We signed the purchase agreement back in December 2020, and it was scheduled to be completed by 4/15/2021. However, the builder has been delaying the building, and recently we were told that they wanted to cancel our contract due to building cost increase, or we can accept the $100K increase in price. BTW, the builder hasn't even started digging yet.
What options do we have now? Does this happen to other buyers / owners? I'm mad because if they could have told me much earlier that they couldn't deliver on time / price, then I would have moved on to another house. After months of delay and big appreciation in general market, it's hard to find another house at that price range.
Like to hear your suggestions. The house is in Texas.
@Melanie Liu It's not surprising as lumber prices have skyrocketed in the last year. If the builder followed through with the build, he might end up with a significant loss.
That said, a contract is a contract. If there's no language in the contract about unforeseen increases in material pricing, he may be stuck and you need the advice of an attorney.
My suggestion is to see if you can get him to pay you for the release. Again, work with an attorney on that.
All depends on what your contract says. If someone had my money tied up that long didn't even start building I would likely take every means to get something back. Unless it says in contract something about builder reserving right to terminate due to high product costs I would be seeking remedy. Its not your problem that building costs have risen you have an executed contract to have a home built at an agreed upon price. If they didn't even start building or break ground that alone would seem like breach of contract but again it all lies in your contract.
@Jay Hinrichs
Typically I agree and people are sue happy. But wouldn’t she have real damages here? Her contracted investment went up 100k. Now the same product costs her 100k more to buy. Those sound real to me. If you had a contract with a stock broker to buy Tesla and they waited four months and said no it’s too much now. I feel they owe you those gains. She could have bought something else last December and participated in the gains had she not been in contract with this builder.
Likely though, based on this builder’s garbage contract and the fact he hasn’t started he probably has no money anyway and this is a waste of time.
its are chair lawyering but what are the damages this is not an owner occ they sold another home and are now homeless counting on this one to come through this is an investor .. so they miss out on a deal.. and like what was mentioned above there is probably a mandatory non binding median clause you run through first.. then you sue.. Beleive me I am in the same boat as a builder with clients who are buying homes to live in.. now 100k thats a pretty wild figure if your just buying a rental new build in FLA that cost between 200 and 300k I am building some right now.. so there is no way materials have gone u that high on that product..
The material price increases are a loaf of crap. It increased a whopping 3% and adds under 5% total cost to a build. Hardly a 100k justified price increase.
@Christopher Winkler where are lumber prices falling dramatically? stabilizing maybe.
Lumber Prices Slump As Historic Boom Hits A Wall
https://www.zerohedge.com/comm...
Lumber Versus Gold: Predicting A Crash
https://www.zerohedge.com/news...
@Melanie Liu wow never went through this but hoping it turns out ok for you. I have heard that building costs have went up drastically especially due to lumber
Does the builder have their own addendum with any language in regards to an increase in material costs resulting in a higher price? They are obligated to perform on the contract just as you are. If they are preselling homes, they should have already bought the materials before listing so they knew the costs of the home build. I had two clients get under contract in November and December on new construction that was completed in March and May respectively about 45 min north of Seattle and guess what, the builders didn't try to renegotiate, but my clients closed with over $100k in instant equity. Builder still hit their profit margins because they buy materials in advance and know what they need to sell for to hit their profit margins. It sounds like the builder shouldn't be doing presales on their homes. I would recommend having your real estate broker look over the contract with their managing and/or designated broker and give their opinion on the language. Your best bet is pushing for the builder to move forward with the build at the price agreed upon, asking them to buy you out of the contract for an amount that is fair given the damages (having to now buy in a more expensive market than you would have in December), or you can agree to some middle ground on an increased price that feels like a win/win for both sides. Otherwise, it would likely require legal action.
@Theresa Harris
I agree to sticking firm and not dropping the contract But you cannot threaten the builder about getting the attorney, any word with the builder about the attorney and they will stop communication with you and say their legal team will contact you.They know the game.They been in business for long and build 1000s of houses.They have their cards in order and have a full fledged legal team.So donot pull out that card infront of them.Instead i would advice find a good attorney that specializes in real estate . Have that attorney review the builders contract and ask the attorneys advice for the next step.Its worth paying the attorney a few 100$ if you want this to end properly else the builder is going to win .
The material price increases are a loaf of crap. It increased a whopping 3% and adds under 5% total cost to a build. Hardly a 100k justified price increase.
You're missing a couple 00's bro.
The material price increases are a loaf of crap. It increased a whopping 3% and adds under 5% total cost to a build. Hardly a 100k justified price increase.
You're missing a couple 00's bro.
Not at all....
3% increase on a $310,000 house is $10333 it's really not that big of a deal. You have 3 options. Stop building, have less of a margin or increase the sales price. I chose to increase the sales price and people still buy within 14 days of listing.
ive got 4 houses being built right now and all are under contract.
@Melanie Liu
This issue is happening a lot in texas .I have a relative of mine who went through the same issue.Got into contact with builder jan 2021 .Closing date April 30 2021. Builder was dragging their feet.Didnit even start construction till March .Finally came back and told they need to cancel the contract because of high cost of materials or pay 100k more for the house.Builder had their contract written in their favor that they could cancel the contract so finally ended up paying more. I would advise consult with a realestate attorney and fig out how the contract is written.Does the contract have any clause stating the builder can cancel any time.If so what is the compensation . Else you know the back end ,your attorney will take care of this.
Also keep a documentation for any conversations with the builder.Always do email follow ups Builder wont respond via email,because they donot want proof of what they said but even if the build is talking to you via phone follow back with the builder via email stating AS PER OUR CONVERSATION TODAY VIA PHONE THIS IS WHAT WE AGREED OR.. THIS IS A BREIF FOLLOW UP OF THE PHONE CONVERSATION WE HAD TODAY, in that case you have proof to show what the phone conversation was and that builder didnot respond to your emails.
There is no way that material costs alone increased $100K on that job. What increased $100K is the market value of their new construction. They see an opportunity to make more money.
I would tell them I am willing to negotiate in good faith, but I need my attorney to review copies of estimates / invoices showing the costs from December compared to now. Tell them your attorney will ask your material supplier to sign an affidavit attesting to the numbers being true and accurate, under risk of perjury if they misrepresent anything.
You could also offer an alternative "buyout payment" from the contract. As @Russell Brazil suggested, start at $50K and see what your attorney can negotiate. Tell them the $50K is half your damages and half their loss, so you are being reasonable splitting the cost. Determining damages in a court case is easy in this situation, because it would cost $100K more to contract the same house today.
It is total BS that this contractor should get away with stringing someone along on a contract for 7 months and missing a contractual build date. I do think COVID material cost increase is unprecedented and deserves consideration but it should only be limited to real cost increase, not opportunistic gouging. Maybe you lose a court case, but once the litigation is out there, it damages the builders reputation. The builder has incentive to settle this.
sorry to hear. Easy to look back and say shoulda, woulda, coulda... the resolution is really going to be driven by the contract and texas law so can't really comment there.
FYI... Its not just lumber... there is a perfect storm circling construction industry right now...
1. Labor availability and cost increases (never recovered from great recession)
2. Land availability and costs (doesn't seem relevant to your situation)
3. Materials Costs.
4. Materials Availability.
add to that poor management/communication by your builder and you're in the situation you are.
I empathize with you, but personally, I'd be happy with my money back and walking away. Life's to short for anger... Chalk it up to experience.... experience being what we get when we don't get what we want... :D
1. Communicate with this builder through an attorney.
2. I have recorded a contract on the deed before. Discuss with your attorney.
3. Someone mentioned a buyout. Sounds like a good idea. Doubt they would offer much, but some compensation would be fair.
4. Resolve this issue now. This guy is your builder. If you make him go through with your unit price, you might not be happy with what he delivered. The relationship has broken at this point, even if the contract is still in place.
5. Interesting that the contractor wants to "break" the contract. If he could unilaterally, he would have done so. You own something here. A contract.
Coming from a contractor stand point, there may be more than dollar amount issues. Us in the construction industry are not only dealing with extreme price escalation, but also extreme material lead time. It can take months depending on the material to receive it, and if you want it expedited to meet your schedule, you have to pay for it.
It sounds like the contractor was not thorough and did not communicate well, but these are hard times predicting costs and schedules. The contractor has to wait to order material until he has a contract, and by the time the contract is executed prices may have jumped putting everyone in a bind.
I would ask the contractor for quotes from suppliers before the contract was executed and immediately after.
Best of Luck.
sorry to hear. Easy to look back and say shoulda, woulda, coulda... the resolution is really going to be driven by the contract and texas law so can't really comment there.
FYI... Its not just lumber... there is a perfect storm circling construction industry right now...
1. Labor availability and cost increases (never recovered from great recession)
2. Land availability and costs (doesn't seem relevant to your situation)
3. Materials Costs.
4. Materials Availability.
add to that poor management/communication by your builder and you're in the situation you are.
I empathize with you, but personally, I'd be happy with my money back and walking away. Life's to short for anger... Chalk it up to experience.... experience being what we get when we don't get what we want... :D
Why do you think the contractor should get to walk away from the contract without any penalty? To meet that contractual date they should have started the build in January and now in June they are saying costs are an issue? As far as chalk it up to experience, maybe the builder needs to learn that taking money from people and failing to follow through on contracts has consequences.
sit down with the builder and identify besides lumber the increased building costs
identify what they earmarked for lumber
maybe you can shoulder the increase in lumber - you buy the lumber directly
and they shoulder other increases
seems a lot more fair
100k increase does not seem right
not sure the size of house
go in with this approach while not threatening legal action but it is always an option hanging over this new negotiation
you can say that we agreed on a contract and you do not believe you did anything on your end to breach the contract - that is why I am reaching out to you
@Melanie Liu do you have free legal plan through your work? I have free access to the best lawyers (including those who specialize in real estate) and I think I should make sending demand letters my new hobby. When I was in a such a situation I made sure that the other party knew I had free access to best lawyers (casually saying “need to check what the lawyer says since I have free access to them”) and then just sending a threatening demand letter did the job. I stopped communicating after the lawyer sent the letter. Good lawyers make realtors redundant and incompetent builders very cooperative.
Just check what kind of legal plan your employer provides. The best option is to get some money from the builder and walk away.
@Christopher Winkler lumber prices are still double last years price and the tyler lumber slump article says prices are likely to remain elevated but you are right they are coming off their high. Although, I wouldn't expect price relief just yet.
I am not familiar with build to rent companies but I wouldn't be comfortable moving forward with this one if it was my contract. I would seek compensation for the break/
Sorry to hear that you are going through this. I am a builder and when I get someone to approach me to get an estimate to build I tell them how long before they are ready to build. If it is not for 4-6 months I would tell them the pricing will not reflect what will happen that far out. Most builders are struggling with this. How can you price something one day and next week prices are higher.
I think you answered your own question. It sucks but it sounds like you might be better off walking away and asking for your deposit back. I am assuming this is a track home thus you only put a deposit not a custom build. Why buy in a subdivision that will be all rentals. Many think this is a new concept but go to San Antonio, cities by the border, and Killeen and you can find these 1980s subdivisions with all rentals. They don't appreciate well and if you don't have proper management can become a ghetto.
You can write a bad review on yelp, google, and FB but I would not waste time with legal action as that will cost you more money without any guarantee of getting paid.
I havent found a subcontractor that will work for a loss and still do good work. If you have him build I would expect issues rising from them cutting corners.
Best of luck
It is happening quite a bit, one example
https://www.star-telegram.com/...
Put "Builder Cancels Contract" in a Google News Search and you will see many articles on this.
from the article
The clause is known as a “termination for convenience” — and it’s a tool in the contract that allows the builder to walk away from the deal, but offers no such exit ramp for the buyer. Real estate experts said such language is often included in contracts drawn up by home builders, and that buyers should generally try to avoid signing papers with such language.
Check the contract, but considering they wrote it you probably have little recourse beyond getting your deposit back.
@Melanie Liu I would be susprised if there are any legit builders left that have not added material price increase clauses to their contracts. The last year has definitely brought out the need for that and I would expect they will stay in the contracts for a long time.
There is no way that material costs alone increased $100K on that job. What increased $100K is the market value of their new construction. They see an opportunity to make more money.
I would tell them I am willing to negotiate in good faith, but I need my attorney to review copies of estimates / invoices showing the costs from December compared to now. Tell them your attorney will ask your material supplier to sign an affidavit attesting to the numbers being true and accurate, under risk of perjury if they misrepresent anything.
You could also offer an alternative "buyout payment" from the contract. As @Russell Brazil suggested, start at $50K and see what your attorney can negotiate. Tell them the $50K is half your damages and half their loss, so you are being reasonable splitting the cost. Determining damages in a court case is easy in this situation, because it would cost $100K more to contract the same house today.
It is total BS that this contractor should get away with stringing someone along on a contract for 7 months and missing a contractual build date. I do think COVID material cost increase is unprecedented and deserves consideration but it should only be limited to real cost increase, not opportunistic gouging. Maybe you lose a court case, but once the litigation is out there, it damages the builders reputation. The builder has incentive to settle this.
With a $100K increase, I completely agree with you Joe. The builder can get more money for the house if he sells it to someone else.
@Melanie Liu, here is a link to an article I read earlier this month concerning a family who's builder canceled their contract weeks before they had to move in:
https://www.star-telegram.com/...
You are not the only one to have this happen to you. The clause is called a “termination for convenience.”
A buddy of mine just bought newly built home in AZ. The builders raised prices on subsequent homes after his and stopped all construction in May until lumber prices have stabilized.
Hope your situation gets settled.
Hey Joe. My first paragraph was intended to state that because no one on a forum thread can have a complete understanding of the intricacies of a contract that were signed by two private parties it's really hard to give advice on what to do. Even with what the OP has posted a lot of responses are making some pretty big assumptions. The OP needs to understand the contract and any legal ramifications of all correspondence and possible amendments to the contract that have been executed over the past 18 months. She definitely needs to have legal review and find out her options... probably should have done that when signing the contract. The OP admittedly did not even engage a realtor to close the transaction even though it is out of state. Seems to me that to walk away from this without losing money would be a positive. Not to mention, how has 18 months passed since the contract was executed and the builder trying to cancel is the first act that is causing the OP to speak up in her defense. (maybe it's not I get the feeling there is a lot of other details going on here)
That being said. After reading your 1st post I am thinking of a very similar situation a developer I know is going through. Can't go into details because it is still pending but if there is something more sinister behind this than definitely the OP should fight for what is right. But that is probably going to take legal action in Texas at this point... and I'm still speculating.