Is there a way to purchase a property prior to auction?

Is there a way to purchase a property prior to auction?

Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes

Here is the situation. Back in April I saw a property on MLS that I had previously driven by and had mentally made a note, that if it ever becomes available I would be interested in purchasing it and rent it out. When it came up I called my buyer agent and asked her to get me some info and set up an appt to see. Well she called back in 2 hours and said it's already pending first day on market and they are not taking any backup offers either. OK fine.

I was just randomly browsing the properties in that area and noticed it is now not on the market but it's scheduled for an auction on Sep 18, 2013.

I don't want to try to get it via auction, as I am not familiar with that process and don't want to take all the risks associated with that. So my options are to either wait for it to become REO and available...or may be someone else will buy it at auction. However, is it possible at this point, to see if a deal can be worked out as a short sale to prevent the foreclosure? Or more then likely the bank was being unreasonable and that's why it's got to this point?

Who would I contact to inquire of this possibility? The owner? The original listing agent?

0Reply
18 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    13y

    If you are talking about the court-house steps auction, they often get delayed. If I were you, I would contact my buyer's agent and have him/her contact the original listing agent and see if there are any options available.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    It's probably still listed, and may still be going through the short sale approval process. Buying at the auction isn't that scary once you know what to look out for, except the auction buyers now seem to be bidding retail though. Lenders generally won't start a new short process with less than a month before the scheduled auction.

  • Real Estate Investor · Belton, MO · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    13y

    great question. I have been wondering about this myself. Can anyone attach an article explaining buying from auctions and the risks involved.

    Eddie

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.