Help need in analysing accepted bid from HUD

Help need in analysing accepted bid from HUD

Real Estate Investor · singapore, Singapore · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 0 votes

Hey guys, i'll need a advise on whether or not to go ahead with this deal:

4bed/3baths, 5 Acre lot.

HUD Insured escrow & approves FHA finance. I assume condition of house is not that bad, i am not able to inspect the house personally.

I'm thinking of selling @ $70000

Tax Assessed value: $ 138,610

Similar Comps: $90-130k

This property is at a rural area & average days on market are much higher than 90 days.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1307-Drake-Rd-Elberton-GA-30635/105245506_zpid/

My question is what price would it be to be attractive for non-conventional loan buyers?

I Plan to use back-back closing & sell it within 30 days, or go for hardmoney lending for fix & flip.

Should i proceed with this deal or drop it?

Please advice, Thank you

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
12y

@Chris Martin if I understand @Yee Yonfai correctly, he is the one with the winning bid. He made the bid, presumably through some broker, HUD accepted and now he has to decide whether to get the EM and package back to HUD or not.

Can you even do a back to back close on a HUD? The only way I've seen HUDs wholesaled is by buying then property with an LLC and then selling the LLC. I thought they had some sort of restrictions on quickly reselling the property. But I long ago gave up on dealing with HUD, so perhaps I'm mis-remembering this.

Tax assessments are irrelevant to values. They're for generating taxes.

A range of $90K to $130K for comps is so wide as to be meaningless. Without a real value you have no idea what someone might pay.

The property looks in good shape, though it is missing flooring in some rooms. But when were those pictures taken? What does it really look like right now? For all your know, it could be trashed.

IMHO you have no data to make a decision. You don't know what its worth. You don't know what it will take to fix it up. So you have no choice but to let this drop.

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    how much are you buying it for and how much in repairs does it need

  • Real Estate Investor · singapore, Singapore · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    I'm buying it at 57k, according to the PCR it would take 500-1k to repair the plumming issue to be FHA standard.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    I'm trying to figure out why this property isn't on http://www.hudhomestore.com Are you sure it doesn't already have an accepted bid on it? Where I am, the listing often remains 'active' well beyond when HUD accepts a bid.

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2013 · 111 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    @Yee Yonfai

    From the pictures, it looks like it has no flooring other than linoleum in the kitchen. Best bet is to look for a contact or higher someone to do the walk-through for you. Get a second, more local opinion on the house to confirm necessary repairs.

  • Real Estate Investor · singapore, Singapore · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    @ Chris Martin From what I see is HUD removed the listing once bid is accepted.

    @Anthony Martin Since its a HUD deal, I have 2 business days to send Emd in, I am not positive in being to get a local opinion on ground. That's why I'm having a little headache over it.

    Thanks

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    If it isn't on the HUD home site, how are you going to bid on it? Zillow listings stay active well beyond when a HUD bid is accepted. Have you checked to make sure you can bid on it? Do you know the property case number (e.g. 101-708660)?

  • Real Estate Investor · singapore, Singapore · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    I bid on this property & is accepted & HUD takes down the listing. I can't find it in HUD website too. I can't find my other accepted bids on hud website as well

  • Real Estate Investor · singapore, Singapore · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Zillow doesn't update it to be pending unlike sites like movoto. http://www.movoto.com/elberton-ga/1307-drake-rd-elberton-ga-30635-421_7168335/

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    So... you're saying you have the winning bid? If so, your broker needs to submit your acceptance package to HUD via over night mail within 24 hours. Your broker should have forwarded to you the email from HUD detailing the requirements of the bid.... and your bid would be on the HUD site as an accepted bid.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Chris Martin I think he knows that he has to submit everything. He's trying to decide whether to go through with the deal before he sends his earnest money in and it becomes non refundable.

    Yee, are you saying you haven't seen the home and you are depending solely on huds PCR for repairs? Bad idea.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    The question is, how can you bid on a HUD property not listed? It's not on the 'bid accepted' list either. The fact that you can see the listing on Zillow and elsewhere leads me to believe HUD accepted a bid placed by some other broker.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Chris Martin he said HUD accepted his bid. Once HUD accepts a bid it is taken off hudhomestore

  • Real Estate Investor · singapore, Singapore · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    I apologize if I had been unclear. Yup I have the bid accepted by HUD. It is a bad choice to go ahead without seeing property, its like a gamble. Only 3 bidders including me on this one, although I feel price is resonable ...my gut reaction tells me to not go ahead. So therefore, I thought of asking BP. Thanks :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    12y

    @Chris Martin if I understand @Yee Yonfai correctly, he is the one with the winning bid. He made the bid, presumably through some broker, HUD accepted and now he has to decide whether to get the EM and package back to HUD or not.

    Can you even do a back to back close on a HUD? The only way I've seen HUDs wholesaled is by buying then property with an LLC and then selling the LLC. I thought they had some sort of restrictions on quickly reselling the property. But I long ago gave up on dealing with HUD, so perhaps I'm mis-remembering this.

    Tax assessments are irrelevant to values. They're for generating taxes.

    A range of $90K to $130K for comps is so wide as to be meaningless. Without a real value you have no idea what someone might pay.

    The property looks in good shape, though it is missing flooring in some rooms. But when were those pictures taken? What does it really look like right now? For all your know, it could be trashed.

    IMHO you have no data to make a decision. You don't know what its worth. You don't know what it will take to fix it up. So you have no choice but to let this drop.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Look under "Bid Results". It's not there. What is the property case number? Who is the broker? There are no winning bids at $57,000.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    $1000 Earnest Money buys you 30-45 days to evaluate the deal and/or find a end buyer

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Chris Martin bid results don't show up until the contract is signed by HUD after it is overnighted to them.

    @Jon Holdman HUD has no restrictions on quick closes. You can do a double close.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Chris Martin

    It would not be in bid results since it is not an accepted contract. Even some of the accepted bids never show up

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks for clarifying that.

    Nevertheless, you don't have enough data to make a decision, Yee.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Yee, do you trust your broker enough to inspect it for you and give an accurate ARV?

  • Real Estate Investor · singapore, Singapore · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the replies. I definitely agree with @Jon Holdman, I am giving up this parcel. I tried to find the best comps, however the area is too vast apart since its rural there too few property sold this year in the area. The only advantage i can think of this property have over other comps is the 2.4k sq ft & 5 acre lot. Lowest reasonable comparison is 90k, average Dom is a more than 3 months. What should I do to generate a more detailed data & make a conclusion, assuming repairs are low 5-10k?

  • Real Estate Broker · Toa Baja, PR · Member since 2013 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    The problem here is if you don't know the neighborhood and the property itself it could be a bad purchase. 2 months ago I won a bid in Puerto Rico for a 3/2 property for $8K in a market value of $80-$100K. Before I sent the contract package I asked a colleague to go to see the property for me and found out that the land had a very very bad cliff, the property was on a flood zone, more than 10 properties around were vandalized, septic tank was in code violation, property interior was completely in code violation, it was infested with the worst kind of termites, missing all electric and plumbing, etc. I asked to some potential buyers and they all told me that not even for free they will buy or live there and so I declined to buy it. My advice is go to see the property or send someone you trust to see it for you.

  • Real Estate Investor · singapore, Singapore · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    @Mark Ferguson , the area is takes too long for my broker to drive there & inspect

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Why are you bidding on HUD houses that you haven't viewed? I wish HUD would ban people from bidding who don't perform. I see this all the time where I get outbid on a house, only to see it come back on the market a few days later. It';s frustrating.

  • Real Estate Investor · singapore, Singapore · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    @ Daniel Vazquez , that definitely seems like a nightmare.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.