My experience with Sunrise Capital (Mobile Home Fund)

My experience with Sunrise Capital (Mobile Home Fund)

Coppell, TX · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 19 votes

I am an accredited investor looking to deploy capital. Recently we had a not-so-pleasant experience with Sunrise Capital. I am sharing my experience as I believe that TIME is the ultimate currency in life. I am simply hoping to prevent folks on BP from having their time wasted.

Three weeks ago, I heard a podcast about Kevin Bupp's Mobile Home Park Fund, by Sunrise Capital Partners. I went to the company website and signed up as a potential investor.

Got an automated welcome email from Sunrise partner, Brian Spear, which asked me to read the fund's PPM and schedule a phone call with him. The PPM was long but very well written. Great job there! 

I spent hours and hours reading through the PPM, doing due diligence, and typed up questions for the scheduled investor call with Brian Spear. Later I got an email confirmation of my upcoming meeting with Brian. I shuffled some of my other meetings around in order to accommodate this call with Brian. However, when the time came, I never received that phone call from Brian, all day, all week!

I thought maybe the fund is full, or maybe Brian simply forgot about it. So I emailed Brian to check. No response. 

I later called Brian's office number. No response. 

Then I texted his cell phone, using the phone numbers displayed in the email Brian sent me. No response. 

At this point, due to all the mixed messages I have received from Sunrise, I started to wonder if they are still in business. I pulled out the latest podcast from Kevin Bupp. They are still advertising for Sunrise Capital in the podcast, and broadcasted a new phone number in that show. I called the new number, spoke to their answering service lady. She informed me that they are still in business and recommended me to schedule another call with Brian Spear. She schedule a call for the next day. Later I got an email confirmation about the upcoming meeting. Again, I moved some of my personal meetings to accommodate the second call with Brian Spear.  Re-read the PPM to refresh my memories. 

Again, he never called, all day, all week!

At this point, I am so fed-up with the lack of professionalism from Sunrise Capital, and fed-up with all the time Sunrise has wasted me. If this is how they are treating a potential investor/customer who will bring them money, I wonder how they are going to treat existing investors who already have their capital tied up with Sunrise.

Hope I am the last one!  

Sunrise Capital, please fix your system!

10Reply
714 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan MurdockPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Account Closed

If there are maintenance concerns that's an entirely different issue. Address them with the management company. 

Nothing is forcing you to stay in that park. If the rents and upkeep are really as unreasonable as you claim there should be other cheaper and better solutions nearby. 

See this reply in the discussion

70 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Andover, MA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    I was surprised to read your post.  I have been an investor with Sunrise and have not shared your experience.  I have found them to be very responsive to my questions. 

  • Specialist · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 626 posts · 700 votes
    8y

    @Sophie Sawyer while I do not know Kevin and Brian personally, I have heard good things about them, so I am surprised to hear of your poor experience as well.  I am passionate about mobile home parks and am quite familiar with the MHP investment space, so feel free to PM me and I will do my best to offer perspective and point you in the right direction.  

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    Sorry to hear about your challenges...not fun.  I just committed to fund II.  I vet a lot of passive offerings and am particularly active in MHP, SS, and MF.  Feel free to reach out with any questions.

  • Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 579 posts · 301 votes
    8y

    All businesses can hit speed bumps during any growth period.  I applaud Brian for personally reaching out to respond to the situation and make sure things are addressed going forward.  Would love to have you or Kevin come speak to our investor group.

  • Ian IppolitoBusiness Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Hi @Brian Spear, I seem to be having the same problem as @Sophie?  I made a reservation for 2 PM today for you to call me, but never got a call.  I also sent you a reminder email and tried calling your phone # (and left a message). I have many questions so will someone be reaching out to me soon?

    The Real Estate Crowdfunding Review
    View Page
  • Ian IppolitoBusiness Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    My fault! Scheduled for next Monday! (sheepish grin). :)

    The Real Estate Crowdfunding Review
    View Page
  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Bump. Anyone else have any input on Sunrise Capital?

  • Investor · bristol, RI · Member since 2017 · 52 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    can any fund 1 investors with sunrise share the distribution and fund performance information to date?

  • Investor · bristol, RI · Member since 2017 · 52 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    Had a call scheduled with Sunrise today and Brian called right on time. He answered all my questions and followed up with an email further addressing my questions. Thanks Brian.

  • Jackson, MI · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Brian was great on the phone call and with his follow up. First class.

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Brian was great on the phone call and with his follow up. First class.

     I can attest to that. I am all "invested out" I believe, got into many projects over the last couple of months. I would invest in Sunrise Capital, but I didn't get the impression that they would accept $50K as an initial investment, which I always like to do to try out a new firm (for me) and to diversify geography and risk.

  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Sophine,

    I am a resident in the Akron Mobile Home Park, Akron NY and a board member on the Akron MHP tenants association. We have repeatedly ask to speak to Mr. Bupp but have not hear one word or email form him. SCI has also repeatedly said they are there for the residents and want the best for them. We have found that SCI wants nothing to do with us and only responds to us (our tenants and tenants association) through the hired management company M. Shapiro and their local attorney Sean MacKenize. When SCI first took over our park went right down hill. Snow plowing was terrible, when spring arrived the common area grass mowing was terrible as well. We have had all kinds of issue with the water meter reading too, and getting lot rent invoices in a timely manor. We have done extensive research on both SCI and M. Shapiro and you would think they would know how to run a mobile home park correctly. We have had nothing but problems here showing us they do not care about anything except to jack up lot rents to make a quick buck. We are not against them making money just not the way they are doing it by charging high lot rent to fixed income, low income and elderly in our park that have had affordable housing for years with the old "mom / pop" owner.

    Shawn Sheedy - AMHPTA

  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Sunrise Capital Investors are cowards and refuse to speak to us tenants face to face  at the Akron mobile home park. They says they are such a great company and are looking out for all the mobile home tenants of the parks they own but to contact them and have them respond back, they never have. They go through a management company, M. Shapiro out of Michigan. We are in a fight over jacked up lot rents that are going to make most of the mobile home park move out as they are either low income / fixed income tenants or are elderly and just cannot afford these high rents. There is no other local affordable housing in the area. These people are living comfortable where they are now but not for long with SCI's practices to just make a quick buck. They spell this out very clearly in Kevin Bupp's pod casts. I have found things on the internet they make Kevin Bupp out as a great humanitarian and family man. If he is these thing you'd think he would take the time to speak to us directly and not hide. Very poor company in my opinion.

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Sunrise Capital Investors are cowards and refuse to speak to us tenants face to face  at the Akron mobile home park. They says they are such a great company and are looking out for all the mobile home tenants of the parks they own but to contact them and have them respond back, they never have. They go through a management company, M. Shapiro out of Michigan. We are in a fight over jacked up lot rents that are going to make most of the mobile home park move out as they are either low income / fixed income tenants or are elderly and just cannot afford these high rents. There is no other local affordable housing in the area. These people are living comfortable where they are now but not for long with SCI's practices to just make a quick buck. They spell this out very clearly in Kevin Bupp's pod casts. I have found things on the internet they make Kevin Bupp out as a great humanitarian and family man. If he is these thing you'd think he would take the time to speak to us directly and not hide. Very poor company in my opinion.

    Someone can try tagging @Brian Spear if he wants to comment on this.

  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    I would love to speak to Brian Spears. We were in Florida to either speak to Kevin Bupp, Joanna Bupp, Brian Spears, or Charles DeHart but we got nowhere. Supposedly Brian Spears was at his residence in Florida, when we knocked on his door nicely, but he would not answer. We (the AMHPTA) know this as we got a "cease and desist" order in which it stated we banged on the door and tried to push our way into his apartment when he answered. This is all total BS all made up. This is how they are cowards. He never answered his door. We taped an invitation letter to his door to give to SCI's Kevin Bupp.

  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    As you can see in this string on comments Brian Spears account is closed. What does that tell you?????

  • Joshua DiazPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 165 votes
    7y

    Brian Spears’ account still looks open to me.  He did respond to someone whose account was closed and their original post removed so it does sort of look like he is talking to himself.

  • Ryan MurdockPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed

    If there are maintenance concerns that's an entirely different issue. Address them with the management company. 

    Nothing is forcing you to stay in that park. If the rents and upkeep are really as unreasonable as you claim there should be other cheaper and better solutions nearby. 

  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    We are working with a group MH Action and HCR of NYS to get laws in place in NYS so that greedy corporate MHP owners cannot drastically raise the lot rents in MHP's. There are bills going through now and we are pushing law makers to support, back, and pass these laws. There is also a law going through to give MHP residents (that have a MHPTA) the first right of refusal. We are woking to by the park back so that our residents can stay in their home and not have to worry about having to go to a retirement or old folks home.

    All of you that disagree go dig in someone else's pockets. There is a humanitarian way to make money.

  • Griffin, GA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 82 votes
    7y

    love it 

  • Ryan MurdockPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed

    If I understand you correctly it appears you are expecting a property owner to subsidize your rent at a below market rate....which in essence means you'd be digging in their pockets, not the other way around as you have accused.

    I don't see how the effort to enact laws after the fact changes your current situation.  Why not just buy your own mobile home park and let everyone live for free? 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    "Holding onto a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die." –Buddha

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 139 posts · 136 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    We are working with a group MH Action and HCR of NYS to get laws in place in NYS so that greedy corporate MHP owners cannot drastically raise the lot rents in MHP's. There are bills going through now and we are pushing law makers to support, back, and pass these laws. There is also a law going through to give MHP residents (that have a MHPTA) the first right of refusal. We are woking to by the park back so that our residents can stay in their home and not have to worry about having to go to a retirement or old folks home.

    All of you that disagree go dig in someone else's pockets. There is a humanitarian way to make money.

    Cool, beg for more laws. Know what will happen? No one will invest where you live, and suddenly you’ll be dragging that mobile home out with your Dodge pickup. 

    MHPs are an eyesore, and board members of every growing city can’t wait for a developer to bulldoze the park and throw up some condos. Ask for more government, and you’ll see what it’s like to be treated like a second class citizen. 

  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Jeremy Hua and Ryan Murdock - ********t. Again you are just like all the other greedy ones out there. Our village does quite well for it's self. What is you had a relative living in a park like ours and a big corporation took over and jacked up lot rents so high that your relative or even a friend was forced to go elsewhere. Again all you think of is the all mighty dollar and not about people. We are humans just like you but I guess your so much better than us because you have more $ than us. Be human and think of others and not just yourself. MHP's are not eye sores and sorry if you think like that. Again you must be better than us. Again you know nothing of our village it is small and not some big city. Get your facts straight before you comment. - ********.  We are not treated as second class in our village. Sorry for being that way but all you greedy SOB's all think the same out just for yourselves

  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    By the way since Sunrise Capital Investors took over our small village MHP they have been nothing but terrible. We went through two managers in the first half of the year (who lived 20 or so minutes away). The snow plowing/salting and common area lawn mowing were terrible the first half of the year. The Management company (M. Shapiro) cannot get monthly invoices out to us in a timely manner (they have to do this as we pay for water and the water meter reading are on the invoices). Plus they have not been able to read the water meters now, as the new manager (and the management company) because the equipment does not work now. They say the new equipment is ordered but we have not heard they have it yet. This has been told to us for the last 4 months. They did have the equipment to do this, as the old park manager (from the old private owner) is on our tenants board, and he knew the system. He taught the first manager the system (he was hired by SCI) but then he had to go to court to get his money for doing that. Plus we know that SCI was late paying the taxes this year and paying the village the water bill (we have another person on our board that works for the town we live in) who knew this (we pay the park for water and they pay the village). What does all this tell you about a company like SCI who say they buy MHP's all the time. You'd think they know what they are doingand know how to run parks. The ypromise the world and a happy, friendly place to live but then they they do nothing. We have had complaints from just about every tenant going on all year long.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.