Triple Net Lease - Single Investment Grade/Tenants/Properties

Triple Net Lease - Single Investment Grade/Tenants/Properties

Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Hi Folks,

I'm just recently getting educated on commercial real estate & am really interested in absolute triple net lease, single investment grade or franchisee tenant/properties, however I'm concerned about the worst case scenario of having the single investment grade or franchisee tenant not wanting to release after the initial 15/20 year term is up (& do not want to initiate 5 yr term options). I know to keep risk as low as possible of this property going vacant after the initial lease term (or franchisee BK) would be to make sure I have invested in a property with a good location, growth market, population growth, good visability & all that stuff but my real question is what are the property types that have the lowest risk of having issues with vacancies or if it does go vacant it's not vacant for long after the initial term is up? Is it QSR's (quick service restaurants)? Seems if this type of property is in a good location there would be plenty of other franchisee's of the same brand or a different brands standing in line to take that location because there are so many different types a fast food chains/operators that could use the same or close to the same layout. Would that be close to accurate? Also typically would I be able to initiate another absolute triple net lease for another 15/20 years with a new franchisee tenant? Would this new tenant typically pay for any updates/upgrades/repurposing that is needed to the property or would that be on me as the landlord? I ask this question as I really like the passive income/NOI that comes with this kind of investment for the 1st 15/20 yrs but just concerned about post that. Does it get messy after that and become a less passive investment with shorter lease terms, more landlord responsibilities...etc?

2Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
4y

I have several NNN investments so I can speak to this. I have had a Dunkin Donuts and a Famous Daves go out of business. One finished their lease and one tried to break it. Anything can happen, but the key metric to James point is the location. As long as you buy a class A location the type of tenant won't matter as much. Every major corporation has closed doors for one reason or another so it does happen. In my case I paid for tenant improvements in the dunkin space to attract a new tenant and I was able to increase the rent! In the Famous Daves Case they paid a reduced rent, but I had no out of pocket or TI Costs. I do like the QSR space especially if it has a drive thru. I own a few of these and the tenants are doing well. Its also an easy retrofit for a new tenant without tearing down the building. Feel free to PM me but I could go on and on.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 103 posts · 112 votes
    4y

    @Ted Brandt having to re-tenant a building you bought as a NNN investment is always a part of the risk equation when buying these assets. I have found that the best way of mitigating this risk has been to focus on buying the real estate not the tenant or the lease. What I mean buy that is if you buy real estate by the right location and visibility, the asset will always be leased even if your acquisition tenant decides to leave. With that said, I would focus on primary market and if you focus in QSR's, focus on high visibility off major thoroughfares with demographics that can support various types of tenants. Most people are trying to go after higher yield which is inherently riskier from a release aspect when if there were focused on the assets trading in the 4%-5% CAP range, they typically will mitigate or mostly eliminate their risk and focus on rental growth within the space market rather than relying on what the capital markets are doing. That said, you will never be able to eliminate the risk entirely.

    As to your other questions, with releasing a space, you will more than likely be responsible for some capital cost in the form of tenant improvement allowances and broker commissions. Even if you rep your own leasing, most corporate tenants will have a tenant rep broker and it is standard in commercial real estate for the landlord to pay those commissions. As far as tenant improvements are concerned, it is usually standard to give a tenant a base improvement allowance which can be around $10-$20/sf with anything above that being amortized into the lease. With that said, you are improving the value of the facility and it would be like making another investment for a brand-new Net leased asset. 

    James Storey, CCIM

  • Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Thanks James great insight!!

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
    4y

    I have several NNN investments so I can speak to this. I have had a Dunkin Donuts and a Famous Daves go out of business. One finished their lease and one tried to break it. Anything can happen, but the key metric to James point is the location. As long as you buy a class A location the type of tenant won't matter as much. Every major corporation has closed doors for one reason or another so it does happen. In my case I paid for tenant improvements in the dunkin space to attract a new tenant and I was able to increase the rent! In the Famous Daves Case they paid a reduced rent, but I had no out of pocket or TI Costs. I do like the QSR space especially if it has a drive thru. I own a few of these and the tenants are doing well. Its also an easy retrofit for a new tenant without tearing down the building. Feel free to PM me but I could go on and on.

  • Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Thanks John!

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I'm glad you're comparing these to financial instruments, if you buy the right location (car counts, store volume, recent building layout) you can minimize a lot of the risk from tenant defaulting. That said, you need the platinum brands, not a Famous Daves or Long John Silver, etc.

    How are you buying? Cash? A lot of the $2-4 m is paid for all cash and very aggressive. @Joel Owens is the expert and he always says they are like the $200k rental house. Very competitive for people who know how to buy, plenty of duds dressed up as "turn key". You need someone who looks at hundreds of these a week to represent you.

    Review your lease to understand what your options are and notice requirements are for default or vacancy. If done right, you'll have very little downtime in between retenanting.

  • Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Thanks Ronald, good info & yes its going to be tough for me as my price range is going to be around $1.5M - $1.6M range with about 75% down.....so at this point just trying to get guidance on if there are good absolute triple net leases with good corporate or franchisee tenants with 15 year term & good location out there in this range? If not I may look into financing more (which I really don't want to do as I want to positive cash flow from the get go) or maybe look to bring in a partner. This is my main question as I don't want to have to compromise on my main criteria below to mitigate as much risk as possible:

    - Absolute triple net

    - Corporate or good franchisee single tenant

    - Good location

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    Ted those are 4 caps all day long with CA buyers. NNN lenders like loans of at LEAST 1 million.

    Even doing finance you estimate about 1.2 million down. Maybe a 3 million property. That is still very tough maybe 5 cap and debt at 5 cap for good location and tenant. Basically anything 3 million and under around 70% all cash buyers. If you are not 1031 exchange you might go after a blend and extend property or a ground lease where you have typically way below market rents compared to absolute NNN.

    These days on the broker side I really do not take anyone working below a 3 million price point. The cash buyers are so plentiful sub 2 million that in 24 to 48hrs of hitting market there are 12 offers on them.

    Think a lot of people making 100k to 200k a year from job or a business trying to get passive and move to NNN. Also with the current admin in office many see a big recession looming ( not trying to get political but if you look at economic cycle data it is happening ). During a down cycle investors want safety and stability. So getting 10 year fixed debt and having 10 to 15 years on the lease for primary lease term before options they can model out returns for next decade waiting for next upcycle.

    Now remember do not focus on cap rate so much because it is THEORETICAL meaning with a weak tenant or paying way overmarket rent the tenant could go dark. None of my clients tenants during Corona had an issue paying on STNL properties as they were credit grade.

    The only way I touch mediocre tenants is when locations is great, cap rate is high, rents are well below market. That way if they pay and stay I have high yield and if they go dark after tenant improvements, leasing commissions, and attorneys fees I still have great upside upon re-stabilizing. There is a lot of overpriced trash right now I would not touch that. It gets sold to uneducated buyers.      

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ted Brandt:

    Thanks Ronald, good info & yes its going to be tough for me as my price range is going to be around $1.5M - $1.6M range with about 75% down.....so at this point just trying to get guidance on if there are good absolute triple net leases with good corporate or franchisee tenants with 15 year term & good location out there in this range? If not I may look into financing more (which I really don't want to do as I want to positive cash flow from the get go) or maybe look to bring in a partner. This is my main question as I don't want to have to compromise on my main criteria below to mitigate as much risk as possible:

    - Absolute triple net

    - Corporate or good franchisee single tenant

    - Good location


    At that price, you're probably just going to do a few syndication chunks of $2-300k each. A LOT more work to vet, but its better than buying a dud NNN unless you have time to be one of the aggressive offers in 12-24hours...

  • Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Thanks Joel & Ronald for the feedback - very good to know & definitely sets my expectations on whats available in the NNN space

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
    4y

    Ted,

    You most certainly can find NNN deals in the 1-1.5 million range. It's kind of a perfect sweet spot. Too small for the rich/institutional guy and too big for the little guy just starting out. One thing to look out for is that investors get caught up with the Brand, but some of these brands are tired and poorly run by the franchisee. Fall in love with the location first! When doing your due diligence, look at the sales figures of the tenant, and ask if they are an experienced operator and how many stores do they run under their corp vail.

  • Real Estate Syndicator · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 907 votes
    4y

    Vacancy calculations in NNN deals is tough. It is hard to accurately predict. I always lean on the side of caution. I usually factor in a year worth of vacancy to fill the space.

  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ted Brandt:

    Hi Folks,

    I'm just recently getting educated on commercial real estate & am really interested in absolute triple net lease, single investment grade or franchisee tenant/properties, however I'm concerned about the worst case scenario of having the single investment grade or franchisee tenant not wanting to release after the initial 15/20 year term is up (& do not want to initiate 5 yr term options). I know to keep risk as low as possible of this property going vacant after the initial lease term (or franchisee BK) would be to make sure I have invested in a property with a good location, growth market, population growth, good visability & all that stuff but my real question is what are the property types that have the lowest risk of having issues with vacancies or if it does go vacant it's not vacant for long after the initial term is up? Is it QSR's (quick service restaurants)? Seems if this type of property is in a good location there would be plenty of other franchisee's of the same brand or a different brands standing in line to take that location because there are so many different types a fast food chains/operators that could use the same or close to the same layout. Would that be close to accurate? Also typically would I be able to initiate another absolute triple net lease for another 15/20 years with a new franchisee tenant? Would this new tenant typically pay for any updates/upgrades/repurposing that is needed to the property or would that be on me as the landlord? I ask this question as I really like the passive income/NOI that comes with this kind of investment for the 1st 15/20 yrs but just concerned about post that. Does it get messy after that and become a less passive investment with shorter lease terms, more landlord responsibilities...etc?

     Hey @Ted Brandt your hesitancy is very well thought out.  From my experience and what has been echoed here in these responses is that if the fundamentals of the location, the traffic counts, the visibility, etc.  Then re-tenanting is possible.  I won't say it will be easy but obviously the better the location and market fundamentals the better the pitch to future tenants.  One of our favorite conversions is a stand alone single tenant building, maybe 4K sf, on a pad at a retail   like a Kroger etc, and to get our clients in that.  The location and the fundamentals are always great, and even if you don't change the physical structure of the building, you'd be surprised how much a burger king or chase bank thats just been painted different colors looks nothing like the original.   

    As far as who has to pay for the refurbishment of the space, like all things in real estate that is negotiable.  Normally as a tenant rep I'm going to ask for a tenant improvement allowance, but that number varies by the buildout requirements and the market.  You could also accept an "under market" base rent in exchange for an as is space and not offering a TIA.  There are benefits and cons to both and it really depends on who the tenant is that is asking and what their use case for the building is.

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
    4y

    You could also invest in NNN Retail Condo's. These are street level spaces that are roughly 1,500 square feet. These investments are great because there is not a lot of TI that has to go into these spaces and are quicker to rent out than a traditional pad site with a building on it. Your basically investing in a box and the association of the building takes care of the roof and common grounds. Easy to insure and not a lot of headache/retrofitting.

  • Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    John - are there some advantages to NNN retail condo investing versus residential condo investing?

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
    4y

    NNN is passive and residential is not.

    In Residential you have to pay for taxes, insurance, and maintenance, whereas in NNN the tenant pays all of that

    The leases are 5-10 years vs. 1 year in residential

    Residential association rules can be a pain sometimes.  Sometimes they limit the # of Rentals you can have within the building.

    Generally speaking Class A retail holds it's value well in a down economy.  Residential prices tend to decrease.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.