Can I use mixed-use commercial space for residential tenant?

Can I use mixed-use commercial space for residential tenant?

New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hi everyone, I'm curious if there is a restriction with mixed-use properties that the commercial element must be used solely for commercial purposes or if it could be used for residential as well?

Eg: A property with shopfront on ground floor and two residences above. Commercial market is slow in area but need for residential is high. Can I use the commercial space for res until commercial need picks up?

It may mean I need to install a small kitchen and bathroom.

Any information would be much appreciated :)

0Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greeley, CO · Member since 2017 · 226 posts · 99 votes
    8y

    Check with you local planning and zoning department.  Remodel of space should be permitted and conform to any local regulations.  Your local Building & Code enforcement department can probably point you in the right direction.

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Thanks Joshua :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.