Hello BP community!
I attended a real estate networking event this evening in my hometown of San Diego, CA, and during a segment where we each stood up and introduced ourselves to the group, I mentioned that I was interested in doing the BRRRR strategy and purchasing my first rental property in Ohio by the end of 2019 - someone in the crowd shouted out "Mistake!" I spoke with this person later in the evening and she informed me that Ohio would be a terrible place to invest. Any thoughts? Am I making a huge mistake by looking to invest in Ohio?
Thank you in advance for your insights.
I think it is probably a mistake.
I assume you are choosing Ohio for its low price. This low price is due to historically poor appreciation. Leveraged appreciation has an amazing effect on return.
The first BRRRR process is challenging if done locally; real challenging if done OOS. I have done a few BRRRR and have yet to achieve the textbook BRRRR. Mostly I find the refinance LTV combined with the low refinance appraisals prevent me from extracting all of my investment.
So if you choose to go OOS here is some advice:
Im not even a first time investor but trying to run a rehab just here in town takes a good bit of effort. Then mix in OOS and you dont really have much if any relationship with the contractor or PM.....I think i would have to be extremely confident in my core 4 in that state. You might be able to do it if you were taking regular trips out here to Ohio but you would still need someone in state who could point you in the right direction about location and contacts.
if your dead set on Ohio there are pleanty of people who are trust worthy around, I wouldnt mind to lend a hand. But i agree with everyone else that it takes alot of work and you also would still need to be making trips out here to check on your progress.
Everyone go back and read @Dan H.'s answer. He absolutely nails it. I might be sending every newbie investor who calls me a link to his post here.