome for them, but yeah it was a totally different market back then compared to now. 

    Brianna:

    We were told that 1031 exchanges are possible for Canadians in the U.S.A., but have not pursued it as there are tax implications (both a foreign national withholding in the U.S.A. and the CRA's position on the disposition of the property) and our present holdings are within a company.

    This is another instance where you need a good accountant, who understands business/real estate and taxation on both sides of the 49th.

    Wraps and "subject to" arrangements are possible in Canada, though not always practical.  Most residential mortgages in the U.S.A. have terms equal to their amortization, which makes something like a wrap attractive.  In Canada, mortgage terms vary from 6-months to 10-years with 80%+ being a term of 3 - 5 years.   This short runway makes a wrap a little less attractive.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    If your original home would be $70k underwater now if you didn't sell, the best place to invest is probably your backyard. Attractive prices and no long distance problems.  Most markets I know of in the states have had serious price gains.  Because of this I have sold 3x more than bought over the last 11 months. Buy when prices are down!

  • Dan ShelhamerPro Member
    Realtor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2015 · 163 posts · 99 votes
    8y

    Some ideas & things I have used to scale:

    • Cash flow Recycling - don't spend the money you make early on, reinvest it!
    • Partner - find good deals and money will find you!
    • Creative financing - house hacks, low down payments, getting credits from lenders or sellers, seller financing!
    • BRRRR strategy - my favorite method currently, pull your initial capital back out and keep using it over and over!
    • Creating systems to automate as much as you can!
    • Networking - you never know who you will meet and what they can bring to the table for you!
    • Refinancing & HELOC's!
    • Luck & Timing!
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    If you don't have the cash OPM. Works every time:)

  • Everett, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    People who scale quickly will also be the first crying Uncle when the downturn inevitably happens.

    Scaling just for scaling sake isn't where it's at. E😂 

    Don't believe all the HYPE. Lots of HucksterS here. 

     As long as you scale with solid cash flow then a downturn will not matter. Is it ironic that you call others hucksters, but fail to fill out your own profile? 

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Seller financing is the easiest way I have found. I have done quite a few now on high end homes in Memphis. I offer 1% above cash deposit rates but always pay asking price. Providing you present as professional and have a good attorney I have found little resistance. The last 3 homes we did this way were all $350,000 homes in East Memphis. 2 privately and 1 through a realtor. Sellers were all retiring/downsizing, debt free and didn't need the cash. If I was living in Memphis I reckon I could find 1 or 2 a month easy.  And with such low interest rate it is easy to make quality homes cashflow.

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    8y

    I don't feel like I lighting the world on fire, but maybe I'd fit in the thread starters description. Been investing for almost two years and have 11 units. I did by buying a personal residence and fixing it up (basically a long term flip). 

    Used that money plus savings to buy 12 somewhat distressed units. Fixed a lot of things and did value add to the property. Sold them in a 1031 to buy the 11 I have now in a better neighborhood (C class to B). 

    Time will tell but I believe I should be able to cash out refinance in about a year and come close to doubling my portfolio with that money. 

    Nothing magic about my story. I have a solid above average job, but nothing spectacular I assure you. 

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Dustin Beam, would be really informative for this thread to know how you avoided buying any lemons when you bought your 11 do ups?

  • Investor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 168 posts · 123 votes
    8y

    I agree a cross-border tax accountant is a must. Thanks for more explanation about the 1031s, @Ryan Thomas and others. I wouldn't even know where to start on tackling that sort of tax question. Far too many things to know that a good one is well worth the money. @Steve S. where are you investing? Thank you for the kind words, it's hard to feel that a flip is "successful" when you're not getting a whole lot out of it, but when everyone's house values are falling, keeping our equity and a little extra has to be worth something. 

    I haven't read Long Distance Real Estate Investing yet, but it's next on my list! Real Estate Note investing will get added in there too! I really know nothing about notes but would like to learn more. 

    There's another thing I've heard about HELOCs, and I don't know if it's true or not. I have heard that in Canada it's easy to get a HELOC, and it can be set up within a couple days. Near instant money if you need it. But in the US, I hear it's a long, drawn out process that takes like at least 6 weeks to get set up - can anyone confirm if there's any truth to this?

    I wouldn't mind buying here in Calgary at the moment, but house prices were quite inflated, and now it's coming back into a more reasonable level. I wouldn't call it cheap though, and who knows how long it will be until they start going up again. In the mean time, even with lower prices, I'd have a really hard time finding something that would cashflow, and if it does, it would probably only be about $200/m for a 2 unit, and I'd have to manage it myself. Not really worth the money and work for it <sigh>

    @Dean Letfus are you able to find these seller finance deals long distance (sounds like you aren't in Memphis)? How much down are you usually paying for these homes? 

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Brianne H. I did live in Memphis for a year so I could train people on these deals but yes I find them long distance. It's easier than it sounds. Look for any high end deal on the MLS for more than say 6 to 9 months. Almost always it is a price proud vendor. Contact agent and find out what the sellers deal is. If no debt and elderly then it is a potential go. Explain how the deal works and offer enough deposit to cover agents fees, (usually 3 or 6% in Memphis).

    The real key is being genuine. As we have done so many deals our attorney can vouch for us being reliable to complete the deal and so far we have not had one seller turn us down. When they cant sell and you are willing to pay asking price it is very attractive for them.

  • Investor · River City, Manitoba · Member since 2017 · 162 posts · 193 votes
    8y

    @Brianne H.

    In invest locally. My business plan is pretty simple. Buy a unit.... flip.... continue to build equity then with enough equity buy a unit and BRRR it and hold then back to the flips.

    My area is pretty solid... there's not any really big ups in the market and there's not any really big lows either.  Home values around here rise at a steady state of approximately 3-7% per year. I certainly can't say that at the rate I'm going I'l be some property barron... my goal is that when I retire from my full time job (this is a part time thing for me) that I will be comfortable with a decent passive income. If you end up looking to invest further than you live and think that my neck of the woods is appealing by all means let me know and I'd be happy to help any way I can.

  • Dean HarrisBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I have lived in Memphis my entire life. The key to finding the right property in Memphis is the source you use. The source you use should be dependent on what type of product you want to buy and how high you want your return to be. The investors I meet usually all have a different idea of what they want their dollar to do. The key is to find your product, then find a reliable source and then focus on that and master it!! 

    Best of Luck! 

    CrestCore Realty4.713 Reviews
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    I just went into deals as a LP.
  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Dean Letfus:

    @Dustin Beam, would be really informative for this thread to know how you avoided buying any lemons when you bought your 11 do ups?

     Hi Dean, sorry for the late response, I just saw your post. Can you expand on your question a little bit? I'm not totally sure what you mean.

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Dustin Beam, well as a newbie you bought 11 rehab properties, how did you make sure the deals you bought were good.  Most people are afraid of making mistakes or hear horror stories of newbies losing money. So how did you do so well as a new investor?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.