Septic Tank - Need thoughts on purchasing a property with 2 septic tanks

Septic Tank - Need thoughts on purchasing a property with 2 septic tanks

Member since 2022 · 119 posts · 52 votes

I am looking to purchase a property which has 2 septic tanks. Can anyone here share their experience with purchasing a property with septic tanks? I will buy and hold for 5 plus years but I am concerned about resale. The property is in los angeles 

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y

Septic tanks are easily repaired compared to the drain fields.  I would not touch it with verifying the septic permit, and inspection of the system, including the drain field.  Then, ensure your tenants understand nothing goes down the drain except water, human waste and toilet paper. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    I have a rental that is on septic.  Have it properly inspected.  When I did, the seller paid to have it pumped out and I paid for the inspection.  Turned out it needed to be replaced, so the seller paid for that as well.

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Amby Bhagtani:

    I am looking to purchase a property which has 2 septic tanks. Can anyone here share their experience with purchasing a property with septic tanks? I will buy and hold for 5 plus years but I am concerned about resale. The property is in los angeles 

    1st check and see if the street is slated to be connected to city sewer. That gets really expensive, like $20,000 is the quote I got on one 15 years ago. I don't have a clue what it would be in your situation and it could be mandatory. I'd check that one out for sure.

    Then find out the last time they were pumped. If you have them pumped and they get flagged, it will cost quite a bit to correct the problem. Have a septic inspection done before closing.

    Septic pipes tend to clog when too much toilet paper or other things are flushed down the toilet. One of my rentals had a septic, their kids put a role of toilet paper, sheet by sheet, down the toilet until it clogged. They had a fun time flusing, but it was a big mess.
  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Septic tanks are easily repaired compared to the drain fields.  I would not touch it with verifying the septic permit, and inspection of the system, including the drain field.  Then, ensure your tenants understand nothing goes down the drain except water, human waste and toilet paper. 

  • Member since 2022 · 119 posts · 52 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Amby Bhagtani:

    I am looking to purchase a property which has 2 septic tanks. Can anyone here share their experience with purchasing a property with septic tanks? I will buy and hold for 5 plus years but I am concerned about resale. The property is in los angeles 

    1st check and see if the street is slated to be connected to city sewer. That gets really expensive, like $20,000 is the quote I got on one 15 years ago. I don't have a clue what it would be in your situation and it could be mandatory. I'd check that one out for sure.

    Then find out the last time they were pumped. If you have them pumped and they get flagged, it will cost quite a bit to correct the problem. Have a septic inspection done before closing.

    Septic pipes tend to clog when too much toilet paper or other things are flushed down the toilet. One of my rentals had a septic, their kids put a role of toilet paper, sheet by sheet, down the toilet until it clogged. They had a fun time flusing, but it was a big mess.

    Thank you for this. On the last one - when the septic was clogged, what did you have to do to repair it? Did you have to flush the septic?  

  • Investor · Member since 2023 · 35 posts · 29 votes
    3y

    It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me, but I would pay a few extra bucks to have an engineer review the original plans and give you a report on the septic system. Don’t rely on just the normal home inspector to give you a thumbs up. There are some very simple septic systems with an iron tank and basic leach field and there are some very expensive systems. Location, soils, regulation, etc all play a roll in what you have or need. It could cost 10k or over 100k to replace a tank and install new field depending on what you have and are allowed to do for a replacement. 

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Amby Bhagtani:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Amby Bhagtani:

    I am looking to purchase a property which has 2 septic tanks. Can anyone here share their experience with purchasing a property with septic tanks? I will buy and hold for 5 plus years but I am concerned about resale. The property is in los angeles 

    1st check and see if the street is slated to be connected to city sewer. That gets really expensive, like $20,000 is the quote I got on one 15 years ago. I don't have a clue what it would be in your situation and it could be mandatory. I'd check that one out for sure.

    Then find out the last time they were pumped. If you have them pumped and they get flagged, it will cost quite a bit to correct the problem. Have a septic inspection done before closing.

    Septic pipes tend to clog when too much toilet paper or other things are flushed down the toilet. One of my rentals had a septic, their kids put a role of toilet paper, sheet by sheet, down the toilet until it clogged. They had a fun time flusing, but it was a big mess.

    Thank you for this. On the last one - when the septic was clogged, what did you have to do to repair it? Did you have to flush the septic?  

    In that situation I had a second drain field dug and we flushed the system. They were using a lot of water doing who knows what and the old septic and drain field just couldn't handle the flow & the fact that they had a lot of kids. I grew up with a septic and a lot of kids (brothers) so I was very understanding.
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Amby Bhagtani

    Grew up with septic and lived most of life on one

    Get it inspected, get it cleaned out every year and read up on them.

    Nothing wrong with them just an added maintenance cost

    Also understand how old existing system is to get an idea if it may need to be replaced

    Replacement is expensive

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.