Seeking Advice on Next Steps for My Real Estate Focus

Seeking Advice on Next Steps for My Real Estate Focus

Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes

Hi BP Nation!

I currently have 20+ units that serve short-term, mid-term, and long-term rentals. As I look ahead to the next 5 to 10 years, I’m at a crossroads and could really use some advice from this knowledgeable community.

I have two potential paths I’m considering:

1. Continue Focusing on Short-Term Rentals (STR):

• My plan is to shift towards mid- to high-end vacation rentals with unique characteristics. I’ve been successful with Airbnbs and love the creative aspect of designing unique and appealing spaces. However, the saturation of the market seems to worry me a little. Also, trying to have a hands-free airbnb business seems to be especially hard. 

2. Team Up with Experienced Apartment Syndicators:

• This option involves partnering with a small group of experienced apartment syndicators to focus on acquiring and managing apartment buildings. The scale of economy in this route is very appealing and offers a different kind of stability and growth potential.

I’m equally interested in both options. On one hand, Airbnb allows me to leverage my passion for unique design. On the other hand, apartment syndication offers substantial economies of scale, which seems to be a common transition for many real estate investors, as I’ve heard on numerous podcasts.

I would love to hear your thoughts on which route you think I should pursue and why. Any insights, experiences, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Lee

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Justin BrickmanBusiness Member
Realtor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 502 posts · 274 votes
2y

I would go with option 1. But there are many different personal factors that you would want to consider, which may make it difficult to get helpful answers on here

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Justin BrickmanBusiness Member
    Realtor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 502 posts · 274 votes
    2y

    I would go with option 1. But there are many different personal factors that you would want to consider, which may make it difficult to get helpful answers on here

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Justin Brickman:

    I would go with option 1. But there are many different personal factors that you would want to consider, which may make it difficult to get helpful answers on here


    Justin,

    Thank you for the inputs! I wonder what other major factors you would consider if you were me? Obviously, everyone will have a different answer here, but I would like to hear your (and everyone's) thoughts on important factors and thought processes.

    Thanks,

    Lee

  • Brandon VukelichBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA: 🏢 27 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 456 votes
    2y

    Those are two very different paths. Not sure why you would want to shift at all. Sounds like you have found a lane that works and is growing. Stick with what has been successful for you and is enjoyable. It's too difficult to give much input without knowing your capacity to manage more, what's your end goal, etc.

    I own STR/MTR and LTR properties. I'm not interested in growing many more STR/MTR. Those operate more like a hospitality business than a rental business. Plus as we all know, more cities all over are pushing for more regulations & limits. But if you love them, keep moving forward. Best wishes on your journey!

    Broker at Multifamily Properties519 Reviews
  • Real Estate Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 283 posts · 81 votes
    2y

    Why not do both?  You have created a business that appears to be successful.  You can do that while also diversifying into apartment syndication.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes
    2y

    @Prashant P. @Brandon Vukelich

    I'm glad I asked! I should keep my current Airbnb portfolio while expanding into apartment syndication with a team. This will diversify risks and allow me to learn about the economy of scale in apartment syndications first hand. Thank you all for the insights.

    @Brandon Vukelich: I totally agree: STRs provide the cash flow I need, but policy risks and market saturation make me want to diversify. Scaling up STRs, where many small things can go wrong and no one will care about your house as you do, is also quite challenging.

    Thanks again!
    Lee

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Leon Lee

    Ultimately, you should do what you feel passion for.  I would consider doing both. Take the profits from the AirBnb and roll them into apartments.

    Apartments may take longer to create equity, but I'd rather do one 50 unit deal than several smaller deals. And I don't think there is a hands free Airbnb business out there. There is no hands free businesses out there period.

    There are some differences between both niches, not many, but some very important ones. Financing and deal flow are two key differences!

    You've got a great problem on your hands!

    Gino

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Gino Barbaro:

    @Leon Lee

    Ultimately, you should do what you feel passion for.  I would consider doing both. Take the profits from the AirBnb and roll them into apartments.

    Apartments may take longer to create equity, but I'd rather do one 50 unit deal than several smaller deals. And I don't think there is a hands free Airbnb business out there. There is no hands free businesses out there period.

    There are some differences between both niches, not many, but some very important ones. Financing and deal flow are two key differences!

    You've got a great problem on your hands!

    Gino

    Gino

    Thank you for your inputs! They make a lot of sense. I have decided to do both. I enjoy visuals and management, which got me started on Airbnb. I'm fascinated by the economy of scale and OPM in apartment syndication, but I never had the opportunity to learn firsthand. Another reason is that I see both niches as means to serve my true passion in life.

    Thanks again
    Lee

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Leon Lee

    Follow your passion, even if it doesn't make sense at first. But make sure you learn how to monetize and build a business around it

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.