What would you do? Sell or rent primary residence?

What would you do? Sell or rent primary residence?

Real Estate Agent · American Fork, UT · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 7 votes
What would you do in this situation? I am currently living in a live in flip house with a great interest rate 3.25% with a mortgage around $825 a month, 6 beds 2200 sq ft in an amazing neighborhood next to a top rated elementary school. I have about $200,000 in equity. As great of a home as it is my family is growing out of it and my wife is ready for a new home. So should I keep the home and rent it out for about 1700 a month and take out home equity loan for a down payment for our next home? Or sell it put all the equity in next home and build and add an apartment in the basement with the goal of keeping mortgage payments close to what it was but with a larger more functional house. (This is what the wife wants to do). Or sell and do another live in flip and do the same thing we did with this house. Lets see how creative you are...
0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · CT · Member since 2014 · 687 posts · 329 votes
7y

Since you are the man of the house, you should do what your wife wants to do. :)

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    Probably depends on your strategy and how well any of those scenarios fit into it.  With that much equity, it doesn't seem like you can go wrong either way.  I like to compare the cashflow I would get from holding the property for a period of time vs what I would get by selling the property.  I had a 30-year mortgage on a live in flip my wife and I were working on.  We planned to start renting the property at day 366 of ownership.  However, the market had changed enough in the area that we were able to sell and make more than what we would have cash flowed over the remianing 29 years of ownership.  Of course not everyone plans to fulfill every year of their mortgage but that is how I have decided before.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y

    Depends on the tax benefits to me.  Capital gain tax exclusion.

    What did you pay for the house? What will it sell for?  Were you there for at least 24 months?

    You can still rent it out, but no longer than 35 months to get the tax break.  

    Maybe get a heloc, then do a 2 yr lease with option to buy at a make me move price with a good tenant buyer.  No commissions when you sell and you still get the tax break.

    The recurring reason for me is the tax break.  If you have no gain to protect, then I'd get a Heloc and rent it out. Sounds like a good house to keep.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    seriously look at your 500k tax free sale..

  • Tyler RowlandBusiness Member
    Lender · Cedar City, UT · Member since 2017 · 88 posts · 64 votes
    7y

    My wife and I were put into a similar situation down south of you. We decided to sell, and take the equity and do a house hack with a duplex. The deal has been good so far and we are happy about it. But the duplex was definitely a downgrade from the house with the good equity. If I could have bought an investment property such as a flip or a good 1% to 2% deal with a HELOC I would have done that. Because then we would not have had to down grade our living situation. But the circumstance did not permit. We are learning a lot with our duplex, stuff we were willing to learn first hand. I hope this helps in some way. You question sure helped me think of things that can be done with the equity. Thanks!

    Tyler Rowland with Intercap Lending 554 Reviews
  • Property Manager · CT · Member since 2014 · 687 posts · 329 votes
    7y

    Since you are the man of the house, you should do what your wife wants to do. :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.