Creative way to raise roof on industrial building

Creative way to raise roof on industrial building

Torrance, CA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 4 votes

I am looking at old industrial building to purchase. The ceiling height is pretty low. I am looking for some creative way how to refurbish such building. Build some pylons & increase the height of the roof. I keep wondering if this could be good for CLT (compact laminated timber) to accomplish the goal. Looking for some solution which will make the building nice, but also cost effective. 

1Reply
45 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Tuscumbia, AL · Member since 2019 · 111 posts · 99 votes
    6y

    @John Vanhara

    Is the building a steel structure underneath the masonry? 

  • Torrance, CA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    I don't think so. I can just see the masonry inside or outside. 

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I've not heard of any cost effective roof raising. Only opportunity is with fire/damage and insurance payout.

  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Vanhara:

    I am looking at old industrial building to purchase. The ceiling height is pretty low. I am looking for some creative way how to refurbish such building. Build some pylons & increase the height of the roof. I keep wondering if this could be good for CLT (compact laminated timber) to accomplish the goal. Looking for some solution which will make the building nice, but also cost effective. 

     You have lots of options when it comes to raising roofs. Best bet is to get all the details of the building structure then discuss with a company like this https://rooflifters.com As a GC I have lifted several roofs on buildings, lifted houses and buildings and my house moving company even moved a lighthouse successfully

    https://www.nps.gov/caha/learn...

     It's all a matter of time and costs.
  • Torrance, CA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Thanks

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 530 posts · 398 votes
    6y

    Great way to increase your cubic square footage. Perhaps go up when you can't go out. How is the loading?

  • Torrance, CA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 4 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Bjorik Mutize:

    Great way to increase your cubic square footage. Perhaps go up when you can't go out. How is the loading?

     Unfortunately there is no high loading dock. Only ground roll up door. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.