Unsolicited offer on property, what to do?

Unsolicited offer on property, what to do?

Member since 2024 · 68 posts · 25 votes

TL;DR: Received an unsolicited offer on my property for ~50% more than I paid ~2.5 years ago. What should I do?

Details:
-purchased prop about 2.5 years ago
-unsolicited offer for 50% more than I paid
-cost segregation done on property
-held in LLC

-my broker believes it will not appraise for that price, so we would need to build in contingencies to force the buyer to throw more cash into the deal so the bank will lend
-property just turned vacant, previous tenant did not renew due to consolidation
-we are seeing good potential tenant traction as well, so not desperate to sell -- vacate carry cost is manageable and we feel confident we can get it leased at fair market value
-I have a 5-4-3-2-1 penalty from the bank for prepayment

I think 50% increase is great. The problem is I'd want to 1031 it into something else and only if it makes sense. In other words, I don't want a NNN Starbucks location that has a 3.5% cap because the clock is winding down and I'm desperate. I don't want to sell and have nothing worthwhile to purchase.

Logically, I should sell. I mean 50% gains in 2.5 years plus rent I've collected is a great win. Even after fees, etc it's still a win. The issue is potentially rushing to find another property or two to 1031 into.

And, the largest issue is a new loan. Rates obviously are climbing and I would not be surprised if the rate wasn't a high 7 or 8%. So my borrowing cost will be much higher as well. I'd probably have to do a 3-5 year loan so I can hopefully refinance it if/when rates contract.

I assume credit is tightening as well, so it will be an even bigger PIA to secure a loan.

Things I should think about or consider? What would you do? Also, my investment philosophy is all about cashflow. I didn't get into real estate to flip properties. I want a good income stream. So this offer is kind of throwing me off a bit.

0Reply
419 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
4d

50% of what? If I paid $100k and I was offered $150 I wouldn't be too excited, but if I paid 1 million and was offered 1.5 I would be willing to listen.

Bottom line is what was your goal with the property when you bought, and does this figure into that goal? Without the carry over on a 1031 it doesn't sound like all that great a situation, and if values have gone up that much how does it compare to the rest of the neighborhood? Maybe you're on the precipice of even better profits if you hold.

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2024 · 68 posts · 25 votes
    4d

    Also, what kind of cap rates should we be looking at considering the cost of money currently? 7.5+?

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4d

    50% of what? If I paid $100k and I was offered $150 I wouldn't be too excited, but if I paid 1 million and was offered 1.5 I would be willing to listen.

    Bottom line is what was your goal with the property when you bought, and does this figure into that goal? Without the carry over on a 1031 it doesn't sound like all that great a situation, and if values have gone up that much how does it compare to the rest of the neighborhood? Maybe you're on the precipice of even better profits if you hold.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
    • Member since 2024 · 68 posts · 25 votes
      4d

      It's from 2.1 to 3.3m. So not an insignificant gain.

      In theory, if I take my current asking lease prices and pencil it out, my net income would ~$63k annually. There would also be TI to account for which would potentially would be a significant amount of money.

      Looking at one property for comparison to see what the income would look like for a $3+ property, it pencils out to about $95k net.

      So the delta is about $32k for the first year between keeping the property vs. redeploying the capital. But of course this is behind the envelope math with a lot of moving parts. So it's really hard to compare apples to apples.

  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4d

    if its a win, and you think you can do better in another asset, sell it, take proceeds, take the tax hit, put it in a high yield account and wait till you find the right deal. the deals will be out there, to your point the cash on hand will be the most valuable way to get the deals that are coming, but also to your point you don't wanna be tied to a timeline or have other motivators in the background pushing the cards around.

  • Investor · Superior, WI · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    4d

    If cashflow is your goal, think carefully before selling a performing property. The market has shifted so much in the past several years that there are a lot of incetives to hanging onto a good property. It sounds like you have a decent loan and interest rate on this building, which also have value to you.

    Between broker fees for the transaction, higher interest rates on a new building, and low inventory in many markets for replacement properties, it can be a good move to hold onto your current property. For buy and hold investors, it's not a bad thing to sit on some equity for a while until a real buying opportunity presents itself. That last thing I think you would want to do is go through the work and hassle of selling this property, acquiring a replacement property, and still only cashflowing roughly the same amount annually.

    However, I would also carefully think about the likelihood of you getting another comparable offer to this one on your property. If you think that most likely will not happen again, then it might be worth the risk to sell, and transition into another building.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    4d

    Are you also saving all realtors fees or paying theirs? (Makes it equivalent to an even higher offer.). Can you get a serious non-refundable earnest deposit? (At least $100k, preferably $200k? (3-6%)) If necessary let them do any inspections that prevent them from feeling good about that. Remind them the reason they don’t close doesn’t matter, you’re keeping the money. That will weed out wholesalers and tire kickers looking to retrade before closing..

    You can always make a slow close to get more time to shop 1031 options or pay the taxes and be free to invest in anything you want. Do the math on if your rent is a good return on this new value. If that number doesn’t pencil you should sell. They may have a reason for offering more that “market value” that other buyers won’t have. Think about how many years of perfect rental performance it will take to make that $1M. Good luck either way.

  • Divin KanyamaBusiness Member
    Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 330 posts · 120 votes
    4d

    @Bob Dole A 50% increase in 2.5 years is worth taking seriously, but the decision should be based on net proceeds and replacement economics—not the headline gain alone. Model the sale after brokerage costs, the prepayment penalty, depreciation recapture from the cost segregation study, capital-gains tax, and any state taxes. Then compare that result with the property’s expected cash flow after re-leasing.

    A 1031 exchange can preserve more equity, but it should not force a weaker acquisition simply to meet the deadline. Before accepting, identify realistic replacement properties, confirm financing terms, and consider negotiating a longer closing period or other flexibility. It may also be useful to compare a taxable sale, a 1031 exchange, and simply holding and re-leasing side by side.

    Given the cash-flow objective and manageable vacancy, there is no need to sell solely because the offer is attractive. The strongest choice is the one that improves long-term income after taxes, debt costs, and reinvestment risk. A premium offer is valuable only if the next use of the capital is at least as compelling.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4d

    If you decide to sell, don't use their contract without a careful review by your attorney or Insist on a standard NAR real estate contract for residential in your area or modify a commercial contract you have used before, or have your attorney write the contract.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4d

    Tell them something like...."Bob Dole does not usually accept unsolicited offers, but Bob Dole may consider your offer with a serious earnest money check to get started. Let Bob Dole know what terms you're looking for, and if these terms agree with Bob Dole, Bob Dole's attorney will get back to you with a Bob Dole sale agreement. "

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    4d

    @Henry T.

    Bill B totally thought you made up Bob Dole as an example. Bill B didn’t realize OP was named Bob Dole. Bill B found it amusing and thanks Henry T for the unintended laugh.

    Bill B remembered why….   

    https://share.google/aimode/zHLMJi0l9NCzD5tEx

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3d

    @Bob Dole, once you've broken down the implications of keeping vs. selling the property, you can decide what makes the most sense long term. If you do decide to sell the property, the 1031 is really the only way to go with your depreciation recapture and large capital gain looming.

    You're right that lending is what makes it tricky in this environment. But you are dealing with a bunch of cash coming from the sale. So, one option that a lot of our clients have taken is to use some of the cash from the sale and 1031 into a wholly owned building or two. This eliminates the worry about the rate. They then take the rest of the cash and purchase a good DST or two. You can find good ones and match up their debt ratios to what you need. So you don't have to worry about debt at all. But at the same time, you're getting the return off the cash in the DST. And you've got a property and two outside and debt-free to build further

    And the best thing of all - those debt-free properties are just equity waiting to be accessed when rates come back down.  So you can expand further..

    Sometimes investors will make the purchase contingent on the sale of their property and put down a little earnest money to sweeten things up. 

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3d

    OP without the exact hard numbers. To me this is a Hard sell it.

    Correct me if I’m wrong.

    Say a $3mm asset making say $100k net. That's a bad asset if REI.

    What is your COC. Did you put $500,000 down and now can make a gain of say $1mm plus get your $500k back? Sell.

    If you put the full amount down, then definitely sell it.

    How much did you do early depr, loan early pay penalties, sale commission? Etc. Etc.

    $100k non refundable no matter what. Depending on type of asset and number of renters. 30 day DD, 30 day financing, 3day offer.

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1d

    Bob, I think the biggest thing I’d avoid is letting the 1031 deadline dictate the investment decision. A 50% increase in value over 2.5 years is obviously worth taking seriously, but I’d first calculate the true net proceeds after selling costs, the 5 4 3 2 1 prepayment penalty, remaining debt, and the tax consequences.

    One tax issue I would address before closing on a sale is the cost segregation study you already completed. Cost segregation can accelerate depreciation into shorter recovery periods, and some of those assets can fall under Section 1245. That means you need to model the potential depreciation recapture before assuming that a 1031 will defer all of the tax consequences. Certain Section 1245 recapture can still be recognized in a qualifying 1031 exchange. IRS That makes the cost segregation history particularly important in your situation. I’d have your CPA calculate exactly what was accelerated, what has already been depreciated, and what could be subject to recapture if you sell.

    If you decide to sell, I'd then compare the after tax economics of several replacement properties. The replacement property does not have to be a trophy asset just because you have exchange proceeds available. A mediocre 3.5% NNN deal bought under pressure could create a worse long term outcome than waiting for something that actually fits your cash flow strategy. The financing deserves its own stress test too. If the replacement requires new debt at 7% or 8%, I'd want to know whether the property still produces the cash flow you're looking for after debt service, taxes, insurance, reserves, and realistic operating expenses.

    The real comparison here is hold versus sell versus sell and 1031, with the tax consequences of each modeled before making the decision. Feel free to DM me, I’d be happy to send over our Commercial Property Analyzer and a few resources that may help you compare the options.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    23h

    From a tax perspective, I'd try and calculate what the gain would be so you understand what would happen if you can't do a 1031 exchange. 

    I would also consider selling at the beginning of 2027 if possible so you could sell this property, purchase another and do a cost seg on that property instead of a 1031 exchange or if your 1031 exchange fails. 

    id consider evaluating other properties in your portfolio as well as looking at loss carryovers on form 8582 if you're not real estate professional. 

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 858 votes
    21h

    A 50% gain in 2.5 years is hard to ignore, but I wouldn’t let the offer make the decision for me. You said your goal is cash flow, so I’d start there.

    What would the property produce if you keep it and get it leased at market rent? Then compare that with what the equity would produce in the next property after the 1031, higher interest rate, closing costs and everything else.

    If you don’t have a replacement property you really like, I wouldn’t sell just because you have a great offer. A big gain is great, but there’s also a cost to selling a good cash-flowing asset and putting the money into something you like less.

    Sometimes the best deal is the one you already own.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.