How far do you live from your rentals?

How far do you live from your rentals?

Rental Property Investor · Zainesville Ohio · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 9 votes
Just as the title reads. I’m about 45-60 miles from Columbus Ohio and think that is where I want to focus my investments. The drive doesn’t bother me much as I commute a lot already. How far do you live from your rentals and what would make you buy farther from home?
4Reply
216 views

Most Popular Reply

Will GastonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

@Account Closed I live about ~100 miles away. 

I previously lived within a few miles of all of them, but l'd argue that living farther away has made me a much better business owner. 

It has forced me to rely on others for help and to create systems and procedures for dealing with problems.

See this reply in the discussion

126 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · TX · Member since 2015 · 393 posts · 290 votes
    8y

    I can make a loop and see all 10 of my houses and travel less than 2 miles.  LOL  All of ours are in the small town we live in.

  • Flagstaff, AZ · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @Roger Hefner 

    Hi Roger, I also live in Arizona. I live in Flagstaff and I'm hoping to own my first investment property by the end of the year. How many properties do you own in Yuma? I'd be interested to know how the market is over there. Also, any advice you have as far as managing your own properties. Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Tyler, TX · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 46 votes
    8y

    we have 5 rentals. 3 are within 20 min of us, 1 is 2 hours but has a PM, and 1 is 8 hours and we manage it, but i also drive there once a month for work and have a maintenance man in town

    what i find to be more important than where i live in relationship to the rental as much as how far away Lowes or Home Depot is especially during the remodel phase

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    My rentals are 2 hours away from me. Its not so much the distance to consider but, who is your team. That is the question and the thing to consider. You could have a complex on the moon and it would not matter as long as you had a solid team and system in place.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    More than 2500 miles away... I still manage myself, but if I get more I may consider finding a management company. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 67 votes
    8y

    I am just over 2,000 miles away from my primary market. Currently living in Southern California and investing in Indianapolis.  I purchased for cash flow as in California the only way to buy with cash flow requires more time and work than I had to put in with my full time day job.  So far I am happy with my choice.

  • Realtor · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2016 · 373 posts · 203 votes
    8y

    Across the country

  • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    My investments are all within a couple of miles of my house.  I self manage my units so I like to be able to get there quickly if needed, but I also make sure that the tenants do not know where I live.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2016 · 258 posts · 177 votes
    8y
    I love 20 miles from my Rentals and manage them myself.
  • Rock Hill, SC · Member since 2015 · 104 posts · 209 votes
    8y
    I house hack so down the hall.
  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    12,249 km. Currently living in Asia!

  • Realtor · Schaumburg, IL · Member since 2011 · 289 posts · 118 votes
    8y
    1 hr and under
  • Property Manager · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    My properties are within the county we live in (San Diego) but we'd like to start buying in markets in the Midwest, as Southern California and particularly San Diego has become increasingly difficult to acquire rental properties unless you're buying cash and/or have the cash to rehab. We're looking into Cleveland, Chicago, and Indianapolis but are a bit afraid to make the "leap" as they're too far from us. Would appreciate any advice from investors experienced in those areas.

  • Realtor · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2016 · 373 posts · 203 votes
    8y

    @Tony Robertson

    Short Term Rental! If you have a good cleaner you always have eyes on the property to make sure everything is going well.

  • Greenville, IL · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    My first complex is a 25 minute drive.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wakefield, MA · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 21 votes
    8y
    My property is about 50 minutes away. Personally I don’t mind the drive. Typically I listen to a podcast there and back so every time I go out is extra productive. That being said, if you are located in a market that suits your needs I think the closer you are the easier it will be.
  • Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 142 votes
    8y

    my properties are in Canada and I live in California...I continue to self manage from long distance, no issues if you’ve built a good support network. 

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    7014 miles :-).

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 733 votes
    8y

    Current, my furtherest investment is 2 hours away. Willing to go a little further as long as the asset hits or exceeds all my investing criteria. 

  • Property Manager · Wisconsin and Florida · Member since 2017 · 346 posts · 227 votes
    8y

    They are at various distances. We rely on local people to handle boots on the ground work but we manage the bookings centrally. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Corning, NY · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 11 votes
    8y
    I live across the street from one and 20 minutes from the other. For me, the closer the better. Corning, NY
  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 20 votes
    8y
    1,060 from one. In the process of purchasing one right now that’s about 1,600 miles away. Mine are short-term vacation rentals.
  • Andy WebbPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2013 · 750 posts · 538 votes
    8y

    The farthest is 50 miles, the closest is about 3 miles.  Looking farther afield these days though...

  • Daniel SomersPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tiffin, OH · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    All within 3 miles of my home

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 138 votes
    8y

    I live in San francisco and my investments are in Columbus and Atlanta so about 4 to 7 hour flight away.  I feel like if I live any closer, it wouldn't make much difference as everything is still just phone calls and emails. Besides if my investments were close, i may not be able to sleep at night because I may want to micro manage everything driving my PM nuts.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.