Self-Storage conversion of part of a building...Yes? No?

Self-Storage conversion of part of a building...Yes? No?

Bloomington, IN · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 3 votes

Dear BiggerPockets BrainTrust:

Folks, I'm about to pull the trigger on my first deal (tommorow?!?) and I have questions. I'm purchasing a 4600SF commercial building 30 feet off the main Square in small town Indiana. The square is currently undergoing a massive (and well funded) revitalization effort, which I thought would be as good a place to hitch my wagon as any. That said, I have experience in spas (building and operating), so the obvious choice for ~2000 feet is a spa...and I may already have a leasee. However, that leaves ~2600 feet unaccounted for. Now, I can do a lot of things with the space, however, as it is dry, has a loading dock, is at least temperature controlled (might be climate controlled as the building has been used for document storage for a decade), and has a dry fire suppression system installed and working. But, this particular section is not public-facing (access only off a back street), has no windows (cinderblocked up years ago) and is far from sexy...it's just space.

One of my ideas is to fit it for self-storage units. I'm a quick study and have started reading up on such things, however, there is precious little on doing it to such a small space or even how to estimate costs. Can anyone give me advice, pros, cons, etc? Is it a good idea or is there a more lucrative way to profit off the space?

Thank you in advance for any and all ideas!

Jim

0Reply
33 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Murfreesboro, TN · Member since 2013 · 430 posts · 178 votes
    9y
    Would zoning allow the mix ? If so I would do a feasibility study to see the need and call other local storage facilities and see how crowded they are.
  • Bloomington, IN · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Your advice, and that of others, forced me to re-examine this deal...which I realized wasn't until further notice. Pity. But there it is. Thank YOU for helping point me in the right direction.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.