When would you want/need as-built surveys done during the investment process?

When would you want/need as-built surveys done during the investment process?

Surveyor · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 10 votes

Admittedly, this is a self-serving question, as my "9-5" is operating a nationwide architectural as-built company. But I'm genuinely curious and wanting to prepare for when it comes time for my own CRE investments. This topic is just one of a few hundred questions I'll have.

I typically work on projects that are ready to proceed into the tenant improvement phase and need architectural design drawings. In other cases, are architectural surveys/as-built floor plans needed during due-diligence phase, just prior to closing on a deal, for insurance policy purposes, or anything else you can list? 

Thank you ahead of time for taking a moment to respond. 

0Reply
6 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Thai Chau:

    Admittedly, this is a self-serving question, as my "9-5" is operating a nationwide architectural as-built company. But I'm genuinely curious and wanting to prepare for when it comes time for my own CRE investments. This topic is just one of a few hundred questions I'll have.

    I typically work on projects that are ready to proceed into the tenant improvement phase and need architectural design drawings. In other cases, are architectural surveys/as-built floor plans needed during due-diligence phase, just prior to closing on a deal, for insurance policy purposes, or anything else you can list? 

    Thank you ahead of time for taking a moment to respond. 


     Typically they are provided as part of the DD phase with an ALTA survey and the building also is provided. Interiors typically have floor plans that layout core/shell and tenant spaces. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    after PSA, before closing. 

  • Surveyor · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    Thank you so much for your feedback, @Ronald Rohde & @Chris Seveney! I hate to admit it but I had to research what ALTA and PSA meant. So thanks to you both, I learned something new. I'm truly grateful.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.