Selling a commercial building, can I add a contingency to a count

Selling a commercial building, can I add a contingency to a count

Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 2 votes

I have a commercial building I would like to sell. But I would not like it used for certain purposes. Can I limit what the new purchasers can use the building for?

0Reply
15 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    If you sell it why do you want to still control it?

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    I have an interest in the community. Would like it to remain family friendly. I'm selling it because I closed the business it was housing and don't need it in my portfolio. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Hi Mary,

    You may be able to use some form of a deed restriction (or you may not), but those are typically done to increase the value of the parcel.

    In this case you may be limiting the resale value by decreasing its appeal.

    Probably best to check with a local attorney.

    Good Luck!

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thank you

  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Yes you can restrict uses in the deed.

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thank you! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.