L&I Inspectors, fines and permits

L&I Inspectors, fines and permits

Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2014 · 231 posts · 12 votes

Dear BP family,

I am investing in Philadelphia, PA (Philly) and I heard that the L&I inspectors recently became very active and give out many fines and demand many permits.

I was wondering, what exactly requires a permit and what could be fixed/rehabbed without one? 

Thank you all in advance, 

Eli M

0Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kevin MoyerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 269 posts · 301 votes
    6y

    Eli,

    L&I has been very difficult recently. A few investors I work with are swearing off the City after having to work through L&I issues. 

    Go on the City website to see what "requires" a permit and what can be done without one. There are "EZ" permits which can be drawn more easily than permits requiring drawings/plans. No one seems to know exactly what type of permit is required for what type of work/renovation. You can talk with 4 different people and get 4 different answers.

    When you enter into agreements with contractors, make sure to include "all required permits" and "compliance with all laws" as their responsibilities. Contractors are SUPPOSED to know what is required through L&I and they should obtain the proper permits. Make sure they are drawing permits and closing them out correctly. Best of luck

    Otter Property Management4.8624 Reviews
  • Joseph ODonovanPro Member
    Property Manager · Ridley, PA · Member since 2017 · 427 posts · 449 votes
    6y

    @Kevin Moyer You are spot on about the confusion with the new L&I regulations. Not only are contractors and investors confused, but L&I themselves tell you something one day and something different the next. The biggest issue is regarding non-owner occupied single family dwellings. Any permitted work must come with Architectural plans even for lite interior permits. No more EZ permits will be issued unless you are the owner occupant. I know a few investors who recently bailed on city properties as they prefer the counties to be much easier to navigate.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.