Building a Duplex: Contractor just told me he plans on using mini splits..Any issues?

Building a Duplex: Contractor just told me he plans on using mini splits..Any issues?

Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 14 votes

I'm under construction on my first duplex. I chose a local builder who has been building a lot of modern homes in the area that looked appealing to me (why I chose him). We spent time designing the duplexes together and overall I was excited about the project...that is until he called me yesterday and notified me they're planning on using mini split systems in the units. This was never talked about and I certainly never agreed to it. The plans have a central HVAC on it as does the contract.

I think he messed up with the design and is trying to figure out a solution to the problem. My guess is that they messed up on the engineering and didn't account for enough space in the attic for AC ducts. He's trying to pitch these mini splits to me as being more efficient and better overall. However in my opinion they look terrible and will effect resale value. Here's a link to the duplex design for reference: https://imgur.com/a/T5rX07D

In our area you rarely see mini splits unless they're in an ADU. I'm pretty bummed at the idea of having these obtrusive wall units in every room as it will take away from the clean modern design we were looking for. Alternatively he said he could switch it to a central HVAC system but would need to have the ducts exposed or he can drywall around them...this would also look funny because it would essentially be an 18" drop down in the ceiling (going down the hallway).

Does anyone have opinions on mini splits? From what I read they're somewhat more efficient but also more expensive to maintain. My biggest concern is how they look aesthetically as this was going to be a STR (or for sale). We live in Florida and it's hot almost all year which means these units will be running 24/7/365

I'm having a meeting with the builder this week to discuss our options. I'm upset this was never discussed up until this point because I would have never agreed to either option he's providing. He made it clear that there would be up charges for any change orders I made...what about a decrease in price for any change orders he makes?

How would you handle this situation? We're still uncertain if we're going to use these as STR, LTR, or sell.

By the way, these weren't cheap to build. If I were getting a killer deal then I wouldn't care as much but we aren't. It's roughly $200 a square foot to build...



0Reply
182 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
3y

Mini-splits are a huge plus.....and much more expensive. Take them and run.......

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Missouri and Az · Member since 2023 · 27 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    There aren’t many downsides to mini splits. Higher sear ratings, less electricity usage, extremely quite compressors. I would use them in every build I do except they don’t scale very well for builds with more than 3-4 rooms. 
    Like Bruce mentioned, just make certain your getting a quality product. 

  • Matthew DrouinPro Member
    Developer · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 406 posts · 339 votes
    3y

    @Kevin Howard $200 a square foot?  Well, you are already ahead of the game!  We are running $250 to $300 a sqft in our market currently so therefore there is not much being built because the market can't support it without PILOTs (property tax breaks)

    I've used mini splits on several projects where ducted solutions were not possible.  In regard to what you are going through right now, this is what happens when you do a design build project.  Architect puts plans together for building permit and then your contractor or subs design their leg of the project.  I always run into issues like this when I'm doing design build versus having a engineering firm put together full MEPs (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing designs)


    Don't expect your contractor to know engineering.  Expect design on the fly.


    Some alternative solutions to your room count issue would be ducted mini splits where the air handler box can be installed in an attic or more ideally a small mechanical closet and duct out from there.  If you have a bathroom that separates two bedrooms, you might be able to take some space from a bathroom or linen closet and duct directly into the areas that need conditioning and then use a standard wall mounted mini split in the third bedroom if you have space issues ducting though attic space.

    You could also use package units or V-Tacs.  These are still ducted but need to be installed on an outside wall to circulate air in from outside.

    If you do use a ducted system, make sure that the air handler is not installed in an attic.  This makes it very difficult to service and do routine filter replacements and cleanings.

    The bottom line is this.  You need to think two to three steps in front of your contractor.  Contractors tend to think of what is directly in front of them.

    Hope this helps!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.