BRRRR Success AND Failure - Lessons Learned in 2019

BRRRR Success AND Failure - Lessons Learned in 2019

Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes

Hi All, 

Just wanted to post my experience with BRRRR method. I invested in Lansing, MI. I am originally from Grand Rapids, MI and currently live out of state in MN. Below is my 2019 experience jumping into real estate. LLong post ahead. Hopefully I cover the main points fully. So please follow up if you have any questions!

To get the capital for below it was a mix of savings and a HELOC on my primary residence.

TL;DR In 2019 I purchased a SFR and a Duplex in Lansing, MI. My first property was a fail due to an expensive rehab and margins that are way too slim. The duplex was for the most part a success. I was able to cash out most of my money and have a pretty good cash flowing property. I bolded my mistakes below. I probably made several more, these are just the ones that come to mind.

I will start with the BRRRR FAIL. In March 2019, I purchased a 3/1 SFR in Northwest Lansing. The purchase price was $35000. Based on my analysis at the time, I thought the property would be worth $52000 after rehab. Based on the photos of the home, I had thought it was a pretty easy rehab with simply replacing the water heater, paint, and some other cosmetic updates here are there. I had a estimated a budget of ~$5k for repairs. Of course this was too good to be true and I was antsy to purchase my first property so I pulled the trigger.

I used a conventional loan from a local credit union, Michigan State Federal Credit Union. 20% down. 

MISTAKE#1 Closing Costs are EXPENSIVE. In my numbers, I did not budget for closing costs. Those came in around $3k for this purchase. 

Once I closed and got on the property, I walked the house with the contractor I planned to use. What I couldn't see in the photos were the shoddy workmanship the previous owners had done. There was lots of issues with the trim looking terrible, floors laid poorly (big gaps on sides), doors and walls in bad shape here and there Random door from a bedroom closet to the hallway (lol why?). Crap panelling just tossed on the wall. I didn't feel comfortable renting a property in this condition. 

MISTAKE#2 video walkthrough or better photos could have avoided this. 

Now once the rehab started, we realized there was some structural issues with one wall, there was extensive wall damage due to poor plumbing in the bathroom. This left me with rehabbing the whole bathroom instead of cosmetic update. This was just unfortunate. All in all, rehab ended up around $12-13k after painting. 

MISTAKE #3 I was working with a Contractor I liked. He completed the job within a reasonable time. His quality was pretty good, but I never got a second or third quote for the work. I am realizing he is pricy after the fact now. 

Rent: This property is rented for $760 to Section 8. This is lower than I was predicted for rent, but I just wanted it rented at that point. 

Refi: I used the same credit union to refi. They do 75% loan to value. Rough numbers below:

$53000 (appraised value) 
X .75 (LTV)
= 39750 (Loan Amount)
- $3000 (closing cost on refi)
- ~$28000 (existing loan amount)
= ~$9000 (cash out back to me)

All in all, this property was a FAIL. I was stuck with about $13-$14k in the property. It isnt renting for what I had hoped. Not to mentioned I had to replace the furnace I was hoping would last another year or two this past winter. 

So, onto the BRRRR SUCCESS. In July 2019, I purchased a SFH converted into a duplex. This is in the Old Everett - Greencroft Park neighborhood. Bottom unit is a 2/1. Top unit is a 1/1.

Purchase Price: $29500. This was listed at $45k. I tossed out my offer and due to their circumstances, they accepted it with no comeback. 

This house was in pretty rough shape. The upstairs unit looked decent. Had recent laminate flooring, but needed paint, new bathroom floor, new toilet. The downstairs needed all new flooring, new cabinets, new appliances, new drywall. Also some roofing needed patching. Some plumbing needed fixing. etc. Based off my assumptions, I thought this home would be appraised on the bright side $70k. On the low side, $55k. 

So trying to take some lessons learned from my first property, as part of inspection, I had two contractors supply a bid for the property. This ended up working out okay. I was okay with a rehab budget up to $10k. MISTAKE#4 There was a severe miscommunication with my contractor about his bid being labor only. I should have known that his bid was too low to be Materials + Labor. I learned the hard way about a mismanaged project and how it affects timelines. This was a decent size project, but it took 3+ months which seems much too excessive. MISTAKE#5 Poor project management should have been identified and fixed immediately. Shouldn't let a contractor take this long. MISTAKE#6 Scope creep was real in the project. Small things just added up one after another. Moving outlets into the wall, issues with hvac vents, extensive roof patching, new doors, etc. 

Rehab ended up ~$15000.

By late December , the property was rented. Total rent is $1400 for the two units. 

I am in the refinance process now with closing anticipated in the next week or so. I just got the appraisal back last week at $40,000!! Which is outrageous because the house in disrepairs was appraised at $33,000. I sent my loan officer an email with my disagreements and reasoning. Revised appraisal came back today at $64,000, which was soo much better. 

My refinance was again through MSUFCU. Rough numbers expected below.

$64000 (appraised value)
x .75 (LTV)
= $48,000
- ~23000 (loan balance)
- ~3000 (refi closing costs)
= $21-$22000 (cash out amount)

My all in was around $25k so I am ecstatic with the amount of money I have left in this deal. 

Although, with the good news of the appraisal coming in at $64000, I got bad news that city inspection came up with some plumbing fixes needed. That will cost $1200. 

My next steps: Add a second electrical circuit breaker to the duplex to accommodate baseboard heaters so i can split the heat utility in my duplex. Quote is about $2000 for this. Even with the last expenses I still consider the duplex a success. 

For 2020, I am planning on spending Q1 & Q2 regrouping my savings and reevaluating the path forward then. 

Apologies if this was scatterered, I just realized how hard it was to write a year long recap after I had already committed. haha

89Reply
444 views

Most Popular Reply

Haiku, HI · Member since 2011 · 50 posts · 19 votes
6y

@Sean Sloop

1400 rent for the duplex with 45k into it? That is impressive, keep it up !!

See this reply in the discussion

102 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop thanks for that advice!

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes
    6y

    @Christopher Coloma best of luck! Hope you were able to take away some lessons learned from my mistakes!

  • New to Real Estate · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop what was the reason for not paying cash for either homes home? I thought with brrrr you had to pay the house in full in order to then refi and pull money out. I am also located in Michigan about 45 minutes north of Detroit!

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes
    6y

    @Neil Blalock hey Neil, it's not a requirement to pay cash but it helps! If I had the cash or a private lender for the upfront purchase, I would have absolutely used it. But since I didn't at the time, I did what I had to to get the deal done.

    Downside of NOT using cash is closing costs & the hassle of the mortgage process of course.

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thank you so much for being transparent. You will do great ! 

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 101 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop Thanks for sharing and being transparent. We learn the most from our own mistakes, but we learn nearly as much from other people’s mistakes. The community has certainly benefitted from you being brave enough to share everything.

  • Investor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2018 · 295 posts · 208 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop Awesome job taking action! Those mistakes are learning lessons which is the perk of starting early. You will avoid those mistakes in the future and have more profit because of the mistakes you made before. For the education you gained that's great value!

  • Wholesaler · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop what a great fail story for me to learn from thanks for telling it.

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop thanks for this long post 🤣. I’m an out of state investor looking to buy in Va soon so appreciate you allowing me to look into your successes as well as your failures.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 162 posts · 127 votes
    6y

    @Timothy Hero

    I don’t agree with your sentiments and I do work with families who rented my properties and client of Choice of Housing (formerly 8 Section). I plan to rent more to Choice of Housing families.

    Alex

  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 162 posts · 127 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop

    Totally agree!!

  • Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop When executing your actual rehab did you pay out of pocket or was that amount financed with purchase? Thank you

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes
    6y

    @Randolph Brown I paid out of pocket. I used a HELOC on my primary residence

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 53 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop Props to you for jumping in and learning the hard way. Most people never pull the trigger and get into the game. Seems like you figured it out as you went along.

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes
    6y

    @Michael Lenahan *still figuring out* lol.

    It's all in the process!

  • Lansing, MI · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop awesome story man! I live in Lansing also and I’m going to be buying my first property within the next couple months. I’m trying to learn from other people’s mistakes so I appreciate you going into detail and telling the Fails and Wins.

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes
    6y

    @Alexander Allen happy to share my experience. Best of luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · La Crescenta Montrose, CA · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Very helpful perspective for us newer investors.  Thank you! We are looking for our first out of state deal now and hope to have some successes and learnings to share soon. 

  • Leonard L.Pro Member
    Investor · Papillion, NE · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop Thank you for the examples with real numbers. I've looked at a similar strategy also in MI. The closing costs are surprising. I enjoyed the tips and hopefully can avoid some of the same mistakes myself on my next deal. Good job on going through with it.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop

    Good lesson, Great job, thank you for sharing.

  • Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Sean Sloop

    Thanks sooo much for being bold enough to share your mistakes!!! I truly appreciate this because so many of us can learn from you!! I will definitely take notes on this as I prepare to make my first offer!

    All in all it was a success because YOU GOT Started and you grow from your mistakes!! All the best!!!

  • Zach GringPro Member
    Realtor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 101 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop

    Thank you for sharing all of this it was very informative and interesting.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop nice!!! Great information!

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Sean Sloop Thank you for sharing your story! I'm in my first few months of attempting BRRRRs, and it's soooo comforting and helpful to hear other people talk openly about mistakes, especially when they're followed by lessons learned and other successes. I'm guessing it was pretty frustrating at the time, but overcoming failure just makes you a badass in retrospect. Hope to be like you a year from now!

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 224 votes
    6y

    @April Dagonese best of luck! Hope you have more success and less mistakes than me

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.