Buyers agent or other services for first time commercial deal?

Buyers agent or other services for first time commercial deal?

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote

I'm looking at a commercial office space deal, as a first time commercial investor.  After some difficulty getting ahold of commercial lenders, I found a broker to talk to who thought the credit / finance requirements were completely doable (~ 2 million dollar sale price).    I'm looking at the next steps, which include and executive summary and personal finance info, and potentially constructing an offer - before investing much more time securing financing.  

Having never done this before, what kind of advisory services would users here recommend?  Is simply finding a buyers agent in commercial real estate a good idea?  Are there other commercial investing services I should look into?    Love to hear your thoughts.

0Reply
10 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    9y

    I only do commercial retail with clients for purchasing and do not focus on office. SIOR website has a lookup feature for commercial brokers close to where the property is located and they focus a lot on office.

    Generally a lender is looking for net worth close to the purchase price of a property or higher and liquidity reserves of 10% of the loan balance after down payment. How much down will depend on going in cap rate.

    So 2,000,000 at 25% down is 500.000 leaving a balance to start of 1,500,000. So 150,000 liquid minimum between cash value of life insurance policy, 401k,IRA, CD, Savings,Checking, Stocks,etc.

  • Real Estate Professional · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    @Charles O.  I strongly encourage you to identify an attorney, a broker, and an accountant to advise you on each deal you seriously consider.  Each of these professionals will have a fiduciary duty to protect your interests and the best are worth every penny.  Good luck!

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thanks for the answers. I ended up talking to a buyers agent in the commercial real estate space. That was very useful - would recommend that as I guess the first step for anybody looking at commercial property for the first time. If we go forward with an LOI, I would probably end up using all the above Charlie, including an attorney, accountant etc.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    9y

    Hi Charles,

    Just be sure they are not a generalist in the commercial space. Some brokers like to dabble in a bunch of things. They tend to have general info and knowledge of various asset classes but do not specialize.

    Those nuances and deep expert level knowledge from a specialist makes all the difference in the world when you are buying a property in the millions to tens of million of dollars in purchase price.

    For instance in retail commercial I have specific commercial attorneys I use that have specialized skills like I do in a specific asset class.

    Hope it helps. The generalist while helpful might miss some key things that affects the out come and performance of your property into the future. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.