Average hold period of an apartment building

Average hold period of an apartment building

Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 16 votes

Hi All,

I currently own a duplex and quad and am now actively looking to jump into purchasing a larger property in the NJ/PA area.  I have my eyes on a 23 unit in PA.

While I haven't seen it physically yet, the provided proforma looks good.  However what strikes me as odd is ownership has changed hands multiple times in a short span of time.  The history is below. Not listed below is the current owner who purchased the property for about $910,000 in 3/16 and after making improvements and raising rents is selling it for $1.280,000 (recent decrease from $1.33M)

Are multiple owners a sign of a dud?

Thanks!

Name Date Purchase Price
Owner B 4/20/2011 $1,050,000
Owner C 11/13/2006 $615,740
Owner D 5/23/2006 $978,500
Owner E 1/9/2001 $529,340
Owner F 9/13/1994 $619,420   
0Reply
18 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bryan, TX · Member since 2014 · 258 posts · 170 votes
    9y

    Defintely odd, assuming they are all unrelated transactions. Part of the due diligence would be knowing why. 

  • Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 303 posts · 67 votes
    9y

     Only D - C kinda caught my attention off the bat, have you verified those transactions are arms-length deals?

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 733 votes
    9y
    Nabeel Mahmud - interesting observation. I don't know that I would have picked up on that, thanks for the altering view as I'm learning more about mid MFRs. is it possible these transactions follow that market's cycle? Was Owner C's purchase from the bank/foreclosure?
  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    @Martin Z.  Thanks for the suggestion.   Can you please share what an arm's length transaction is and how I can determine if it is.

    @Jay Helms  Appreciate the idea.  However, owners C and D are just 6 months apart.  I don't think that would be indicative of anything related to market.

  • Full time investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 405 posts · 312 votes
    9y

    @Nick M. - I would call a local realtor or property management company and get the scoop on the place.  You can also use google maps to find some of the neighbors or neighboring businesses and ask them about the property.  That may save you a trip.

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    The first thing that strikes me as a red flag is that the current owner hasn't even owned it for a year and is looking to sell for a $300k increase on what they paid for it.
  • Lender · Nat'l Commercial Mtg Lender - Round Rock, TX · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 235 votes
    9y

    @Nabeel Mahmud It will depend on the investor's strategy.  Many commercial loans are typically 5 year fix and might be ballooning or the rate is adjusting or the pre-payment penalty is no longer in existence; so you will see some investors decide to sell at the five you mark.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.