Sell at a loss or rent at a loss

Sell at a loss or rent at a loss

Real Estate Agent · DE · Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 6 votes

At the end of 2023 I purchased an old 4plex out of state (MD) for $180k (it appraised for this amount), 20% down with 7.99% rate, mortgage is $1364 with piti. Its in a lower-income area where the current rents are $400, $650, and $800 (vacant could rent for $600). On paper it made sense, but in reality its been a nightmare. I have cash flowed negative almost every month. The inspection report did not mention many of the expensive repairs I'm facing.

For one, one of the units cannot even be rented until I spend at least $10k getting the electric up to code, among other repairs, so its been sitting vacant. I have a property manager, but my checks are only a few hundred a month if I'm lucky after all the fees and expenses. I have shopped around for a different PM but there are almost no other options in the area. It seems like there's an issue at least once a month that I must pay for, on top of trying to budget to fix several leaks (roof included), radiator not working, no shower in one unit, etc. I highly doubt this house will sell for the $180k I paid, let alone more than that.

Comps in the area go for $60k-$160k at most now, and they all sit on the market for 180+ days. If I'm even able to find a buyer, I will more than likely lose every penny I put into it and probably have to pay. If I decide to do the repairs and continue renting it, I will cash flow positive a bit, but to get to that point I would have to spend thousands (replace entire electric system, roof replacement, etc). I have two local rentals that cash flow nicely, but all that profit is thrown towards this house so I'm completely negative. 

This was my first property that I purchased solely as an investment, and I'm realizing I did not do my due diligence. I hate the idea of losing over $60k (took HELOC from my paid-off primary) in which I'm paying for each month, but I'm terrified of all these expenses completely draining me. I thought about doing a 1031 for something local but I wouldn't make enough for the 20% down payment. Any advice would be appreciated.

4Reply
341 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
1y

@Lexi Blocksom suggest you discuss in detail with @Russell Brazil

You've made a mistake thousands of naive investors have made - expecting Class A results from Class C & D properties:( 

In general, you'd want to compare what you can sell the property for now versus what it would cost to update it and what you could then sell it for. Two concerns:

1) How much of the repair investment would you get back?
2) How fast would it sell if repairs made vs not made?
- it's tough factoring in carrying costs as they're a "guess". But, they can drastically alter the numbers.

What type of pre-purchase inspection did you have done? How did they miss the electrical & roof issues - or did you just not understand the inspection report?

You may want to have another inspection done to evaluate the plumbing and heating systems as well as having the sewer camera'd. You want to know of any & all problems before spending any additional funds on the property!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Lancaster · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    I would recommend pursuing some sort of rehab financing to fix the property up and maximize rent asap. If the property is close enough, you can also forego the property management and handle it yourself in the short term. 

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 355 posts · 268 votes
    1y

    Sorry to hear about the investment going sideways and credit to you for sharing your experience on here. Without knowing specific financials, I would say cut your losses and sell. Think of it as the least expensive and most practical college degree you've ever got.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Lexi Blocksom suggest you discuss in detail with @Russell Brazil

    You've made a mistake thousands of naive investors have made - expecting Class A results from Class C & D properties:( 

    In general, you'd want to compare what you can sell the property for now versus what it would cost to update it and what you could then sell it for. Two concerns:

    1) How much of the repair investment would you get back?
    2) How fast would it sell if repairs made vs not made?
    - it's tough factoring in carrying costs as they're a "guess". But, they can drastically alter the numbers.

    What type of pre-purchase inspection did you have done? How did they miss the electrical & roof issues - or did you just not understand the inspection report?

    You may want to have another inspection done to evaluate the plumbing and heating systems as well as having the sewer camera'd. You want to know of any & all problems before spending any additional funds on the property!

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Drew Sygit:

    @Lexi Blocksom suggest you discuss in detail with

    You've made a mistake thousands of naive investors have made - expecting Class A results from Class C & D properties:( 

    In general, you'd want to compare what you can sell the property for now versus what it would cost to update it and what you could then sell it for. Two concerns:

    1) How much of the repair investment would you get back?
    2) How fast would it sell if repairs made vs not made?
    - it's tough factoring in carrying costs as they're a "guess". But, they can drastically alter the numbers.

    What type of pre-purchase inspection did you have done? How did they miss the electrical & roof issues - or did you just not understand the inspection report?

    You may want to have another inspection done to evaluate the plumbing and heating systems as well as having the sewer camera'd. You want to know of any & all problems before spending any additional funds on the property!

     Thanks for the tag @Drew Sygit. 

    A 4 plex in MD at $180k...its certainly not in the DC area, and probably not even the Baltimore area at that price. I suspect maybe something like Hagerstown or Cumberland, which yeah are Class D like markets with declining populations, high drug problems, no strong job base which leads to non paying tenants. Extremely old and not well taken care of housing stock. 

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Lexi Blocksom If the burden of holding the property outweighs the long-term gains, a 1031 exchange allows you to defer all taxes, and you won’t have to recapture depreciation.

    This option enables you to use the deferred tax benefits to purchase nicer properties in areas with greater growth potential.

    Once you complete your exchange, you can immediately do a cash-out refinance if you need access to some cash, tax-free.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · DE · Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Yea this is what I want to try to do. I just hope I get enough out of this property to put into another. 

  • Accountant · 1031 Exchange Qualified Intermediary | Nationwide · Member since 2024 · 53 posts · 32 votes
    1y

    @Lexi Blocksom

    I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing with your property. It sounds like a tough situation.

    Based on your post it sounds like you might sell at a loss, if you do go that route? While a 1031 exchange can defer the recognition of a loss, it's generally not the best option unless there are specific strategic reasons to do so. Given your current financial situation and the difficulties with the property, it might be more beneficial to recognize the loss now. This way, you can offset other income and potentially reduce your tax liability.

    I recommend discussing your options with a tax professional who can provide personalized advice based on your overall financial picture. They can help you explore the best path forward and ensure you're making the most informed decision.

    Wishing you the best of luck, and I hope things turn around for you soon!

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    There is no point in doing a 1031 exchange if you expect a loss from the transaction.
    A 1031 is meant to defer your gain.

    There are numbers which you can analyze and stress which is not easy to analyze.

    It looks like you are stressed with this investment and I would sell.

    I personally, however, would look to make the improvement for $10,000 to get one of the other units up and running.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.