How far do you live from your rentals?

How far do you live from your rentals?

Rental Property Investor · Zainesville Ohio · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 9 votes
Just as the title reads. I’m about 45-60 miles from Columbus Ohio and think that is where I want to focus my investments. The drive doesn’t bother me much as I commute a lot already. How far do you live from your rentals and what would make you buy farther from home?
4Reply
217 views

Most Popular Reply

Will GastonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

@Account Closed I live about ~100 miles away. 

I previously lived within a few miles of all of them, but l'd argue that living farther away has made me a much better business owner. 

It has forced me to rely on others for help and to create systems and procedures for dealing with problems.

See this reply in the discussion

126 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    145 miles 2hrs away..... I have a team I can trust to handle issues.
  • Sharon PowellPro Member
    Realtor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 124 votes
    8y
    I’m 3 hours from mine, just close enough to be available if really needed but far enough away to let my systems do the work. ;)
  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    100 miles (one way) and I manage them myself. Anything further away would delay my response time in the case of emergency repairs. 

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 98 posts · 64 votes
    8y
    About 15 minutes at most but it's tougher to find deals in that space now
  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Closest: 18 minutes

    Farthest: 48 minutes

    Average: I'd say around 27 minutes

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes
    8y
    Probably an 8-hour drive. Different state. Don’t want to see them, don’t want them to even know who I am. Just keep paying your rent, don’t break anything, and we’ll get along great. Stay as long as you like. 😁 I buy turnkey and have property management take care of my properties.
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 515 posts · 247 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tony Robertson:

    My properties are within the county we live in (San Diego) but we'd like to start buying in markets in the Midwest, as Southern California and particularly San Diego has become increasingly difficult to acquire rental properties unless you're buying cash and/or have the cash to rehab. We're looking into Cleveland, Chicago, and Indianapolis but are a bit afraid to make the "leap" as they're too far from us. Would appreciate any advice from investors experienced in those areas.

     Hey Tony.  I'm an experienced investor in Chicago.  I have an outstanding property management company that I work with, an incredible GC, connects to various trades, etc.  PM me if you'd like to discuss further.  I'd be more than happy to share my knowledge of Chicago investing with you.  

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    All 4 are within 20-25 min, mostly due to me live outside the city limits
  • Investor · Oak Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 307 posts · 150 votes
    8y

    25 Minute drive in Chicago.  It used to b five minutes.  

    It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between distance and success, grouped by size of project i. e. single family and 100 units, etc.  

  • Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2017 · 76 posts · 40 votes
    8y

    I had one property in LA and one in Hawaii. I lived near Pago Pago. My wife managed the one in LA while we lived in Pago Pago. Now we are back living in the LA property and we still have the Hawaii property with a property manager. 

  • Investor · Savannah, GA · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 62 votes
    8y
    All but one are within 5 miles of my home. I like being able to drive by and check on houses easily.
  • Specialist · Victor, NY · Member since 2013 · 823 posts · 844 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Just as the title reads. I’m about 45-60 miles from Columbus Ohio and think that is where I want to focus my investments. The drive doesn’t bother me much as I commute a lot already.

    How far do you live from your rentals and what would make you buy farther from home?

     Mine range from 13 miles to 1150 miles from me.....but they are garages, not apartments.  When I did apartment rentals, they were all within 20 miles of my house. 

  • All Over, USA · Member since 2017 · 689 posts · 756 votes
    8y
    Will soon be 2,400 miles away. Ain’t nobody got time for that...except my PM!
  • Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Mine are within 30mins drive.

  • Pasadena, CA · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth and @Charlene McNamara

    Are you using a local property management company to collect rent, find tenants, and care for the property? If so, what steps did you take to find a property management company that suited your needs?

  • Realtor · Keystone Heights, FL · Member since 2015 · 340 posts · 118 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed I live in Charlottesville, VA and have rentals in Omaha, NE and Southern VA. When being that far away (1200 miles to the Omaha rentals) a good property manager or a team of local contractors that you can trust is key. Knowledge of the local area (I used to live in Omaha) is a must in order to understand the market you're getting into and how to be successful there.

  • Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    Initially all of ours were within 20 minutes of home. And they still are....except we've recently been spending 9 months a year either overseas or on our motorhome. The first couple of years we were fortunate enough to develop a good team at home. While we take all service calls and texts then remotely arrange for service. We have to pay someone to open doors, but we still handle leases and turnovers remotely by internet and phone. Has worked pretty well at about $2000 a year in extra expenses for 15 doors, a mix of SFH and small MF. Way less than PM. But not sure we could have done it from the beginning that way.

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I have projects in DC and from the bottom to the top of MD.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Paia, HI · Member since 2016 · 479 posts · 311 votes
    8y

    Less than an hour (all on the island of Maui). I am really uncomfortable with the thought of not being able to drive to them.

    Proximity to my residence is a huge factor in purchasing more real estate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    2710 miles away.

    We self manage 4 FAR in Jacksonville and that is where we want to retire soon.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    SFR

    Stupid autocorrect!

  • Eugene, OR · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Depending on how things turn out my first rental will be in my SDIRA and I'll be 2,657 miles away.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I own a triplex 15 miles from my home and I have never seen it. I found it on MLS, my offer was accepted. I had it inspected and appraised, for the mortgage company. I have great property management and no need to visit the property. June marks the one year anniversary of the property and it is the most profitable property I own.

    The real question is what business are you in, investment or Landlord? If you are an investor, then 15 mile or 1500 miles are the same. You will hire the best people to do the job and run the investment. If you are in the landlord business, then you better live close to the property. 

  • Brussels, Belgium · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    i have ine property about 7500 km away from me and another a bit under 9000 kn away.  Depends on the situation.  As an investment with good on site management, kinda doesn't matter.  I haven’t even ever seen one of my properties.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 139 posts · 98 votes
    8y

    Between 15 minutes to an hour. I like being within driving distance even though I use PM.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.