Investor · South Padre Island · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 17 votes
Hey Guys, Question :- I have a property in Ohio under a Sole Member LLC that I am selling and doing a 1031 on another property in Texas. Can I setup a similar Sole Member LLC in Texas(with a different name) and buy the new property ?
Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
5y
I think most of the QI’s on here, including @Dave Foster who I use, will tell you it needs to be traced to a tax filing # such as a TIN or SSN. Does the LLC file taxes separately from yourself?
Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
5y
I think most of the QI’s on here, including @Dave Foster who I use, will tell you it needs to be traced to a tax filing # such as a TIN or SSN. Does the LLC file taxes separately from yourself?
Yes, as long as both entities are single member limited liability companies, both are disregarded entities, and both are owned by the same single member (you), it would qualify for 1031 Exchange treatment. The key is that they are both disregarded entities owned by the same person. This way both entities are disregarded for tax purposes and treated as if the properties were actually sold/purchased by you (taxpayer).
Exeter 1031 Exchange Services, LLC and Exeter Trust Company4.726 Reviews
Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
5y
@Soumya Brijesh, Sounds like you're OK on this one. But beware down the road. as portfolios and liability concerns grow the protection of a single member disregarded LLC comes into question many times. The LLC might be anonymous but if your tax return is supoened or checked the property ownership is there for all to see.
For this reason many folks will have their single member LLCs elect to file taxes as a partnership. This means the LLC becomes a tax paying entity and files it's own tax return. This is not a disregarded entity and would need to be the selling and purchasing entity in a 1031 exchange.
Moral of the story - it's not just the number of members, it's the tax filing status election that make the LLC regarded or disregarded.