What are the best books on investing in land?

3 Replies

Does any one have any recommendations for good books or courses on land investment?  I did a search on this site, Google search, Amazon search and it's difficult to find books on this topic.  Especially recent books.  

My search came up with some John T. Reed recommendations:

-Robert Abalos: "Investing in Land: How to Build Wealth Buying, Selling, Subdividing and Developing Land"  $927 (that's not a misprint - $927!) on Amazon - it's a 3 ring binder  2003

- Finding and Buying your Place in the Country by Les Scher 2000

-How to Make a Fortune Investing in Real Estate: The Land Game by Albert Winnikoff 1970 

Other books:

-Investing in Land: It's Not What You Think: John Pehrson 2008

The Abalos book looks like what I'm looking for.  But $927 is pretty steep for something from 2003.  Any suggestions?

Maybe you should look into development related books, most cover the land acquisition segment of developing.

Originally posted by @Martin Z. :

Maybe you should look into development related books, most cover the land acquisition segment of developing.

Any suggestions on development books?

I was doing a similar search a couple years ago. I found several books that overdid the hype, didn't address the subject in depth and used way too many metaphors. I found that the urban land institute publishes books that are useful. You can get them on their site or Amazon. Good luck!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.