Pursuing Residential or Commercial Real Estate

Pursuing Residential or Commercial Real Estate

Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hi all,

Recently, I’ve been interested in investing in real estate due to the cash flow, equity buildup, appreciation, tax benefits, etc.

I did multiple calculations with conservative numbers for the US Midwest area and came to the conclusion that I am able to cash flow $250-$300 per SFH (mortgage, property manager, taxes, insurance, 10% for vacancies & repairs). Roughly 15%-20% ROI which I am happy with. Repeat the process with dozens of properties and I should have healthy passive income coming in from the rentals. Maybe later I can do a 1031 exchange for an apartment building to grow my passive income even more. The growing population always needs a place to live and land is finite so it makes sense to invest in Residential so far.

However, a buddy of mine told me that investing in Residential is a waste of time for my case and that I should just jump into Commercial Real Estate (strip malls/office buildings/industrial, not apartments). From my understanding, Commercial Real Estate is a "rich man's game" so the barrier of entry might be hard for me unless I aggressively save money. It also seems to me that retail storefronts are a dying breed so looking for a tenant for my units will be even harder (assuming I go with strip malls). I've heard stories that it's not uncommon for some buildings to be vacant for years. The upside is that I can generate more income per month with a commercial building and the ability to execute a NNN lease, which sounds pretty enticing.

I’m still pretty young, but I hope I can buy a decent commercial building ($150K-$300K) with at least a 7-10% cap rate.

Does anybody have any experience with commercial real estate investing? Is it as lucrative as society makes it to be? And how does the future look for commercial real estate in general?

Thank you.

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
9y

Mom and pop commercial is 150k to 300k and up.

Most commercial retail that is quality is in the millions to tens of millions in price.

My clients are typically putting down 500k into the millions for down payment. If doing mom and pop commercial keep close to home for investing.

National type assets can be owned in other states but that is a different dynamic completely.  

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Podcaster & Multi-Family Apartment Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 273 posts · 138 votes
    9y

    I invest in commercial multi-family; it's all I know. One thing YOU need to think about is: when the market takes it's next dip... what goes first: 1) housing or 2) office space?

    I believe that if I had to chose what I paid for one month between the roof over my head or my office... I would pay for shelter. 

    This is the reason I invest in Commercial Residential over NNN office spaces.

    Whatever you do, I wish you success!

    -Adam Adams

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Adam Adams. Good insight

  • Spartanburg, SC · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Adam Adams I would like to chat to get guidance with my apartment investing. I am new to South Carolina Market.
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    9y

    Mom and pop commercial is 150k to 300k and up.

    Most commercial retail that is quality is in the millions to tens of millions in price.

    My clients are typically putting down 500k into the millions for down payment. If doing mom and pop commercial keep close to home for investing.

    National type assets can be owned in other states but that is a different dynamic completely.  

  • Podcaster & Multi-Family Apartment Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 273 posts · 138 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Sincere Fox:

    Adam Adams I would like to chat to get guidance with my apartment investing. I am new to South Carolina Market.

     Sure, reach out to me any time!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.