Self Storage- Will they come? Market size?

Self Storage- Will they come? Market size?

Henry ClarkPro Member
Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

@P from prior topic, use this to understand the capacity in your market and your best options.  Never go with one offer.  They have the power.  Work in several towns and once and be prepared to make several options with one week time limits on them.  You then have the power.  You are prepared to walk away from a deal.

Not going to give you the answer (maybe if you were Army or Air Force) LOL, but here is the approach.  At the end you will come up with a ratio.  There is already per sq ft metrics out there.  This one you will develop.  Understand it. And most importantly own it.  Once you get your ratio, track me down and we should have about the same ratio (x/100 population).  This should take you two weekends or three days to complete.

Market Demand- “Will they come?”

I'll give you the tool I use, but you will have to make an investment of your own time. Otherwise you don't own the data.

Step 1 "Capacity":
Count the units and sizes in that market. Get headcount by googling the town or zip code. Be aware if the town is standalone, or it might have a large population outside since it is a suburban community to a larger town nearby. Add those people in by using County or School area population.

Example:
Town 1:
#of units/headcount= 300 units in the area/ population 3,000= 10 units per 100 people.

Town 2:
500 4,000= 12.5 per 100
Town 3:
and so on.

Do every stand alone town in a 60 mile radius, or until your satisfied. You will get a High, Low and a average. I have a certain ratio per 100 headcount (not households, not age, not sex) I use when deciding to buy or build in a town. You will get to the same answer I have.

Luckily we are all the same. Death, divorce, fire, home sale, floods, layoffs, etc. No matter whether your Rich or poor, city or country folk. The ratio above works anywhere.


Step 2 "Existing":
In each town count the number of units by size. When I do my ratio I assume all units are the same. Count the 10/15/20's. Any smaller units just make them equivalents of a 10 x15. 3 5 x 10's= 1 unit

Although I am counting them all as the same, the reason, I say count by size is for when you build.

Now lets calculate "Demand":
Number of units needed (Step 1) minus Number of units existing (Step 2) = Quantity to build.

Town 1:
500 - 400 = 100

Town 2:
300 - 100 = 200

Town 3:
and so on.

This will help you pick which town you have the greatest potential for success. "Subject" to other factors that is where you want to either buy or build first. You only need to do the above once. I have kept this ratio in my head since the first time and make all my decisions using it, before I move into a market. If your in a large city, use this ratio. Pick the zip codes in your territory.

Many exceptions to the above.
a. My town has the highest per 100 count around by far, and I am still building. There are reasons.
b. I just built in a town that was not the best of the ratios. But the largest facility with 1/2 the business is 4 miles out of town by themselves.
c. There is a town that is Fully Saturated. No extra unit will ever be rented in it. I would love to build there. Everyone built 10 x 20's for some reason and they did it at the south end of town where the zoning is easiest. I can build halfway to the population who is in the Northend of town and I would hone in on 10's and 15's with some 20's. Everyone thinks they have less than they have. They will rent 10's or 15's first.
d. We are building our last location. Your eyes never stop looking. The best spot I have seen is a cornfield where you can't see a single house. Would loved to have built that one.

You don't know me.
1. Own the data yourself. Don't have me give you the figure. Question the logic, “all of us are the same”.
2. We are in 5 towns, 8 locations. Most are in towns of 5,000 or less. We are in Phase 1 rent up stage in our first large city location (630) and in building stage across town (330).

I have used this tool for all of the Buyouts or build outs above. "Put your money where your mouth is."


Ad Hoc- Traffic counts
Two locations, one with 70,000 Vehicles per day and one with 15,000 per day. Both in the same general area. I picked the 15,000; why? Learn the nuances. Start small and make your mistakes then.

Don’t trust me. Own the info, it’s your money. Everything in the Storage business can be validated.

22Reply
247 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2024 · 1 post · 1 vote
2y

I’m doing the work of reading your posts Henry. I don’t really understand this formula or any of the stuff yet , but I’m writing down things. 

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2018 · 70 posts · 27 votes
    3y

    @Henry Clark in step 1, what is the numerator of the ratio? The denominator is obviously total town population. You state the numerator is “units in the area” but that sounds like existing units, which is what’s calculated in Step 2. Any clarity would be appreciated. Thanks!

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Slaiman Atayee:

    @Henry Clark in step 1, what is the numerator of the ratio? The denominator is obviously total town population. You state the numerator is “units in the area” but that sounds like existing units, which is what’s calculated in Step 2. Any clarity would be appreciated. Thanks!


     1 is mainly on the population.  2 is on the existing units.  Duplicated the conversation to a degree.  

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    @Henry Clark When counting units and sizes in step 1, should climate controlled units be excluded if someone was to only target the non climate controlled drive up market? Or should the ratio include all units in the market even if I don’t plan to compete with climate controlled?

    If so, would a different (smaller) ratio apply to how many units a certain population should have?

    Thanks!

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Include them even though they aren’t your competition. 

  • Huong T NguyenPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 93 posts · 35 votes
    2y

    Is there a better way to find out how many existing units are there in each town, or do I need to drive to each facility and ask?

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    Just use google maps and you can do a good job counting the number and size of units.  Each span in the side of a building is one foot.  Count them and that will tell you the size. 

  • Huong T NguyenPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 93 posts · 35 votes
    2y

    Thanks a lot, Henry! Greatly appreciated1

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 23 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    @Henry Clark Doing the analysis on existing facilities and using google map. How do I determine what size is 10*15 and 10*20?

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Emeka Attoh:

    @Henry Clark Doing the analysis on existing facilities and using google map. How do I determine what size is 10*15 and 10*20?

    The ribs or side panels on the building ends are one foot.  Either count half way.  15 is a 30 wide building and 20 is a 40 wide building. 
  • Member since 2024 · 86 posts · 69 votes
    2y

    Hey Henry.  Very simple and easy to understand analysis of SS.  A couple of questions about determining the ratio of units to population.   How on Google Maps or Earth can you estimate # of units in a facility?  I can see the buildings on Google Earth, but that is about all?  Aside from going to the facility what is the way to do this.  Also, how do you factor or account for an area/town that experiences lots of seasonal tourism, compared to the town that does not? 

    Also, how would I know after doing the analysis for towns in my market area if a particular ratio is indicative of a better, or underserved market?  I have owned an existing self-storage facility in Jacksonville, FL, but have not developed my own from scratch so this is new to me.  Thanks for your time and information.  Wade Wisner

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Wade Wisner   We use a ratio of 6 units (10/15/20 depth) for 100 people and not households; as average.  Anything below that we are comfortable investing in.  Our home town is about 11/100 and me and my major competitor are still building.  Do your ratios for each market areas.  For big cities, narrow down to about a 2 mile radius.  Then you compare locations against each other.  6/100; 3/100; 10/100; etc.  The lower the ratio, the more underserved the market.  Greater chance for success versus another location.  We will rank 3 or 4 locations.  Then based on zoning access go after the location with the greatest potential first.

    On google earth count the doors.  At the ends of the buildings as I posted above, count the ribs which are in 1 foot increments.  30 rib wide building is a 30 footer.  If you get serious about an are, then you drive it.  Need to understand customer traffic flow, neighbors, street access.

    Since you already own a location and know the market.  Do the same analysis on that market.  Determine the strength of your existing location.  The harder from a zoning, land availability and pricing it is to get a lot, the better the asset or location is.

    Tourism-  I would say no impact, to greater demand.  You don't have to have a hard answer.  Do the overall analysis.  Add buildings as needed and you get to know the market.  I looked at a market like Reno.  You have the town itself and nearby rec areas.  It had more inventory and demand than a normal town.

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 1 vote
    2y

    I’m doing the work of reading your posts Henry. I don’t really understand this formula or any of the stuff yet , but I’m writing down things. 

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Willie Mitchell:

    I’m doing the work of reading your posts Henry. I don’t really understand this formula or any of the stuff yet , but I’m writing down things. 

    Just keep building your knowledge. 
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    @Henry Clark other than just a normal google search of "population of x" town, is there a specific site you use? Latest data for a town i'm seeing is from 2022. 

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @ Zack Gill  That data should be fine.  Since you're in Texas, I'll use a town like:  Each town will be different based on the population living outside of town.  The closer to a large metroplex more people live outside of a small town.  Further out in Texas away from a large Metro area, very few people live outside of town.

    A.  Cleburne.  33,600 population in city limits.  Since it is close to the DFW metroplex, more people on the outskirts.  So, let's use a total population of 38,000 people.  Even if the data is from 2022 let's say, its good enough for planning.  at 6 units (10/15/20 deep) per 100 people.  38,000/100*6= 2,280 potential market size.  Then just google earth or drive thru the town and count the units and locations.  Let's say you count 1,500 units.  That leaves an additional market demand of 780 units. (making this up, you would need to do an inventory).

    B.  Joshua. 9,200 in town.  But closer to DFW than Cleburne and will have more people living outside city limits.  Let's say total market of 15,000.  Demand = 15,000/100*6= 900 potential.  Say you do a competitor inventory = 700.  Additional demand= 200.

    Based on a pure additional demand Cleburne looks like the better deal.  Both would be good locations if the above were true.  Other factors though may come into play though.  

    1.  Although the Joshua additional demand is smaller, it is closer to DFW, which means its rental rates will be higher.  Let's say they are $20 per unit higher than Cleburne, but the cost to build is the same.  Let's say you build 200 units at either location and costs are the same.  The Joshua location would be worth 200 units x 12 months x $20 more= $48,000 more profit.  At a 7% cap rate= $685,000 for the same amount of effort and risk.

    2.  Let's say the Joshua land cost $50,000 more per acre on 3 acres than the Cleburne.  Or $150,000 more.  I would still rather build there since per 1 above it would be worth $685,000 more.

    C.  Burleson- lets add in another town or market.  57,600.  Market = 57,600/100*6= 3,450 market potential.   Let's say you take an inventory in town and there are 4,000 units and they are 90% full.   Made up info for discussion only.  

    3.  Looking at all 3 cities, it looks like Burleson is the worst market to build in.  But, you do your reconnaissance and find out for whatever most of the storage locations are to the southwest part of town.  Most of the people live to the North of town towards the DFW market.  The rental rates are another $20 per unit higher than even Joshua since they are closer to DFW.  If I could buy the land to the North of Burleson closer to both the larger population and the DFW market, I would build in Burleson, even though they already have an oversupply of Storage units.  If I was to build a location with 200 units, versus the 4,000 that already exist at 90% full.  I would expect to be at 90% full myself or worst case 85% since it would be in a better location.  Again, at another $20 per unit higher it will be worth another $685,000 at 90% occupancy= $616,00 more value.  

    What I like about the above data analysis, is you can compare markets and deals verse each other.  You can manage your risk.  But also, since you're covering several markets, you're not forced to have to buy at extreme prices for land or wait for availability.  We cover 40 miles circumference in small town Iowa.  If you were in the market above near DFW, your opportunities would be huge.  

    This is really fun "Hunting" for both the market and the deal once you get started.  It's even more fun since you're not forced to do a deal, yet you can keep scaling.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    I completely understand your logic and on paper seems easy haha. Seems so much harder to actually execute. Just seems like there is a facility on every corner haha. 

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    Up posting this post.  Have a separate post I am referencing this post.  Hard for people to find using just the lookup function.  

    Self storage syndication post.  If you have a question just reference this post. 

  • New to Real Estate · Canton, GA · Member since 2020 · 29 posts · 16 votes
    1y

    What a great thread. @Henry Clark you and I chatted 2 years ago. I was not ready due to limited capital. I have now saved $200k (liquid) that is ready to be deployed. I am reading everything I can get my hands on that you have posted. Started working on the exercise above as well this morning. I just did my first town and the units available per headcount seems really low. Like too good to be true low. I live approx 60 miles north of Atlanta. When getting a total population count for a town, how big of an area do you limit your headcount to? For instance, my first town I researched was 30107. 30107 has 18k population. However there are a few other zip codes that are within 10-15 miles. When I add all of them together the total population is approximately 22k. Is 10-15 miles too big of an area when determining the unit count per person? Hope that makes sense. 

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Waylon Smith:

    What a great thread. @Henry Clark you and I chatted 2 years ago. I was not ready due to limited capital. I have now saved $200k (liquid) that is ready to be deployed. I am reading everything I can get my hands on that you have posted. Started working on the exercise above as well this morning. I just did my first town and the units available per headcount seems really low. Like too good to be true low. I live approx 60 miles north of Atlanta. When getting a total population count for a town, how big of an area do you limit your headcount to? For instance, my first town I researched was 30107. 30107 has 18k population. However there are a few other zip codes that are within 10-15 miles. When I add all of them together the total population is approximately 22k. Is 10-15 miles too big of an area when determining the unit count per person? Hope that makes sense. 

    In small towns it is the town plus any immediate rural population.  Example where I’m at.  Has 5,000 in town and 5,000 just outside of town.  Bedroom community. Sometimes you can get the school district population.

    Right now the cost to build is to high for C markets.   Say 10x 20 for $70 per month.   There is a profit but not worth the risk.  In a C market if zoning allowed I would do cargo containers since their price is really down. 


  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    If you’re doing surface parking your market will be up to 30 miles away.  

  • New to Real Estate · Canton, GA · Member since 2020 · 29 posts · 16 votes
    1y

    I know this is likely an ignorant question. What constitutes a "C" Market? I am familiar with class A, B, or C properties but not markets. @Henry Clark

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Waylon Smith:

    I know this is likely an ignorant question. What constitutes a "C" Market? I am familiar with class A, B, or C properties but not markets. @Henry Clark

    Using a 10x20.  C. $70 or less; B 100 or less.  A. $130 and more.   
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    @Henry Clark

    "In small towns it is the town plus any immediate rural population. Example where I’m at. Has 5,000 in town and 5,000 just outside of town. Bedroom community. Sometimes you can get the school district population."

    Just curious how many units are in that town? 

    B borderline A market, is the cost to build worth the risk atm? At 6 per 100 in my targetted town there's a ~75 unit shortage, similar 10k population. 


  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Zack Gill:

    @Henry Clark

    "In small towns it is the town plus any immediate rural population. Example where I’m at. Has 5,000 in town and 5,000 just outside of town. Bedroom community. Sometimes you can get the school district population."

    Just curious how many units are in that town? 

    B borderline A market, is the cost to build worth the risk atm? At 6 per 100 in my targetted town there's a ~75 unit shortage, similar 10k population. 



     Our town has the highest storage units per 100 I have found. Both my buddy and I have continued building here.  In a community of 10,000 we have a market for 600 units. There exist with 100% occupancy 1,900 units. Looking at our customer database mapping a lot of our customers come from 15 miles away in a larger town. 

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    OP
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Zack Gill:

    @Henry Clark

    "In small towns it is the town plus any immediate rural population. Example where I’m at. Has 5,000 in town and 5,000 just outside of town. Bedroom community. Sometimes you can get the school district population."

    Just curious how many units are in that town? 

    B borderline A market, is the cost to build worth the risk atm? At 6 per 100 in my targetted town there's a ~75 unit shortage, similar 10k population. 


    B to A market  it is worth building.  How close is your town to the next metro area?  Then test that area.  If they are under supplied then you will draw them. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.