How's the Real Estate Market around Austin

How's the Real Estate Market around Austin

Rental Property Investor 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2019 路 11 posts 路 4 votes

I recently just moved here and was just wondering if Austin and surrounding areas have good potential for some Real Estate investments.

2Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 715 posts 路 527 votes
6y

@Shane Davis

I think the right approach would be to figure out your investment goal and what you are comfortable with and can manage and then work with an expert in that area to map out the strategy and next steps. Because if I tell you the most profitable venture would be to buy a lot in downtown Austin and tear it down to make a skyscraper that advise would probably not be applicable :)

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 715 posts 路 527 votes
    6y

    It's been going gangbusters :)


    Austin is No. 1 in overall real estate prospects and also No. 1 in local expectation of investor demand in 2020. In identifying Austin as a top-tier city several years ago, our analysis considered many salient features: its deep pool of talent, unique and popular lifestyle, and ambitious commitment to business and real estate expansion 馃挵馃彔馃ぉ

    https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u...

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 5k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Shane Davis yes it does. I'm currently investing in East Austin.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2019 路 11 posts 路 4 votes
    6y

    Isn't it fairly expensive to invest here?

    @Jordan Moorhead

    @Neil Narayan

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 715 posts 路 527 votes
    6y

    It depends :) 

    You go to surrounding areas for cheaper prices or go with smaller units such as Condos in Austin. It is not as cheap as some other cities but we have the one of the strongest growth potential so Austin is considered more of an appreciation play. You may want to talk to an Investment expert to outline your investment strategy and then can recommend options that fit your goal 

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 5k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Shane Davis I invest for the long term and have made good returns so far. I don't invest in low cost markets, there's a reason they're low cost. Louisville is the "cheapest" place I invest.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Louisville, KY 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jordan Moorhead:

    @Shane Davis I invest for the long term and have made good returns so far. I don't invest in low cost markets, there's a reason they're low cost. Louisville is the "cheapest" place I invest.

     We love our cashflow! 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2019 路 11 posts 路 4 votes
    6y

    What type of properties do you find are the most profitable here in Austin or surrounding areas?

    @Rob Bergeron

    @Jordan Moorhead

    @Neil Narayan

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 715 posts 路 527 votes
    6y

    @Shane Davis

    I think the right approach would be to figure out your investment goal and what you are comfortable with and can manage and then work with an expert in that area to map out the strategy and next steps. Because if I tell you the most profitable venture would be to buy a lot in downtown Austin and tear it down to make a skyscraper that advise would probably not be applicable :)

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 5k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Shane Davis I just finished a pretty big rehab but like @Neil Narayan you need to figure out what you want to do and what you're comfortable with. I wouldn't recommend a $60,000 rehab for a new investor that's never done anything. I'd recommend househacking.

  • Investor 路 Leander, TX 路 Member since 2016 路 296 posts 路 402 votes
    6y

    You would be able to accumulate more properties out of state as well as cash flow on SFH, as Texas is pretty pricy and the cash flow is consumed by ever growing property taxes and insurance premiums (#14 in the country on the increase).

    I pay $7,130 in property taxes on 5 total properties out of state (Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio) and $6,000 on one in-state (Texas) (my residential) 

    If it is for appreciation, then Texas is a good market.

    All the best!

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2012 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    You can cash flow on sfh but not from the start. It takes time. In primo areas its impossible to cash flow. I was weighing the pros and cons of a sfh rental off south congress. If I buy it as a straight rental then it won't cash flow, imo for about 5 years but the appreciation is insane there. So its a trade-off. I am cash flowing on a few sfh's but I bought them at a discount and have owned them for quite some time. Multifamily is much easier to cash flow though

  • Rental Property Investor 路 CO 路 Member since 2017 路 11 posts 路 1 vote
    6y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Gordy:

    You can cash flow on sfh but not from the start. It takes time. In primo areas its impossible to cash flow. I was weighing the pros and cons of a sfh rental off south congress. If I buy it as a straight rental then it won't cash flow, imo for about 5 years but the appreciation is insane there. So its a trade-off. I am cash flowing on a few sfh's but I bought them at a discount and have owned them for quite some time. Multifamily is much easier to cash flow though

    Be very careful, one bump in this economy and you will be in trouble real fast.  I well remember 2010-2013. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.