Seller keeps coming back and harassing the workers

Seller keeps coming back and harassing the workers

Joe S.Pro Member
Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Seller keeps coming back and harassing the workers. So we bought a house and now the seller keep coming back every day According to the workers. He saying that they hauled  off new furniture which of course they didn’t. The seller had left a few things they were old and nasty and so as part of the clean out the workers did have to remove them. He told my workers today that he was going to come back and take down the chandelier. Also someone forced entry in the back door and broke the trim getting in the house last night. I do realize some people have a hard time coming to grips that they no longer own their former house so I have tried not to escalate things. At some point I feel like I’m going to have to solicit the aid of the police if this continues. Has anyone dealt with something like this and found away to neutralize this sort of activity peacefully?

3Reply
106 views

Most Popular Reply

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
4y
Originally posted by @Joe S.:
Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

Call the police and have him charged.  Get a restraining order.

 That’s precisely what I am trying to avoid. (I know I’m weird like that and I can’t explain why.)

OK, send two guys to break his legs. It would be kinder than what you're doing. Because your way ends up with him stomping around the property raving in the middle of the night, the cops get called, he starts screaming and threatening them, and finally the night's entertainment ends up with your seller getting Mozambiqued.

We keep having this conversation on Bigger Pockets these days. Joe, you're just not doing anyone any favors avoiding this confrontation, least of all a seller who is clearly a bit off upstairs. Make an appointment, sit down with him, make it clear that he is no longer welcome on the property. You said you're not good at installing cameras. It's really not rocket science to screw in a battery-powered trail camera in a steel case next to the front door and another one next to the back door. Take a look at what you can buy at Amazon.

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    I'd document each time he comes. Also have cameras in especially for night time, with signs so he knows

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Brown:

    I'd document each time he comes. Also have cameras in especially for night time, with signs so he knows

    I’m not very swift when it comes to installing cameras. 😢

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    If it wasn't in the sales agreement that he could have the chandelier, take it down and keep it until the fix up is done, or offer to sell it to him.

    If you think he is Breaking and entering and stealing file a Police Report, they may take fingerprints, and he could end up in Huntsville (on the chain--which they do not use anymore, but still probably not a fun place).

    I think Alabama still uses "The Chain" but not Texas.

    https://tulsaworld.com/archive/chain-gangs-back-at-work-in-alabama/article_66a43c98-a167-5511-9863-67c39ec10b8e.html

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 84 posts · 107 votes
    4y

    I know you are a nice guy, and I know you are understanding, but at the end of the day it is business and this could escalate into something worse. Please start documenting everything now and be firm with the situation. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    Have a conversation with him.  "I understand the attachment and your thoughts but it's not appropriate or safe for you to come here or for me to go to your current home and ask for things."

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    Call the police and have him charged.  Get a restraining order.

  • Coppell, TX · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 310 votes
    4y

    Serve him a NO Trespass notice, warning him NOT to come on property again.   Copy the local PD.

    Also, just as an abundance of notice, put a sign up.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...

    https://www.criminalattorneyfo...

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Call the police and have him charged.  Get a restraining order.

     That’s precisely what I am trying to avoid. (I know I’m weird like that and I can’t explain why.)

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Joe S.:
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Call the police and have him charged.  Get a restraining order.

     That’s precisely what I am trying to avoid. (I know I’m weird like that and I can’t explain why.)

     If you think he's breaking in, he's harassing the workers, you need to do something.  What are you going to do if the workers quit?

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    I would have a conversation with him.  It cant hurt and may really help. 

    Did he loose the house or did he willingly sell it? 

    Find out what his POV is and see if you can help him be ok with the sale 


    being a hardass at this point seems kind of too much. 

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Joe S., you probably need to talk to him to clarify everything and if possible record all the details of your conversation.

  • Specialist · Butte, MT · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 17 votes
    4y

    Seller have an agent? maybe they can help smooth things over with the seller?

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Joe S.:
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Call the police and have him charged.  Get a restraining order.

     That’s precisely what I am trying to avoid. (I know I’m weird like that and I can’t explain why.)

    OK, send two guys to break his legs. It would be kinder than what you're doing. Because your way ends up with him stomping around the property raving in the middle of the night, the cops get called, he starts screaming and threatening them, and finally the night's entertainment ends up with your seller getting Mozambiqued.

    We keep having this conversation on Bigger Pockets these days. Joe, you're just not doing anyone any favors avoiding this confrontation, least of all a seller who is clearly a bit off upstairs. Make an appointment, sit down with him, make it clear that he is no longer welcome on the property. You said you're not good at installing cameras. It's really not rocket science to screw in a battery-powered trail camera in a steel case next to the front door and another one next to the back door. Take a look at what you can buy at Amazon.

  • Daniel SmythPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2019 · 471 posts · 342 votes
    4y

    @Joe S.

    Once sold, it's sold unless there is a contingency in the sale contract.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Maurice D.:

    Serve him a NO Trespass notice, warning him NOT to come on property again.   Copy the local PD.

    Also, just as an abundance of notice, put a sign up.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...

    https://www.criminalattorneyfo...

    I agree, serve notice and post signs. People don't realize that without signs posted, people can generally come on your property. Of course they can't break into your house, but nothing stops them from walking up to the front door. 

  • Coppell, TX · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 310 votes
    4y

    I disagree with some saying to be nice.  Once someone tries to break in, and there are signs of forced entry the game changes and you have to protect the property in a legal/criminal context.  There is no more Nice after that.

    Before the break in, sure.  have a chat.  but realize when someone if off, there is no logic and your ask won't likely be honored anyway.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    unless it was caught on tape or there is a witness, you dont know it is him trying to break in. For all you know it is the neighborhood hooligans. Just give the guy a call.....  "hey, I heard you were at the job site today.....  anything I can help you with?"   then listen to what he says.....  maybe he wants some lighting fixtures or who knows....  what would it hurt to give/sell him a fixture? (or help him find something similar online)  Whatever his reason let the guy talk about it and maybe escalation can be avoided.   Did you buy this place at a foreclosure auction?  maybe he is upset he lost his home.....   you might also get your real estate agents involved. 

    Sometimes people just want to be heard.....  i will say I agree with posting notices and putting up cameras - they are super easy to install (even I can do it) 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Mary M.:

    unless it was caught on tape or there is a witness, you dont know it is him trying to break in. For all you know it is the neighborhood hooligans. Just give the guy a call.....  "hey, I heard you were at the job site today.....  anything I can help you with? " then listen to what he says.....  maybe he wants some lighting fixtures or who knows....  what would it hurt to give him a fixture?  Whatever his reaso let the guy talk about it and maybe escalation ca be avoided.   Did you buy this place at a foreclosure auction?  maybe he is upset he lost his home.....   you might also get your real estate agents involved. 

    Sometimes people just want to be heard.....  i will say I agree with posting notices ad putting up rig cameras - they are super easy to install (even I ca do it) 

     I do plan on having my workers put no trespassing sign on the front door and back door. I took a picture of one of the signs that one of the posters above provided and sent it to the workers to put up. I also considered getting a dummy camera at the very least. If my workers know how to install a camera I am considering that as well. I also did tell them to lock the doors behind them when they’re over there working. I did not buy this house from a foreclosure. We got a fresh loan paid off his existing mortgage it was all pretty standard.



  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Maurice D.:

    I disagree with some saying to be nice.  Once someone tries to break in, and there are signs of forced entry the game changes and you have to protect the property in a legal/criminal context.  There is no more Nice after that.

    Before the break in, sure.  have a chat.  but realize when someone if off, there is no logic and your ask won't likely be honored anyway.

    I’m having my workers put up two of those signs that you suggested. :-) 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Joe S.:
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Call the police and have him charged.  Get a restraining order.

     That’s precisely what I am trying to avoid. (I know I’m weird like that and I can’t explain why.)

    OK, send two guys to break his legs. It would be kinder than what you're doing. Because your way ends up with him stomping around the property raving in the middle of the night, the cops get called, he starts screaming and threatening them, and finally the night's entertainment ends up with your seller getting Mozambiqued.

    We keep having this conversation on Bigger Pockets these days. Joe, you're just not doing anyone any favors avoiding this confrontation, least of all a seller who is clearly a bit off upstairs. Make an appointment, sit down with him, make it clear that he is no longer welcome on the property. You said you're not good at installing cameras. It's really not rocket science to screw in a battery-powered trail camera in a steel case next to the front door and another one next to the back door. Take a look at what you can buy at Amazon.

    I’ll take a look at what kind of camera I can buy at Amazon. Any particular brand etc. that I should be looking for?

  • Coppell, TX · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 310 votes
    4y

    I like the Yi Cameras, but there are others.  Yi has a phone app and you can watch the camera and replay from the phone.

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C...

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Joe S.:
    Originally posted by @Mary M.:

    unless it was caught on tape or there is a witness, you dont know it is him trying to break in. For all you know it is the neighborhood hooligans. Just give the guy a call.....  "hey, I heard you were at the job site today.....  anything I can help you with? " then listen to what he says.....  maybe he wants some lighting fixtures or who knows....  what would it hurt to give him a fixture?  Whatever his reaso let the guy talk about it and maybe escalation ca be avoided.   Did you buy this place at a foreclosure auction?  maybe he is upset he lost his home.....   you might also get your real estate agents involved. 

    Sometimes people just want to be heard.....  i will say I agree with posting notices ad putting up rig cameras - they are super easy to install (even I ca do it) 

     I do plan on having my workers put no trespassing sign on the front door and back door. I took a picture of one of the signs that one of the posters above provided and sent it to the workers to put up. I also considered getting a dummy camera at the very least. If my workers know how to install a camera I am considering that as well. I also did tell them to lock the doors behind them when they’re over there working. I did not buy this house from a foreclosure. We got a fresh loan paid off his existing mortgage it was all pretty standard.



    Regular old purchase? I'd tell the guy to kick rocks, and I'm pretty easy to get along with. Whatever you left in that house when I sign the papers and give you my check belongs to me. If I'm throwing something out and you want it, generally I don't care you can have it. But showing up and harassing the workers, or even just getting in their way? Hell no.

    I have a house that I bought a few years ago. Not long after I closed I was over there and the neighbor came over - the neighboring house is a side-by-side ranch duplex, brick, in nice condition. She let me know she owned the property over there and started asking questions, hinting around trying to figure out what our plans were. I told her it would be one of our rental fleet properties. She started making some side comments about hoping we will keep the grass cut, this is a nice neighborhood, things like that. As it turns out, she owns the property next door as a rental - her son lives in one side and they rent the other. Well, over the next few weeks I could figure out she was a major busy body. She hinted around that she'd like to have the furniture that was left behind in the house by the previous owner, nice solid 1950's mid-century modern furniture that I could have sold for quite a lot of money. Of course, she wanted it for free, not interested in paying for anything. This kind of thing kept on for a couple of months - she complained to me about a tree that needed cutting, which turned out to be on her property, that there were sticks lying in our yard that no one picked up, etc. When we were finally finishing up the kitchen, I had the original electric stove (1950's model) removed. It was in the car port and she saw it, saw me outside and asked me if they could have the stove because it was an antique. If she hadn't been such a PITA I would have given her the stove, but she's the kind that would have taken the stove (it still worked but all the wiring was severely dry-rotted and exposed wires were everywhere), put it in her house, had a fire, then asked me to cover the damage. Sorry, stove went off to the recycle place.

    Some people just don't know how to act. If I sold a place and realized I wanted something, I'd just ask you nicely or even offer to pay for it. I wouldn't show up and cause you trouble. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Joe S.:

    Seller keeps coming back and harassing the workers. So we bought a house and now the seller keep coming back every day According to the workers. He saying that they hauled  off new furniture which of course they didn’t. The seller had left a few things they were old and nasty and so as part of the clean out the workers did have to remove them. He told my workers today that he was going to come back and take down the chandelier. Also someone forced entry in the back door and broke the trim getting in the house last night. I do realize some people have a hard time coming to grips that they no longer own their former house so I have tried not to escalate things. At some point I feel like I’m going to have to solicit the aid of the police if this continues. Has anyone dealt with something like this and found away to neutralize this sort of activity peacefully?

     Buy him a one way ticket to suplex city.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Joe S.:
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Joe S.:
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Call the police and have him charged.  Get a restraining order.

     That’s precisely what I am trying to avoid. (I know I’m weird like that and I can’t explain why.)

    OK, send two guys to break his legs. It would be kinder than what you're doing. Because your way ends up with him stomping around the property raving in the middle of the night, the cops get called, he starts screaming and threatening them, and finally the night's entertainment ends up with your seller getting Mozambiqued.

    We keep having this conversation on Bigger Pockets these days. Joe, you're just not doing anyone any favors avoiding this confrontation, least of all a seller who is clearly a bit off upstairs. Make an appointment, sit down with him, make it clear that he is no longer welcome on the property. You said you're not good at installing cameras. It's really not rocket science to screw in a battery-powered trail camera in a steel case next to the front door and another one next to the back door. Take a look at what you can buy at Amazon.

    I’ll take a look at what kind of camera I can buy at Amazon. Any particular brand etc. that I should be looking for?

    Trail cameras and enclosures. This is what I have monitoring the front door of Tiffany's duplex for the next thirty days.

    Wildgame Innovations TX10B1-8 Terra Extreme

     CAMLOCKBOX Security Box Compatible with Wildgame Innovations Trail Cameras

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    Talk to your realtor to pass on the message to the seller about this unacceptable behavior. Also, mention that the next time he trespasses on your property, you will file a complaint with the cops.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.