BRRRR Success AND Failure - Lessons Learned in 2019

BRRRR Success AND Failure - Lessons Learned in 2019

Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes

Hi All, 

Just wanted to post my experience with BRRRR method. I invested in Lansing, MI. I am originally from Grand Rapids, MI and currently live out of state in MN. Below is my 2019 experience jumping into real estate. LLong post ahead. Hopefully I cover the main points fully. So please follow up if you have any questions!

To get the capital for below it was a mix of savings and a HELOC on my primary residence.

TL;DR In 2019 I purchased a SFR and a Duplex in Lansing, MI. My first property was a fail due to an expensive rehab and margins that are way too slim. The duplex was for the most part a success. I was able to cash out most of my money and have a pretty good cash flowing property. I bolded my mistakes below. I probably made several more, these are just the ones that come to mind.

I will start with the BRRRR FAIL. In March 2019, I purchased a 3/1 SFR in Northwest Lansing. The purchase price was $35000. Based on my analysis at the time, I thought the property would be worth $52000 after rehab. Based on the photos of the home, I had thought it was a pretty easy rehab with simply replacing the water heater, paint, and some other cosmetic updates here are there. I had a estimated a budget of ~$5k for repairs. Of course this was too good to be true and I was antsy to purchase my first property so I pulled the trigger.

I used a conventional loan from a local credit union, Michigan State Federal Credit Union. 20% down. 

MISTAKE#1 Closing Costs are EXPENSIVE. In my numbers, I did not budget for closing costs. Those came in around $3k for this purchase. 

Once I closed and got on the property, I walked the house with the contractor I planned to use. What I couldn't see in the photos were the shoddy workmanship the previous owners had done. There was lots of issues with the trim looking terrible, floors laid poorly (big gaps on sides), doors and walls in bad shape here and there Random door from a bedroom closet to the hallway (lol why?). Crap panelling just tossed on the wall. I didn't feel comfortable renting a property in this condition. 

MISTAKE#2 video walkthrough or better photos could have avoided this. 

Now once the rehab started, we realized there was some structural issues with one wall, there was extensive wall damage due to poor plumbing in the bathroom. This left me with rehabbing the whole bathroom instead of cosmetic update. This was just unfortunate. All in all, rehab ended up around $12-13k after painting. 

MISTAKE #3 I was working with a Contractor I liked. He completed the job within a reasonable time. His quality was pretty good, but I never got a second or third quote for the work. I am realizing he is pricy after the fact now. 

Rent: This property is rented for $760 to Section 8. This is lower than I was predicted for rent, but I just wanted it rented at that point. 

Refi: I used the same credit union to refi. They do 75% loan to value. Rough numbers below:

$53000 (appraised value) 
X .75 (LTV)
= 39750 (Loan Amount)
- $3000 (closing cost on refi)
- ~$28000 (existing loan amount)
= ~$9000 (cash out back to me)

All in all, this property was a FAIL. I was stuck with about $13-$14k in the property. It isnt renting for what I had hoped. Not to mentioned I had to replace the furnace I was hoping would last another year or two this past winter. 

So, onto the BRRRR SUCCESS. In July 2019, I purchased a SFH converted into a duplex. This is in the Old Everett - Greencroft Park neighborhood. Bottom unit is a 2/1. Top unit is a 1/1.

Purchase Price: $29500. This was listed at $45k. I tossed out my offer and due to their circumstances, they accepted it with no comeback. 

This house was in pretty rough shape. The upstairs unit looked decent. Had recent laminate flooring, but needed paint, new bathroom floor, new toilet. The downstairs needed all new flooring, new cabinets, new appliances, new drywall. Also some roofing needed patching. Some plumbing needed fixing. etc. Based off my assumptions, I thought this home would be appraised on the bright side $70k. On the low side, $55k. 

So trying to take some lessons learned from my first property, as part of inspection, I had two contractors supply a bid for the property. This ended up working out okay. I was okay with a rehab budget up to $10k. MISTAKE#4 There was a severe miscommunication with my contractor about his bid being labor only. I should have known that his bid was too low to be Materials + Labor. I learned the hard way about a mismanaged project and how it affects timelines. This was a decent size project, but it took 3+ months which seems much too excessive. MISTAKE#5 Poor project management should have been identified and fixed immediately. Shouldn't let a contractor take this long. MISTAKE#6 Scope creep was real in the project. Small things just added up one after another. Moving outlets into the wall, issues with hvac vents, extensive roof patching, new doors, etc. 

Rehab ended up ~$15000.

By late December , the property was rented. Total rent is $1400 for the two units. 

I am in the refinance process now with closing anticipated in the next week or so. I just got the appraisal back last week at $40,000!! Which is outrageous because the house in disrepairs was appraised at $33,000. I sent my loan officer an email with my disagreements and reasoning. Revised appraisal came back today at $64,000, which was soo much better. 

My refinance was again through MSUFCU. Rough numbers expected below.

$64000 (appraised value)
x .75 (LTV)
= $48,000
- ~23000 (loan balance)
- ~3000 (refi closing costs)
= $21-$22000 (cash out amount)

My all in was around $25k so I am ecstatic with the amount of money I have left in this deal. 

Although, with the good news of the appraisal coming in at $64000, I got bad news that city inspection came up with some plumbing fixes needed. That will cost $1200. 

My next steps: Add a second electrical circuit breaker to the duplex to accommodate baseboard heaters so i can split the heat utility in my duplex. Quote is about $2000 for this. Even with the last expenses I still consider the duplex a success. 

For 2020, I am planning on spending Q1 & Q2 regrouping my savings and reevaluating the path forward then. 

Apologies if this was scatterered, I just realized how hard it was to write a year long recap after I had already committed. haha

89Reply
437 views

Most Popular Reply

Haiku, HI · Member since 2011 · 50 posts · 19 votes
6y

@Sean Sloop

1400 rent for the duplex with 45k into it? That is impressive, keep it up !!

See this reply in the discussion

102 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes
    6y

    @Robert Yarnell the way I was thinking (which is incorrect looking back becuase the margin was way to slim). Let's chalk it up to lack of patience.

    ARV * .75 - rehab - purchase price = >0

    When I did the math I was fine with keeping a little money in, but the formula doesn't account for closing costs and obviously you need to be conservative with rehab estimates... Which I was note lol.

    You live and you learn.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    For sure! I'm trying to plan and practice the strategy as I'll be committing to a BRRRR around a year from now and am starting to take the advice of just looking for deals and running the numbers. When I looked at your deal I wasn't sure if I was missing something, but that's awesome that you went forward, got it rented, and then got another property!

    I'm curious though how you came to the ARV price? Was that through local MLS sales or did you consult with someone? This is one area, where I think we can make mistakes...

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Robert Yarnell:

    For sure! I'm trying to plan and practice the strategy as I'll be committing to a BRRRR around a year from now and am starting to take the advice of just looking for deals and running the numbers. When I looked at your deal I wasn't sure if I was missing something, but that's awesome that you went forward, got it rented, and then got another property!

    I'm curious though how you came to the ARV price? Was that through local MLS sales or did you consult with someone? This is one area, where I think we can make mistakes...

    I asked my realtor for comps and made my own analysis. One thing I learned is you need to consider basements & garages when making your arv analysis. 

  • Investor · IL · Member since 2019 · 151 posts · 135 votes
    6y

    @sean 

    @Sean Sloop

    I did my first brrr in 2019. My experience was almost the same as your first. I overpaid for the house then went 40% over my rehab budget because of things I couldn't or didn't see. I am all in on that property at about $37000, rent is $540. Estimated cap ex + repairs + vacancy at 20% = $1296. taxes and insurance $720. That leaves me right at a 12% cap rate. I don't feel to bad about this even though I had to leave $4000 in the house after the $44000 appraisal.  

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Gail W.:

    @sean 

    @Sean Sloop

    I did my first brrr in 2019. My experience was almost the same as your first. I overpaid for the house then went 40% over my rehab budget because of things I couldn't or didn't see. I am all in on that property at about $37000, rent is $540. Estimated cap ex + repairs + vacancy at 20% = $1296. taxes and insurance $720. That leaves me right at a 12% cap rate. I don't feel to bad about this even though I had to leave $4000 in the house after the $44000 appraisal.  

    Not to be a downer but $108/month for vacancy, maintenance, and  cap ex will doom your return over the long term.  You do not indicate the number of bathrooms or square footage, but I suspect 2 times that amount will be closer to reality (my pro forma would allocate even more).  You will likely need to find a way to increase the rents prior to large maintenance/cap expenses.

    BTW the 50% rule is too aggressive at this rent point.  I suggest you use at least 55% and 60% would be safer.

    Leaving $4K in the house will not be the issue.  The issue will be long term maintenance/cap ex.  

    Good luck

  • Michael WestPro Member
    Realtor · Dearborn, MI · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop Thank you for this post. I am pretty new to real estate investing (also in Michigan), so it was great to read something that was familiar to me as well as take valuable notes from your experiences. Keep up the drive and best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

  • TX · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop how long was a long time?

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Everthing you've done is how we all individually learn how to become a successful property investor. The good news is that you're actively involved in real estate investing and not stuck on the sidelines with paralysis by over analysis. Congratulations and continue building your portfolio of properties. Challenges are expected, but you'll master your investment strategies in a short period of time.

  • Real Estate Agent · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2019 · 80 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop I thought it was just me with contractors that go wrong and just having to renovate one small bathroom that was original quote at :1000 but end up paying for material and little things which contractor didn’t even have like a bucket!!! Then he buy material on his own without telling me. My bathroom still not done been 3 weeks.. on a good note my duplex is rented and I have a roommate that pat $500. So but yeah I been through hell with is hiring a contractor 1 fired him because he was in drugs bought his drug girlfriend to help I told them don’t comeback the contractor 2 his help got arrested so he then bring wife to help him unbelievable.

  • Real Estate Agent · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2019 · 80 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Aaron OCallahan send me the sample letter

  • Real Estate Broker · Greenwood Village · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    I think that is key, that even with "failures" you keep moving forward. Great transparency, thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Timothy Hero I’m sorry but that’s just not true. Horrible misconception. As a former fire rescue worker I’ve been in the nicest (outside) dirtiest/cluttered (inside) homes imaginable.

  • Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 55 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop

    Thank you for this post. People think BRRRR is an easy concept, it is not. I learned BRRRR through a lot of trial and ERROR, and mostly ERROR. At the end of the day it is all a numbers game. I too, first time around did not account for high closing costs on conventional loans. That is why I try to pay cash first time around then refi and pay closing costs once. Now that you learned from all your mistakes, you will perfect it! Keep up the great work!

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes
    6y

    @John Fitch hey John, if you are referring to the rehab timeline, that ended up taking over 3 months. Started first week in August and ended in November.

    We were having regular check ins, but there were just a bunch of lost days between activities that absolutely added a significant time to the rehab.

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes
    6y

    @Sharon Steenbergen I realized quickly cash is King here. Sadly didn't have the cash to do a rehab + purchase so had to make it work, but hopefully I can get some partners and we can do this more efficiently going forward.

  • Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 55 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop

    Yes it definitely is! Try to seek out private lenders on your deals! Give them a good return as long as your numbers make sense after refi :)

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 71 votes
    6y

    Way to go after it and give it your best. And double kudos on sharing it!

  • Spring, TX · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop - Great write up, very helpful. Thanks so much.

  • Tara JenkinsPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop Thanks for sharing your first experiences! You are an inspiration to us all

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    May I suggest a mini-split system for one or both of the units. I would stay away from electric baseboard if at all possible. I am not familiar with your region and how the mini-split systems perform, but if the insulation is good and the units are not too big they should be a good alternative. 

  • Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop thanks for sharing this, very helpful!

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes
    6y

    @Rick Shafer hey Rick, I researched mini splits earlier and deemed it would be too expensive at the time.

    Then again, I wasn't expecting electrical work added on. So maybe if I hadn't already purchased the baseboard heaters, I would be at a better position to reconsider.

    Definitely another lesson learned.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop thank you for sharing that!

    Did you have an inspection before you’ve closed the deal or did you walk the house with your contractor after you’ve closed?

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes
    6y

    @Kevin Jackson hey Kevin. I got an inspection with both properties.

    What worked for me was during the inspection time, I had my realtor coordinate with my contractors to get a quote so I had all the information before my contingency expired.

    I regret not personally walking my duplex before rehab (I've never actually been on site). Would have cleared up some things from the start.

  • Investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Thank you for sharing @Sean Sloop. Lots of good insight from someone who jumped in and got the experience. Congratulations on actually doing it as many of us actually just talk about it, think about it, dream about it, but never pull the trigger. We are actually evaluating some BRRRR deals right now and hope to start as soon as we find the right one.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.