to buy or to wait?

to buy or to wait?

Wholesaler · usa · Member since 2021 · 222 posts · 67 votes

With so much speculation about the market and its direction, are you waiting on the sidelines, ready to pounce, or are you still pushing forward with conservative underwriting regardless of what the market does? 

0Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Providence, RI · Member since 2022 · 404 posts · 262 votes
3y

don't wait to buy real estate, buy real estate and wait : )

See this reply in the discussion

96 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    Real estate investors are taking advantage of the current market conditions, while those on the sidelines are missing out. Real investors know that now is an ideal time to buy and are actively seeking out excellent opportunities. Investing in real estate can be a smart move when market conditions are favorable, so don't miss this chance if you have the means to do so. Act with caution and thorough research, but don't let fear keep you from making potentially great investments!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    There are always deals worth buying.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nick Robinson:

    @Carlos Ptriawan
    I do not see how I am a headline narrative guy when I gave points why I think the mainstream narrative is wrong. Wish you the best flipping houses in the Bay Area. If you read my initial post it said I am being conservative making 5% return on UST waiting to see what happens in the next 6-12 months. Based on yield curves worldwide there is a high probability of lower economic activity and in my opinion is not the time to be risk-on. 

    In my opinion I do not see upward pressure on US housing prices. In the last 2 weeks there has been an 81bps increase in 30yr mortgages. Another big reason I am waiting is because I invest in apartments and there have been a lot of syndicators/operators that used bridge debt and very liberal underwriting standards. Which I assume will play out sometime this year.


    oooh Apartment is different animal. My suggestion if you invest as LP/GP you should *WAIT* to invest UNTIL The CPI number is flat enough. Most CRE is in trouble right now due to their floating rate.

    Investing and flipping is much better because the targeted high price is known and price pullback to 2018 level for few house, just live in that house until 2022 price is met.

    Actually we only listed the house for 3 days now and we already had received multiple bids, but this home is different, this home is fully rehab house with walking distance to top ten california school, so selling this home is very easy pitsy. 

    buyer is now looking for quality, we sell the house way above june 2022 price and we gotta bid

  • Rental Property Investor · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 344 votes
    3y

    @Jason Thompson

    I am not a syndicator I just now a lot of them that used bridge debt and ran very optimistic numbers. I would assume some sort of seller financing would be a great option. Biggest issue I see there is the term of the loan. I feel like I would want the longest term I can get with the ability to pay it back early if things move in my direction. The units I own right now are in PHX, AZ. I personally wouldn’t invest in CA just because there is too much political risk ie rent control, tenant friendly laws, etc. Then there is the big reason that the building doesn’t CF they way I want so to me isn’t worth it.

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Jason Thompson

    The short answer is that we do not know what will happen. If anyone is predicting the future let me know, I would love some winning lottery numbers!

    On a more serious note, there are a few things you can consider.

    1) Waiting – no one likes this answer but it’s a serious one to consider. We know that long term prices are very likely to rise but short term is anyone’s guess. Due to this the longer someone waits the more likely it was the wrong decision but waiting short term can have benefits and bring some peace of mind. If you find yourself extremely worried about the market or interest rates this may be the right choice for you. The key step here is to choose a date where you will evaluate looking again rather than waiting for the perfect time.

    2) Passively Active – During slower markets this can be one of the most successful strategies. The idea is to be prepared and ready to buy a home while scanning the market. If the right home doesn’t pop up for the right price you just keep looking. I generally suggest having a financing expert implement a rolling rate hold strategy for you as well. This can protect you from rising interest rates and give you the ability to choose to take action if rates rise. The goal here is to keep your choices open.

    3) Actively searching – It’s no secret that the real estate market has slowed down compared to six months ago. Buyers today are getting significantly better choices, lower prices and more options when compared to buyers seven months ago. Now is a time where you can negotiate with sellers and find exceptional deals. As a realtor it is extremely challenging to negotiate with a seller who has fifteen other offers, during slower markets I can really work with you to find an amazing opportunity.

    All the best!

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Jason Thompson

    I truly think it is always the right time to buy real estate, but not always the right time to sell.  Hold period is going to be much longer than it was a couple of years ago, which is fine for me. I also think there are going to be huge opportunities with seller financing, we've already closed one deal with seller financing and have an offer on another deal with it.

    Investors have been waiting for the market to peak, and then go into a correction. From the looks of it, is has peaked in many markets, and now is their time to invest. Funny though, those same investors are complaining about a recession. You can't have it both ways. You just need to learn how to buy right in any part of the market cycle.

    Gino 

  • Wholesaler · usa · Member since 2021 · 222 posts · 67 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jay Thomas:

    Real estate investors are taking advantage of the current market conditions, while those on the sidelines are missing out. Real investors know that now is an ideal time to buy and are actively seeking out excellent opportunities. Investing in real estate can be a smart move when market conditions are favorable, so don't miss this chance if you have the means to do so. Act with caution and thorough research, but don't let fear keep you from making potentially great investments!

    @Jay Thomas excellent post thanks Jay!

  • Wholesaler · usa · Member since 2021 · 222 posts · 67 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Nick Robinson:

    @Carlos Ptriawan
    I do not see how I am a headline narrative guy when I gave points why I think the mainstream narrative is wrong. Wish you the best flipping houses in the Bay Area. If you read my initial post it said I am being conservative making 5% return on UST waiting to see what happens in the next 6-12 months. Based on yield curves worldwide there is a high probability of lower economic activity and in my opinion is not the time to be risk-on. 

    In my opinion I do not see upward pressure on US housing prices. In the last 2 weeks there has been an 81bps increase in 30yr mortgages. Another big reason I am waiting is because I invest in apartments and there have been a lot of syndicators/operators that used bridge debt and very liberal underwriting standards. Which I assume will play out sometime this year.


    oooh Apartment is different animal. My suggestion if you invest as LP/GP you should *WAIT* to invest UNTIL The CPI number is flat enough. Most CRE is in trouble right now due to their floating rate.

    Investing and flipping is much better because the targeted high price is known and price pullback to 2018 level for few house, just live in that house until 2022 price is met.

    Actually we only listed the house for 3 days now and we already had received multiple bids, but this home is different, this home is fully rehab house with walking distance to top ten california school, so selling this home is very easy pitsy. 

    buyer is now looking for quality, we sell the house way above june 2022 price and we gotta bid

     @Carlos Ptriawan Congratulations Carlos, its sounds like you're in very comfortable and profitable niche, well done!

  • Wholesaler · usa · Member since 2021 · 222 posts · 67 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Drew Sygit:

    There are always deals worth buying.

     @Drew Sygit Agreed Drew!

  • Wholesaler · usa · Member since 2021 · 222 posts · 67 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nick Robinson:

    @Jason Thompson

    I am not a syndicator I just now a lot of them that used bridge debt and ran very optimistic numbers. I would assume some sort of seller financing would be a great option. Biggest issue I see there is the term of the loan. I feel like I would want the longest term I can get with the ability to pay it back early if things move in my direction. The units I own right now are in PHX, AZ. I personally wouldn’t invest in CA just because there is too much political risk ie rent control, tenant friendly laws, etc. Then there is the big reason that the building doesn’t CF they way I want so to me isn’t worth it.

     @Nick Robinson Phoenix is a great market to be in Nick, I wish you nothing but success my friend!

  • Wholesaler · usa · Member since 2021 · 222 posts · 67 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Wale Lawal:

    @Jason Thompson

    The short answer is that we do not know what will happen. If anyone is predicting the future let me know, I would love some winning lottery numbers!

    On a more serious note, there are a few things you can consider.

    1) Waiting – no one likes this answer but it’s a serious one to consider. We know that long term prices are very likely to rise but short term is anyone’s guess. Due to this the longer someone waits the more likely it was the wrong decision but waiting short term can have benefits and bring some peace of mind. If you find yourself extremely worried about the market or interest rates this may be the right choice for you. The key step here is to choose a date where you will evaluate looking again rather than waiting for the perfect time.

    2) Passively Active – During slower markets this can be one of the most successful strategies. The idea is to be prepared and ready to buy a home while scanning the market. If the right home doesn’t pop up for the right price you just keep looking. I generally suggest having a financing expert implement a rolling rate hold strategy for you as well. This can protect you from rising interest rates and give you the ability to choose to take action if rates rise. The goal here is to keep your choices open.

    3) Actively searching – It’s no secret that the real estate market has slowed down compared to six months ago. Buyers today are getting significantly better choices, lower prices and more options when compared to buyers seven months ago. Now is a time where you can negotiate with sellers and find exceptional deals. As a realtor it is extremely challenging to negotiate with a seller who has fifteen other offers, during slower markets I can really work with you to find an amazing opportunity.

    All the best!

     @Wale Lawal Excellent advice Wale, I couldn't agree more! Thank you for taking the time to contribute such an informative post!

  • Wholesaler · usa · Member since 2021 · 222 posts · 67 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Gino Barbaro:

    @Jason Thompson

    I truly think it is always the right time to buy real estate, but not always the right time to sell.  Hold period is going to be much longer than it was a couple of years ago, which is fine for me. I also think there are going to be huge opportunities with seller financing, we've already closed one deal with seller financing and have an offer on another deal with it.

    Investors have been waiting for the market to peak, and then go into a correction. From the looks of it, is has peaked in many markets, and now is their time to invest. Funny though, those same investors are complaining about a recession. You can't have it both ways. You just need to learn how to buy right in any part of the market cycle.

    Gino 

     @Gino Barbaro this is an excellent post Gino, you're right we need to be savvy enough to make moves in the market no matter what current conditions we are in, the more we do the more we learn and the better off we will become as investors. Have a great day Gino. 

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jason Thompson:
    Quote from @Wale Lawal:

    @Jason Thompson

    The short answer is that we do not know what will happen. If anyone is predicting the future let me know, I would love some winning lottery numbers!

    On a more serious note, there are a few things you can consider.

    1) Waiting – no one likes this answer but it’s a serious one to consider. We know that long term prices are very likely to rise but short term is anyone’s guess. Due to this the longer someone waits the more likely it was the wrong decision but waiting short term can have benefits and bring some peace of mind. If you find yourself extremely worried about the market or interest rates this may be the right choice for you. The key step here is to choose a date where you will evaluate looking again rather than waiting for the perfect time.

    2) Passively Active – During slower markets this can be one of the most successful strategies. The idea is to be prepared and ready to buy a home while scanning the market. If the right home doesn’t pop up for the right price you just keep looking. I generally suggest having a financing expert implement a rolling rate hold strategy for you as well. This can protect you from rising interest rates and give you the ability to choose to take action if rates rise. The goal here is to keep your choices open.

    3) Actively searching – It’s no secret that the real estate market has slowed down compared to six months ago. Buyers today are getting significantly better choices, lower prices and more options when compared to buyers seven months ago. Now is a time where you can negotiate with sellers and find exceptional deals. As a realtor it is extremely challenging to negotiate with a seller who has fifteen other offers, during slower markets I can really work with you to find an amazing opportunity.

    All the best!

     @Wale Lawal Excellent advice Wale, I couldn't agree more! Thank you for taking the time to contribute such an informative post!


     Most Welcome!

    Get in touch with a local agent or investor and shorten your learning curve and save you a lot of headaches as they tend to understand the market better.

    Keep learning and sharing.

    All the best!

  • Wholesaler · usa · Member since 2021 · 222 posts · 67 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jay Thomas:

    Real estate investors are taking advantage of the current market conditions, while those on the sidelines are missing out. Real investors know that now is an ideal time to buy and are actively seeking out excellent opportunities. Investing in real estate can be a smart move when market conditions are favorable, so don't miss this chance if you have the means to do so. Act with caution and thorough research, but don't let fear keep you from making potentially great investments!

     @Jay Thomas Excellent perspective Jay. No decision is still a decision and in most cases it is the things we did not do in life that we regret most than the things we did. Thank you for your contribution, and I hope you're having a great week. 

  • Wholesaler · usa · Member since 2021 · 222 posts · 67 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Wale Lawal:
    Quote from @Jason Thompson:
    Quote from @Wale Lawal:

    @Jason Thompson

    The short answer is that we do not know what will happen. If anyone is predicting the future let me know, I would love some winning lottery numbers!

    On a more serious note, there are a few things you can consider.

    1) Waiting – no one likes this answer but it’s a serious one to consider. We know that long term prices are very likely to rise but short term is anyone’s guess. Due to this the longer someone waits the more likely it was the wrong decision but waiting short term can have benefits and bring some peace of mind. If you find yourself extremely worried about the market or interest rates this may be the right choice for you. The key step here is to choose a date where you will evaluate looking again rather than waiting for the perfect time.

    2) Passively Active – During slower markets this can be one of the most successful strategies. The idea is to be prepared and ready to buy a home while scanning the market. If the right home doesn’t pop up for the right price you just keep looking. I generally suggest having a financing expert implement a rolling rate hold strategy for you as well. This can protect you from rising interest rates and give you the ability to choose to take action if rates rise. The goal here is to keep your choices open.

    3) Actively searching – It’s no secret that the real estate market has slowed down compared to six months ago. Buyers today are getting significantly better choices, lower prices and more options when compared to buyers seven months ago. Now is a time where you can negotiate with sellers and find exceptional deals. As a realtor it is extremely challenging to negotiate with a seller who has fifteen other offers, during slower markets I can really work with you to find an amazing opportunity.

    All the best!

     @Wale Lawal Excellent advice Wale, I couldn't agree more! Thank you for taking the time to contribute such an informative post!


     Most Welcome!

    Get in touch with a local agent or investor and shorten your learning curve and save you a lot of headaches as they tend to understand the market better.

    Keep learning and sharing.

    All the best!

     @Wale Lawal Thanks Wale, have a great day. 

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I wouldn't play the waiting game. If the numbers make sense, BUY IT!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 411 posts · 148 votes
    3y

    @Jason Thompson to go from 46 to 125 units; 5 rooming houses and 1 assisted living facility

    100k wholesale transactions

  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2022 · 587 posts · 298 votes
    3y

    Hi Jason-

    Would love to discuss real estate with you and connect.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2020 · 60 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    I have been looking for a sfam fixer upper to buy, rehab and rent out for cf for 2 years in North Jersey. When I find one, I make a full price offer and everytime get beat out buy someone else, usually a fix and flip person. At least I have two deals that I bought in 2019, early 2020 for a good price. The market is not good for buy and hold investors like myself. Fix and flip making a quick buck is I guess what most people are looking for.

  • Lender · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2020 · 102 posts · 43 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mark Berge:

    I have been looking for a sfam fixer upper to buy, rehab and rent out for cf for 2 years in North Jersey. When I find one, I make a full price offer and everytime get beat out buy someone else, usually a fix and flip person. At least I have two deals that I bought in 2019, early 2020 for a good price. The market is not good for buy and hold investors like myself. Fix and flip making a quick buck is I guess what most people are looking for.


    I disagree that buy/hold isn't working now in Northern NJ. My peers and I have closed on rehab rental properties in Northern NJ. The challenge I see now on the mortgage side (before I became licensed and now) is borrowers getting beat out by cash offers. 

    I remember submitting 8 offers and losing each one when I tried to buy my first property. It was discouraging to say the least. Yet that's when I Iearned a fast offer can beat a cash offer, and then I finally closed a deal on my 9th attempt.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2020 · 60 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    I don't know if you've heard of cascade financial? I made an offer over asking on a sfam reo and the other buyer a llc got it because my agent had

    been sick so she couldn't show it to me. I knew it would go quick. Sure enough they took their offer. For some reason I don't know if they got clear title. Cascade financial isn't like us bank, etc. They are a small firm, they didn't even do a clean out of that reo like most banks do. When I look at the county clerks site public records, anyway I'm not an attorney who would do the title work. Being able to close quick on a good deal is always a plus, still need to do inspections, tank sweep and title work though.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.