Best state to Invest ???

Most Popular Reply

Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

Texas. 

Enough said.

See this reply in the discussion

83 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Texas. 

    Enough said.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @jasonhirko i was actually just about to invest in a 8 unit in Edinburg texas however the frequent flooding occurrence's stopped me what advice can you give me on that ? Ill stop the invest on the grounds of flooding natural diasters frequently happening in the state or area should i be worried about that or nah ? The same thing made me shy away from florida too ? 

    Besides that though what cities are the best to invest in In texas ? 

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    7y

    @Darius Anderson Can't go wrong with almost any state in the Midwest right now. Tough market here in Cincinnati area right now with so much outside money coming in, but there are deals, it's just beating everyone else to them that is an issue.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @grant rothenburger I've been looking in the midwest in kansas, wyoming and a couple other states just trying to stay away from the flooding its hectic especially if you leveraging with lender money just very cautious you know.

  • Gillette, WY · Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    I'm new enough to investing where you'll have to take my opinion with a grain of salt.  That being said, all states are going to have ups and downs to investing.  I don't think you can go wrong with the buy and hold strategy if the deal is good enough.  Im in Wyoming which I think  is pretty good now and there's money to be made.  We are headed for an oil and gas boom.   But when it busts, you don't want to be the one standing without a chair.  The Black hills in South Dakota is pretty hot right now.  

    I would imagine if you have flood insurance the flooding in Texas is not going to deture someone from investing, would it?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

    Texas. 

    Enough said.

     Homer !!!!

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Darius Anderson:

    @jasonhirko i was actually just about to invest in a 8 unit in Edinburg texas however the frequent flooding occurrence's stopped me what advice can you give me on that ? Ill stop the invest on the grounds of flooding natural diasters frequently happening in the state or area should i be worried about that or nah ? The same thing made me shy away from florida too ? 

    Besides that though what cities are the best to invest in In texas ? 

     Anywhere in the Valley is a great place to invest right now - the growth is tremendous and the sheer number of people crossing the border each day at the limited number of entrance points is staggering and driving the local economies. And as for natural disasters - get insurance, or just chance it. Anywhere you invest is going to have some risk of disaster... fires, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc. 

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Daric Myers, I applaud your enthusiasm, but I am very cautious about Wyoming right now except for Cheyenne, and possibly Casper.  Barring a war or major interruption in oil production in the middle east, I am hoping for a gradual recovery, but I am not convinced we are out of the woods yet on a bust cycle.  It will only take a $10 drop in oil prices to hammer us back down.

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2018 · 66 posts · 21 votes
    7y
    @Jason Hirko Jason, I’ve been interested in looking into Texas for potential investments, can u elaborate on which areas of Texas?? So I can start my research. Thank u so much
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    @Darius Anderson theres no right answer. I chose to move to Florida to invest because I believe it will have continue to grow in population, has no income tax, low property taxes, and is relatively landlord friendly. Plus no winter season to slow things down. Of course there are negatives.... hurricanes, insururance is a little higher, lower income than where I'm from (northeast). There are positives and negatives for every region, so you'll have to weigh those and decide.
  • Real Estate Agent · Joplin, MO · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    @Darius Anderson I've had a lot of investors start buying in Joplin, Mo. I'm an investor, but got my real estate license about 6 months ago.
  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Idaho, no doubt! In reality, the RE market is good everywhere. If you buy right, your returns will generally be relative to your investment. If you are interesting in investing here in the Boise area (fastest growing metro in the country...) shoot me a PM, I help investors all over the world. 

    Regardless of where you invest, good luck!

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jenna Lee:
    @Jason Hirko Jason, I’ve been interested in looking into Texas for potential investments, can u elaborate on which areas of Texas?? So I can start my research. Thank u so much

     When it comes to buy and hold, I could make an argument for any area you name in Texas. Rio Grande Valley is a great play for low priced homes (you can get the 2% rule there and some speculative appreciation), between San Antonio and Austin is the fastest growing area of the country, Houston and Dallas have excellent $100k neighborhoods that are great passive 1% plays, the Permian Basin is blowing up right now, etc., etc.

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    7y
    @Darius Anderson I believe every state has its pros and cons. It depends on what exactly you are looking for. I am in Mississippi and it has been a great place to invest. Taxes are lower in most parts. There are multiple cities with large universities where housing available doesn’t meet the demand.
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 14 votes
    7y
    @Rachel Graves i briefly looked into the market in Mississippi and there were great properties i do need to however connect with wholesellers , realtors, investors and like minds to elevate my network open the market alot more aslo i need to know more about the cities and areas by the class and quality of living so i can narrow down the searches i been diligently looking and analyzing the statistics however its better having a contact that knows the area you know.
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 14 votes
    7y
    @Jason Hirko thank you i am looking upper texas as of now and your right appreciate the insight
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 14 votes
    7y
    @Daric Myers im definitely going to have insurance what are you looking into in the early stages of your career?
  • Gillette, WY · Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    Im looking for flip opportunities at the moment.  I'm scared of buy and hold in Wyoming at the moment.  I've been doing a little research in Springfield Illinois for buy and hold, but I'd like to increase my cash reserves a bit before jumping in.  What are your thoughts on my plan.  I want to be a buy and hold investor eventually, but I have some financial messes to clean up before I can move forward.  I wasn't very wise with my money in my youth...lol

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    @Daric Myers I tend to agree with @Jerry W. from the standpoint that betting on oil (or some other one-trick economies) can be dangerous. That being said, trouble is brewing in the middle east. The Saudis are pushing oil low to try to hold off repercussions from cutting a journalist into pieces in their embassy. I predict that won't go well and combined with Iran's recent cyber attacks on the US, there is major trouble brewing in the middle east. That could mean higher oil prices on the horizon.  However, if oil goes lower, it can destroy the economy of any city that relies heavily on oil. 

    As far as the Black Hills of South Dakota, the major industry there is tourism. There is also a military base in Rapid City. There is risk with both of those industries. Tourism is hit very hard during a recession and military base closures are always possible. Ellsworth has been on the closure list before, but rescued. If political power shifts in 2020, reduction in military spending is guaranteed - doesn't mean base closure but there is risk. There is mining in the Black Hills, but with some major mines closing, that is also a risky industry. I love the Black Hills and South Dakota, but if we are being honest about best state to invest I think there is better choices. 

    Full disclosure, all my real estate is in South Dakota, but I live here. Which brings me to my answer of  best state to invest in. It is whatever state you live in. Buy local, because it is the market you know best and proximity to investments makes them easier to watch. There are many out-of-state investing rock stars, but far more have failed out-of-state than succeeded. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Darius Anderson:
    @Rachel Graves i briefly looked into the market in Mississippi and there were great properties i do need to however connect with wholesellers , realtors, investors and like minds to elevate my network open the market alot more aslo i need to know more about the cities and areas by the class and quality of living so i can narrow down the searches i been diligently looking and analyzing the statistics however its better having a contact that knows the area you know.

     @Darius Anderson I would be happy to assist you! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Rachel Graves so i am looking in the area and there is a lot of great properties its all about narrowing it down to the areas that are going to be the properties to have now for the return and later for the appreciation as well as the location making absolute sense as far as the economic stand point. What do you ideally look for in a property? And what exactly will make it stand out to you when you go to analyze it besides the numbers.

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    @Darius Anderson I think anywhere in the southern US is a safe bet. Cashflow, low taxes (except Texas), business friendly state governments (jobs), and above all projected population growth. Demographic projections are saying people and industry are moving south, and will be for some time.
  • Specialist · Dallas, TX · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 252 votes
    7y

    Answer: Texas

    Why: Few of research articles for reference here....

    Oxford Economics: World cities with maximum population and GDP growth by 2030 - (Dallas)

    https://www.oxfordeconomics.com/Media/Default/landing-pages/cities/OE-cities-summary.pdf

    PWC: US Cities to watch in 2019 - (Dallas)

    https://ulidigitalmarketing.blob.core.windows.net/marketingfliers/Emerging_Trends_in_Real_Estate_2019.pdf

    Fastest growing Metros in US - (Houston, DFW, Austin…)

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/here-are-the-fastest-growing-metros-in-the-usand-their-affordability-2018-10-19

  • Hard Money Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 21 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    low taxes (except Texas)

    This is such a common misconception. In California, you pay 1% in property taxes. In Texas, I pay about 1.9%. BUT I'm not paying 13% in state income tax! If you're doing it right, you'll gladly make that trade for no state income tax!


  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jasen Miller:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    low taxes (except Texas)

    This is such a common misconception. In California, you pay 1% in property taxes. In Texas, I pay about 1.9%. BUT I'm not paying 13% in state income tax! If you're doing it right, you'll gladly make that trade for no state income tax!

    Preach! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.