Hi everyone, I am looking to improve my knowledge about multifamily investing (specifically syndications or pooled funds). I have read and watched a lot about it so I have surface understanding of how it works, but I feel that I do not really know much about details like tax implications , among other things that could influence my decision to start investing. Are there any resources (books, etc) you recommend to learn more in depth about this topic? Any contacts I can reach out to? I know BP has books on multifamily investing , but I wasn't sure if it was specific to syndications or buying properties on your own. I feel like I need to talk someone who is investing in multifamily rather than a tax professional or financial advisor. Appreciate your help.
Real Estate Consultant · FL · Member since 2024 · 32 posts · 18 votes
2y
Hi Zaid! Great question. There is a Multifamily Market Analysis & Investment Webinar coming up July 26th at 4 p.m. ET. I'd be happy to send you the registration link! Just let me know if you're interested and I'll shoot it over to you.
I'm a District Manager with Build 2 Rent and licensed Realtor. I specialize in bridging the gap between national & international investors and builders...basically, providing a turn-key process for identifying, purchasing, & managing cash-flowing properties. Feel free to connect with me if I can help with anything! I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can.
Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
@Zaid Mahmood - All good questions! I've invested multifamily as a LP and GP/syndicator and happy to provide some resources. The book on Advances Tax Strategies by Amanda Han and Matthew Macfarland is a great book to understand the tax implications associated iwth investing in real estate syndications. I also really like the Hands Off Investor by Brian Burke, that gives you a great understanding of what to look for as a LP. Additionally, the multifamily millionairre volume 2 by Brian Burke gives you good insight into the large multifamily purchasing process, the associated due diligence and underwriting.
I know many others looking to get into the game join communities like Jake and Gino and other syndication groups. I personally learned it by finding a local mentor, joining as a LP, learning the ropes and eventually graduating to the GP role. Hope this helps!
Investor · Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 629 votes
2y
Some additional books not mentioned include, The Best Ever Apartment Syndication Book, Passive Income Made Simple, and many others. There are many virtual meetups that happen every day of the week to network with other operators and investors to ask questions and learn from presentations. There are also some affordable monthly educational subscriptions you can consider before paying tens of thousands for a coaching program. I'll be happy to share any of those resources with you if interested. Just send me a DM with your email address.
But also ask yourself, why do you want to be a GP in a syndication? You may be perfectly fine just investing as an LP investor and not add more time and stress to your life as a GP.
I agree with all the comments above. Although this isn't a material to study, another thing to think about before you become a GP is building a track record, if you haven't done so already. If you put yourself in an LP’s position—they’ll likely want to see your experience and past successes before investing their money.