Fannie Mae Homepath property - sitting idle

Fannie Mae Homepath property - sitting idle

Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes

There is a property that I have been watching for the last six months.

Starting at 219K, it lowered it's price 209K, 199K, 189K, 179K, 169K, 159K in between it went under contract twice, then came back on the market.

When it came down to 159K I submitted an offer of 130K. The bank countered another offer, presumably a higher one.

Then the contract fell apart and after that the agent lowered it to 144K. I resubmitted my offer of 130K cash and the agent told me five days ago there is no other offer. The bank hasn't countered nor accepted my offer, just sitting idle.

OK now on to why the previous offers kept falling apart...the property has a 310K lien by the city - and this amount is growing every day by $300. Illegal structure and unpermitted driveway, both need to be removed. Once removed the city will accept 10% of the outstanding lien which as of today is 31K. So my offer is essentially 130K + 31K + removal cost + $30 per day between now and when it closes. Probably previous buyers didn't realize the liens until they get to their due diligence period then they freaked and backed out.

Now my question is, is it unusual for FNMA to sit on an offer and just ignore it? No counter no acceptance? Does it mean my offer is dead? I guess there is no way to expedite this? The longer they wait the more the lien at $300 a day.

0Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Boerne, TX · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 25 votes
12y
The big red flag to me here is the assumption that the local gov will accept 10% of the lien. Make sure you get that in writing.
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 456 posts · 237 votes
    12y

    @Sam Leon - I'm a little confused Sam on why you would even want to pursue this deal? For all of the headaches I'd want at last 2X in value. Here there really isn't any equity at all so what has you pursuing the deal? This one has been on the city radar FOREVER....more than a decade...it's going to cause you a ton of headaches for little return in MHO.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    12y

    @Andy Luick

    Because even with the correction costs, and mitigated liens factored in it still cash flow with a cushion. PLUS the previous owner WAY OVER IMPROVED.

    and I only buy from MLS listed property I don't have the access to direct marketing so I can't be expecting 2X value.

    Inspection is today, I have to run, I may have more to share tonight.

  • Real Estate Investor · atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 456 posts · 237 votes
    12y

    Here's the thing - Ft lauderdale is a huge market - no one else is pursuing this deal for a reason. I'm assuming that you are paying all cash for it so I guess that's why you are saying it will cashflow for you. Just make sure the returns are worth the headaches. The city and neighbors might be willing to do you some favors just because you are cleaning up an aged problem....or maybe not. Most of us here wouldn't bother to sniff this deal....let alone put the effort you have into it....I hope it works out well for you or maybe you'll get lucky and discover another deal killer in the inspection so you can walk away and save yourself the headaches! Keep us posted.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.