Out of state RE Investing

Out of state RE Investing

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 4 votes

Hi everyone. I'm a NYC local interested in out of state long-term multi-family rentals. I'd like to connect with someone who has recently started investing in out-of-state rentals to talk about strategies and how they went about building a team among other things. Bonus points if you're from NYC as well.

Thanks for the help!

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Gino BarbaroPro Member
Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

@Elias Kaplan

When I was living in Westchester, I had the same problem. I started investing in Rochester, NY, about an hour flight from where I lived. I learned a ton, from underwriting to working with third party property management.

Luckily, I partnered with someone who moved to Knoxville. He was the boots on the ground and I had the experience. We eventually grew the portfolio to where he manages day to day, and I am running our other business.

I would attend as many meetups and events as possible, to possibly meet others who you can partner with in out of state markets.

We have a ton of members who are from the city, and have found partners and markets to invest in out of NY

Good luck

Gino

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Building a team comes with knowing exactly what to look for. You know this by having worked with rock stars in the past. Be patient and do not commit to anyone prematurely.

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Elias Kaplan

    When I was living in Westchester, I had the same problem. I started investing in Rochester, NY, about an hour flight from where I lived. I learned a ton, from underwriting to working with third party property management.

    Luckily, I partnered with someone who moved to Knoxville. He was the boots on the ground and I had the experience. We eventually grew the portfolio to where he manages day to day, and I am running our other business.

    I would attend as many meetups and events as possible, to possibly meet others who you can partner with in out of state markets.

    We have a ton of members who are from the city, and have found partners and markets to invest in out of NY

    Good luck

    Gino

  • Investor · Cleveland · Member since 2021 · 247 posts · 240 votes
    3y

    Elias, just sent you a message. Let me know if I can help!

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 499 posts · 169 votes
    3y

    @Gino Barbaro love your story and thanks for coming on our show- Real estate power play podcast 

    @Elias Kaplan I am full time investor in Rochester--let me know if you have any specific questions on our market or Upstate NY

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Martin Grizzanti

    MIH!! Let me know if we can help in any way

    Gino

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    I’m located in NYC and looking to continue my momentum to building a large portfolio starting this year. 
    Let me know if you want to discuss.

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Elias Kaplan
    First, you would need to decide on a market that you are interested in. Then find an investor-friendly agent in that market that can provide feedback on great areas for cash flow (or whatever your investment strategy is) and some referrals to help build your team like a local lender, PM, and contractor. 

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    3y

    @Elias Kaplan

    Hi! I sold a property in Cincinnati to a guy from Texas and it was fairly simple to be honest. Shoot me a DM and we can talk about it more

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta and Cincinnati · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Elias Kaplan:

    Hi everyone. I'm a NYC local interested in out of state long-term multi-family rentals. I'd like to connect with someone who has recently started investing in out-of-state rentals to talk about strategies and how they went about building a team among other things. Bonus points if you're from NYC as well.

    Thanks for the help!


    Hello, Elias. I know an investor who I had connected with via social media who has properties in Cincinnati. I found an agent online (after working through a couple that didn't work out) who understood what I was looking for, and the investor connected me with a property manager. That PM's company also does renovations up to a point and will find people beyond that. I think the best detail is to be as specific as possible; the agent knows what I'm looking for and we don't waste each other's time with other properties; the PM has had to learn what I want in renovating the properties and is now better prepared for my next one. Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.