• Developer
Votes |
Belize Teak Plantation

Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Posted Sep 30 2021, 11:13

Actually started this venture about 3 years ago.  I might get some activities out of time sequence.  Sit back and grab some popcorn.

I will chop this up into smaller segments, so each one isn't too long of a read and has a central theme.

Both Retiring and doing Self Storage, we hit the mark where we both had the funding and the time to invest overseas.  My wife has never had a specific place in mind, so got to do my choice.  Have always been interested in Aust, NZ, Brazil, India and Belize.  Have travelled to South Korea, Mexico, France, Canada, Maui and Italy. 

Decided on Belize.  Currency pegged $2BZD to $1USD (low inflation issues), Official language is English since it was a British Commonwealth, Property rights and laws are basically the same as the US since English based, 2nd/3rd world thus still Rough which I like (has flavor), 2 hour flight from Houston/Dallas connections, land is relatively inexpensive. These all play into the "type" of investment we wanted to do.

We are in Iowa where December thru March can be cold and windy.  Belize dry season (less humidity) is January thru May.  Great overlap.

Labor for a great skilled worker is about BZD $30 to $50 per day or USD $15 to $25.  Laborer is around USD $25 per day.  This is good pay for them.  Glad to have the work.  They also have an illegal migrant issue.  You could get workers for USD $3 per day to cut brush.

Local produce is relatively cheap.  Rock crab for USD $3 per pound.  Red Snapper, grouper, barracuda for USD $4 per pound.  Anything imported is really expensive.  Gas $10 per gallon.  Can of Spam might be $8.  Yep a Can of Spam can cost more than Rock Crab or Red Snapper.  I actually like Spam though.

Health care is both very inexpensive and for higher end issues, non-existent.  Most US prescription drugs can be bought over the counter from the Pharmacist.  Broken leg $50.  Cancer/heart need to fly home.

Over the course of this post will cover the following Real Estate angles.  Teak, buying property, building house, few buyers, real estate "fronts", preppers, as an Expat "you" will move back at some point, and "Yes" sometimes means "I don't know".

Below is Ramon, checking on Teak trees.  These are 11 months since transplanted, from about 10 inches tall.

Loading replies...