How far do you live from your rentals?

How far do you live from your rentals?

Rental Property Investor · Zainesville Ohio · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 9 votes
Just as the title reads. I’m about 45-60 miles from Columbus Ohio and think that is where I want to focus my investments. The drive doesn’t bother me much as I commute a lot already. How far do you live from your rentals and what would make you buy farther from home?
4Reply
224 views

Most Popular Reply

Will GastonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

@Account Closed I live about ~100 miles away. 

I previously lived within a few miles of all of them, but l'd argue that living farther away has made me a much better business owner. 

It has forced me to rely on others for help and to create systems and procedures for dealing with problems.

See this reply in the discussion

126 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    I live 570 and 750 miles from my rentals. I chose to buy long distance so I can live whereever I want and buy where it makes sense. Where I live is very expensive compared to where I buy rentals
  • Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2017 · 366 posts · 165 votes
    8y

    My rentals are all under a 45 minute driving time, I handle most repairs my self and find my own tenants, and belong to the local MLS. If I ever decide to invest much more passively the decision between local and long distance investments will become more of a conundrum.

  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    8y

    My rentals have been about 2 to 3 miles from me.  Anything outside a 45 minute round-trip commute would probably result in me interviewing management companies.

  • Yuma, AZ · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 137 votes
    8y
    15 miles radius in Arizona. I manage all properties myself.
  • Rental Property Investor · Lodi, CA · Member since 2018 · 206 posts · 115 votes
    8y

    I have some locally in California and some in Texas. with the rising prices in the Bay Area I started looking else where. They require the same amount of attention just in different ways.

    I don't think it'd hurt to interview property management and contractors even at 45-60 miles away. You never know when something could come up and you can't get there right away.

    Thanks,

    Mike

  • Rental Property Investor · Nevada City, CA · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    Approximately 2,340 miles away.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakalla, TX · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 24 votes
    8y
    2-4 hours by car
  • Specialist · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2016 · 145 posts · 100 votes
    8y
    All my tentals are within 45 minutes of my home. I get that some people donlkng distance investing even of single family homes, I would never do that unless apartment complex >100 units
  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Hawaii <=> Birmingham
  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Account Closed I live about ~100 miles away. 

    I previously lived within a few miles of all of them, but l'd argue that living farther away has made me a much better business owner. 

    It has forced me to rely on others for help and to create systems and procedures for dealing with problems.

  • Rental Property Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2018 · 59 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    2,300 miles to one property, and 1600 miles to another.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    I self manage and do all repairs myself.

    Distance not as important as drive time. I limit my properties to maximum 1 hr drive.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    One hour or 50 miles .
  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Newest SFH is 1st long distance rental for me - 2000 miles away.

    others 5 minutes from home. i do everything reno/repair/manage.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 145 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed I own some rental properties in Pensacola, Fl. I am retired from the Navy and now reside in Italy. So obviously I don't mind because I know that it doesn't matter how far you live from you rentals only matters if in the end you have a positive cash flow. Some other here also live in for example in Cali and own properties in the midwest. Again, it about your end goal. 

    Good luck

  • Alexandria, VA · Member since 2016 · 111 posts · 164 votes
    8y

    My first and only property is an hour drive from home.

  • Rental Property Investor · Zainesville Ohio · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    8y
    Thanks everyone!
  • Laurel, MD · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    30 minutes from where I live. 10 minutes from where I work.

  • Catskill, NY · Member since 2018 · 636 posts · 668 votes
    8y
    One is right next door, the other is a 5 minute drive away. I like them being close by but taxes in my area are pretty high so I’ve been looking about 30-45 min away. At that point I would probably have a PM or a good/trustworthy handyman.
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    Mine is 1,167 miles of driving or a simple 2.5 hour flight from Atlanta.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    I have had rentals as far as 900 miles away. Today they are max 1 hour easy country drive away, and I do not see that changing. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Everything within 2 min. drive. All in the same neighborhood and I live there as well. 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    All are within 20 minutes 

  • Member since 2018 · 88 posts · 72 votes
    8y

    15 minutes , but I still have a good PM.  Its worth the 10% for me not to be tied to the day to day.

  • Real Estate Investor · LIMA USA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Chino-Peru 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.