Buying residential to change to commercial

Buying residential to change to commercial

Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 0 votes

I want to buy a piece of residential land that has vacant house at 4 way. intersection. About 9 acres land is available .

How difficult is it to get it rezoned to commercial to set up a gas station?

How can I get approved for funding for entire project? Including land and build cost?

Can my offer have contingency for phase 1 passing in addition to rezoning approval? Would I have to have financing prior to offering?

Can I do a purchase clause saying the deal is null and void if not zoned to commercial?

I want to put gas station/convenience store.

0Reply
26 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · San Antonio · Member since 2016 · 157 posts · 85 votes
    2y

    The physical effort to rezone is not difficult, but it is often reliant on what the City ultimately wants in this area.  Some cities have Future Land Use Maps available on their websites and if that can give you insight. If "commercial" is here in a future land plan, then the public approvals will likely go smoothly. 

    You will probably need to subdivide the lot and just rezone a portion that you wish to build the gas station, as to not rezone all 9 acres at once. 

    I've done several 7-Elevens and many needed rezoning. However mine were not existing residential use. In addition to rezoning, your Gas Station & Convenience Store may require a Conditional Use Permit. 


    A good step one is having a meeting with City Planning & Zoning staff. 

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kev Pito:

    I want to buy a piece of residential land that has vacant house at 4 way. intersection. About 9 acres land is available .

    How difficult is it to get it rezoned to commercial to set up a gas station?

    How can I get approved for funding for entire project? Including land and build cost?

    Can my offer have contingency for phase 1 passing in addition to rezoning approval? Would I have to have financing prior to offering?

    Can I do a purchase clause saying the deal is null and void if not zoned to commercial?

    I want to put gas station/convenience store.


     It can be as difficult as the city/public want it to be. If neighbors are commercial use, it makes it objectively easier than residential.

    Yes, I would have tons of contingencies in my PSA, you're not closing if zoning change isn't approved. Common and easy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.