Still good time for self storage unit investing?

Still good time for self storage unit investing?

Real Estate Investor · Philadephia, PA · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 36 votes

Just focus on value add apartment building until now,but recently,I went through the posts regarding self storage units.

Just would like to know is this still good phase for investment in self storage unit?

I choose assets for wealth building,so I focus on value-add chance,not passive cash flow or for retirement.

Thank you for all the inputs from different perspectives,thank you.

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Monroe, GA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
9y
Vincent, In my market area storage facilities are still in demand. The ones I've seen in the past had great cash flow. I still get construction/development requests for self storage facilities also. Hope this helped.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Monroe, GA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Vincent, In my market area storage facilities are still in demand. The ones I've seen in the past had great cash flow. I still get construction/development requests for self storage facilities also. Hope this helped.
  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 112 posts · 83 votes
    9y

    Storage is hot, just like the rest of the market. I closed my first storage acquisition about 3 weeks ago for my company. It was a brokered deal but there was potential for upside (for example, 30 units just needed to be trashed out). If you find a brokered deal, avoid overpaying by analyzing the market for supply and demand factors, and getting favorable debt terms. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Vincent Chen,

    Anytime is good for storage. What's more important is where.

    You need to research the local market. Is the storage market in your target area well served, saturated or under served?

    That will tell you where to focus.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 933 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Hi Vincent, agree w/David, its a pretty resilient sector, people buy stuff when times are good and store stuff when times are tough.  There are more revenue opportunities from storage as well and despite all the big companies constructing new sites, the industry is still vastly in the majority of mom n pops and fragmented. Here's a brief blog that you might find beneficial.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/9145/54155-sel...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.