My first syndication

My first syndication

Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 13 votes

Hey guys! I currently have 2 SFH in Ohio. One in Akron, one in Canton. I am currently looking for a duplex or fourplex that I will use private funds to purchase. I know that after this, in order to scale I will need to figure out creative financing and realistically want to do a syndication. I have read MB book, listen to his podcast and watched his videos. Is it worth it to do the course versus a mentorship? If you have used a mentor for the syndication process how did you find them? Any input appreciated!

4Reply
196 views

Most Popular Reply

Stuart UdisPro Member
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y

@Amanda Gauthier I can appreciate the desire to scale your business, but raising outside capital comes with a huge responsibility. There are few things in this industry I hate more than the syndication course/mentorship model. If you believe more experience is required before you can raise money then seek employment from a larger operator and/or continue to build your portfolio organically and learn the business. Pay a fee  to skip the line using disney lightning lane pass. Not for your GP badge.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jack SmithPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Massillon, OH · Member since 2017 · 215 posts · 168 votes
    1y

    Hi Amanda, I own a duplex in the city of Canton I can send you the details on.  

  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Amanda Gauthier:

    Hey guys! I currently have 2 SFH in Ohio. One in Akron, one in Canton. I am currently looking for a duplex or fourplex that I will use private funds to purchase. I know that after this, in order to scale I will need to figure out creative financing and realistically want to do a syndication. I have read MB book, listen to his podcast and watched his videos. Is it worth it to do the course versus a mentorship? If you have used a mentor for the syndication process how did you find them? Any input appreciated!

    Hi @Amanda Gauthier! Can you explain more as to why you believe a syndication is needed for you to scale? I have several clients with many more properties that have not syndicated. 

    • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 13 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Amanda Gauthier:

      Hey guys! I currently have 2 SFH in Ohio. One in Akron, one in Canton. I am currently looking for a duplex or fourplex that I will use private funds to purchase. I know that after this, in order to scale I will need to figure out creative financing and realistically want to do a syndication. I have read MB book, listen to his podcast and watched his videos. Is it worth it to do the course versus a mentorship? If you have used a mentor for the syndication process how did you find them? Any input appreciated!

      Hi @Amanda Gauthier! Can you explain more as to why you believe a syndication is needed for you to scale? I have several clients with many more properties that have not syndicated. 


       Maybe "need" was the wrong term. All of the properties that I currently have, and the one I am looking to purchase are with my own funds. Obviously it takes time to continue to save for more properties and I know there are creative financing methods however I have never utilized them and don't experience with that. If you have any advice or input on creative financing versus syndication I am all ears!

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Amanda Gauthier:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Amanda Gauthier:

      Hey guys! I currently have 2 SFH in Ohio. One in Akron, one in Canton. I am currently looking for a duplex or fourplex that I will use private funds to purchase. I know that after this, in order to scale I will need to figure out creative financing and realistically want to do a syndication. I have read MB book, listen to his podcast and watched his videos. Is it worth it to do the course versus a mentorship? If you have used a mentor for the syndication process how did you find them? Any input appreciated!

      Hi @Amanda Gauthier! Can you explain more as to why you believe a syndication is needed for you to scale? I have several clients with many more properties that have not syndicated. 


       Maybe "need" was the wrong term. All of the properties that I currently have, and the one I am looking to purchase are with my own funds. Obviously it takes time to continue to save for more properties and I know there are creative financing methods however I have never utilized them and don't experience with that. If you have any advice or input on creative financing versus syndication I am all ears!

      @Amanda Gauthier Just sent you a DM, but I'd concur with @Stuart Udis. IMHO, syndicators are mostly investor relations/asset management specialists that work more for the investors than the GP (i.e., you) and charge high fees without contributing a lot of value to the properties. And just as @Chris Seveney mentions, there is a minimum amount of property value needed to make a syndication financially feasible. Based on your description of your experience, you are MORE than capable of scaling your business without syndicating. Just my 3 cents!

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Amanda Gauthier:

    Hey guys! I currently have 2 SFH in Ohio. One in Akron, one in Canton. I am currently looking for a duplex or fourplex that I will use private funds to purchase. I know that after this, in order to scale I will need to figure out creative financing and realistically want to do a syndication. I have read MB book, listen to his podcast and watched his videos. Is it worth it to do the course versus a mentorship? If you have used a mentor for the syndication process how did you find them? Any input appreciated!


     Syndicating is running a business and typically if its less than $3M its not going to be worth the cost of getting it set up. Before syndicating I would focus on your existing properties and making sure they perform - as with a syndication they are gonna want to see some track record (10+ properties typically). 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Amanda Gauthier I can appreciate the desire to scale your business, but raising outside capital comes with a huge responsibility. There are few things in this industry I hate more than the syndication course/mentorship model. If you believe more experience is required before you can raise money then seek employment from a larger operator and/or continue to build your portfolio organically and learn the business. Pay a fee  to skip the line using disney lightning lane pass. Not for your GP badge.

    • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 13 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      @Amanda Gauthier I can appreciate the desire to scale your business, but raising outside capital comes with a huge responsibility. There are few things in this industry I hate more than the syndication course/mentorship model. If you believe more experience is required before you can raise money then seek employment from a larger operator and/or continue to build your portfolio organically and learn the business. Pay a fee  to skip the line using disney lightning lane pass. Not for your GP badge.


       Thanks for your response. Do you mind explaining (here or in a message) why you don't like the syndication course/mentorship model? I have read and heard different things but would love your point of view. 

    • Don KonipolBusiness Member
      Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      @Amanda Gauthier I can appreciate the desire to scale your business, but raising outside capital comes with a huge responsibility. There are few things in this industry I hate more than the syndication course/mentorship model. If you believe more experience is required before you can raise money then seek employment from a larger operator and/or continue to build your portfolio organically and learn the business. Pay a fee  to skip the line using disney lightning lane pass. Not for your GP badge.

      but raising outside capital comes with a huge responsibility

      This IS the point……I know of no syndication mentoring program that adequately prepares someone for that RESPONSIBILITY.  

      I have never seen anyone who lacked fundamental knowledge of real estate principles, law and finance as well as deep experience investing, managing, negotiating, acquiring and disposing of real estate be successful long term as a “syndicator”.  Syndication is not a short cut, method of property acquisition, or alternative financing technique.  it is managing and being responsible for passive investor’s money, and being compensated for such.  

      If you have little knowledge or experience in real estate (and be realistic in your assessment - owning 3 SFR doesn’t make you “qualified” to syndicate a 300 unit apartment house - and you want to “be a syndicator” STOP - do not buy into any mentoring program.  FIRST - gain knowledge of and thoroughly master real estate principles, real estate law and real estate finance.  SECOND - gain experience in the niche of real estate that interests you - if it’s industrial then get a job with a company related to industrial real estate - property manager, REIT, private investment, construction, brokerage.  THIRD - go to work for/with an established syndicator.  Take on more and more responsibility.  Make valuable contacts.  FOURTH - If possible CO - syndicate with the co your associated with.  FIFTH - You may be ready to be the “sponsor” of a syndicated deal. 
      Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hey!

    If you're looking to scale quickly, mentorship might be the better route since it offers personalized, real-world insights. A course provides great foundational knowledge but lacks hands-on guidance. To find a mentor, network at events, on BiggerPockets or look for established syndicators.

    For creative financing, explore methods like seller financing or partnering with other investors. And when you're ready for syndication, ensure you understand the legalities and capital-raising process thoroughly before diving in.

    Both options have their merits, but mentorship will likely accelerate your growth!

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
    • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 13 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Kerlous Tadres:

      Hey!

      If you're looking to scale quickly, mentorship might be the better route since it offers personalized, real-world insights. A course provides great foundational knowledge but lacks hands-on guidance. To find a mentor, network at events, on BiggerPockets or look for established syndicators.

      For creative financing, explore methods like seller financing or partnering with other investors. And when you're ready for syndication, ensure you understand the legalities and capital-raising process thoroughly before diving in.

      Both options have their merits, but mentorship will likely accelerate your growth!


       That is my thought process, but finding the right person can be difficult!

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Amanda Gauthier No course is going to to prepare you to syndicate real estate transactions. These courses teach you how to underwrite and "teach" you how to raise capital. I will apply your circumstances to how these course/mentorships unfold:

    You will start raising capital and you will struggle because you have no track record. You will begin with your friends and family and they will dismiss you because they know your experience level and going from owning two SFH's to syndicating larger transacitions is not a normal progression. The 506(b) route didn't work and they are out. This is normally the low hanging fruit and when they dismisses you, you will turn your attention to raising from randoms spending more money on filing as a 506(c). You won't have success there either because track record and experince is still a problem. You will go back to the people who taught/mentored you and they will offer you a proposition: Find us deals or raise us capital for our deals and you can use our trackrecord. In return we will make you a co-gp and the next time you go to raise money you can promote yourself as a GP of this large syndication. Raising capital will come easier. That's the playbook and its incredibly deceptive.

    Meanwhile the companies who are spearheading thesee courses and mentorship programs are being paid to train their future boots on the ground deal finders and capital raisers. Is that what you have in mind? I suspect the answer is no. Therefore my recommendation is to continue to grow your portfolio organically while learning the business through experience (the best way), be exposed to more sophisticated transactions by seeking employment from larger operators, or a 3rd which I didn't include in my earlier post which is to invest in  syndications/deals where access is offered and you can make a return on your money while learning. 

    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      @Amanda Gauthier No course is going to to prepare you to syndicate real estate transactions. These courses teach you how to underwrite and "teach" you how to raise capital. I will apply your circumstances to how these course/mentorships unfold:

      You will start raising capital and you will struggle because you have no track record. You will begin with your friends and family and they will dismiss you because they know your experience level and going from owning two SFH's to syndicating larger transacitions is not a normal progression. The 506(b) route didn't work and they are out. This is normally the low hanging fruit and when they dismisses you, you will turn your attention to raising from randoms spending more money on filing as a 506(c). You won't have success there either because track record and experince is still a problem. You will go back to the people who taught/mentored you and they will offer you a proposition: Find us deals or raise us capital for our deals and you can use our trackrecord. In return we will make you a co-gp and the next time you go to raise money you can promote yourself as a GP of this large syndication. Raising capital will come easier. That's the playbook and its incredibly deceptive.

      Meanwhile the companies who are spearheading thesee courses and mentorship programs are being paid to train their future boots on the ground deal finders and capital raisers. Is that what you have in mind? I suspect the answer is no. Therefore my recommendation is to continue to grow your portfolio organically while learning the business through experience (the best way), be exposed to more sophisticated transactions by seeking employment from larger operators, or a 3rd which I didn't include in my earlier post which is to invest in  syndications/deals where access is offered and you can make a return on your money while learning. 


       I agree with stuart and if you look at all those big MF teachers who were bragging about their students how are they doing now? I stopped seeing their ads on FB now that many of their students went belly up. 

      First question I would ask those gurus is how many students have you turned down and not took their money because you knew they were going to fail. I would bet you that number is probably zero. So they believe everyone can be a CFO, CEO, entrepreneur, marketing/sales and an asset manager.... Truth be told I would say less than 3-5% of people can actually do all of the above. 

      7e investments53 Reviews
    • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 13 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      @Amanda Gauthier No course is going to to prepare you to syndicate real estate transactions. These courses teach you how to underwrite and "teach" you how to raise capital. I will apply your circumstances to how these course/mentorships unfold:

      You will start raising capital and you will struggle because you have no track record. You will begin with your friends and family and they will dismiss you because they know your experience level and going from owning two SFH's to syndicating larger transacitions is not a normal progression. The 506(b) route didn't work and they are out. This is normally the low hanging fruit and when they dismisses you, you will turn your attention to raising from randoms spending more money on filing as a 506(c). You won't have success there either because track record and experince is still a problem. You will go back to the people who taught/mentored you and they will offer you a proposition: Find us deals or raise us capital for our deals and you can use our trackrecord. In return we will make you a co-gp and the next time you go to raise money you can promote yourself as a GP of this large syndication. Raising capital will come easier. That's the playbook and its incredibly deceptive.

      Meanwhile the companies who are spearheading thesee courses and mentorship programs are being paid to train their future boots on the ground deal finders and capital raisers. Is that what you have in mind? I suspect the answer is no. Therefore my recommendation is to continue to grow your portfolio organically while learning the business through experience (the best way), be exposed to more sophisticated transactions by seeking employment from larger operators, or a 3rd which I didn't include in my earlier post which is to invest in  syndications/deals where access is offered and you can make a return on your money while learning. 


       Thank you for the honesty!

  • Hong Kong · Member since 2024 · 161 posts · 57 votes
    1y

    I recently joined a so-called syndication group (not MB's), and so far, just the network/community has totally been worth the investment. My situation, thinking and background are not the same as yours, though, so keep that in mind.

    What @Stuart Udis said is relatively fair. Most people start by trying to raise money from their family and friends. Most people either start by investing in a deal as a limited partner (LP) but with access to some of the GP behind-the-scenes meetings, etc., or as a co-GP while raising money for someone else's deal. They might then try to be the lead GP on their own deal.

    However, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this progression, and I think it's pretty suitable for many people. 

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Zach Howard You are leaving out key details on how many of these students operate, often at the direction of their mentors/coaching programs. The students are awarded Co-GP status (normally 1% or some nominal piece of the GP) in return for raising capital or finding a deal and then turn around promote these transactions on their personal websites and through social media/online forums in a manner where a  reasonable person would believe their role in the transaction is far greater. These students could easily disclose their role on their websites and social medial promotional materials but are intentionally silent in order to boost the perception of their track record and credibility.  Getting access is one thing, but using the Co-GP status in a misleading manner is problematic and deceitful. That's whats happening.  

    • Hong Kong · Member since 2024 · 161 posts · 57 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      @Zach Howard You are leaving out key details on how many of these students operate, often at the direction of their mentors/coaching programs. The students are awarded Co-GP status (normally 1% or some nominal piece of the GP) in return for raising capital or finding a deal and then turn around promote these transactions on their personal websites and through social media/online forums in a manner where a  reasonable person would believe their role in the transaction is far greater. These students could easily disclose their role on their websites and social medial promotional materials but are intentionally silent in order to boost the perception of their track record and credibility.  Getting access is one thing, but using the Co-GP status in a misleading manner is problematic and deceitful. That's whats happening.  


       I have no idea about other groups, but that has not been my experience at all with my group. 

  • Member since 2025 · 244 posts · 98 votes
    1y

    @Amanda Gauthier  Nice work! Sounds like you’re on a solid path. Courses can offer structure, but nothing beats learning from people actively doing deals - whether through partnerships, networking, or staying plugged in here on BP.

    Wishing you the best on your syndication journey!

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Zach Howard  I am not against education whether it be through a book, these forums, coaching or mentorship but you can't teach a balance sheet. I also recognize syndication can mean a lot of different things and I am referrring to the courses and mentorship that supposedly prepare you to jump into 50+ unit buildings. If I were to offer the students out there pursuing those various mentorship programs two options: 

    Option A: Invest $100K in a syndication where daily access is provided from acquisition diligence through exit and make a ROI on your capital; or

    Option B: Pay $10K to take a syndication course

    Guess what option most will select? Option B. You know why? They don't have $100K to their name. Now explain to me how someone who doesn't have $100K to their name should be receiving training on how to syndicate 50 Unit real estate transactions?

    • Hong Kong · Member since 2024 · 161 posts · 57 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      @Zach Howard  I am not against education whether it be through a book, these forums, coaching or mentorship but you can't teach a balance sheet. I also recognize syndication can mean a lot of different things and I am referrring to the courses and mentorship that supposedly prepare you to jump into 50+ unit buildings. If I were to offer the students out there pursuing those various mentorship programs two options: 

      Option A: Invest $100K in a syndication where daily access is provided from acquisition diligence through exit and make a ROI on your capital; or

      Option B: Pay $10K to take a syndication course

      Guess what option most will select? Option B. You know why? They don't have $100K to their name. Now explain to me how someone who doesn't have $100K to their name should be receiving training on how to syndicate 50 Unit real estate transactions?


      And what is the specific problem with option B? I'm quite Interested in your elaboration, really curious. 

      Free will, free speech, free choices. If someone wants to invest in themselves, I say go for it! They know their own risk tolerance, they understand their own circumstances, and they should control their own destiny. 

      As a thought experiment, let's swap out "receiving training on how to syndicate a 50-unit real estate transaction" with "receiving training on how to manage a 50-person team," something an MBA or business program might teach. If the latter is seen as a reasonable investment in one’s career, why shouldn’t the former be viewed the same way? What’s wrong with people trying to better themselves?

      Based on my experience on BP, I know my perspective is likely in the minority, but I find some of the pushback short-sighted. It feels elitist to dismiss someone for investing $10k in a real estate education simply because they don’t yet have $100k to their name. Would we say the same to an aspiring entrepreneur taking a business course? Haha, or better yet, to someone shooting for a law degree? 

    • Don KonipolBusiness Member
      Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Zach Howard:
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      @Zach Howard  I am not against education whether it be through a book, these forums, coaching or mentorship but you can't teach a balance sheet. I also recognize syndication can mean a lot of different things and I am referrring to the courses and mentorship that supposedly prepare you to jump into 50+ unit buildings. If I were to offer the students out there pursuing those various mentorship programs two options: 

      Option A: Invest $100K in a syndication where daily access is provided from acquisition diligence through exit and make a ROI on your capital; or

      Option B: Pay $10K to take a syndication course

      Guess what option most will select? Option B. You know why? They don't have $100K to their name. Now explain to me how someone who doesn't have $100K to their name should be receiving training on how to syndicate 50 Unit real estate transactions?


      And what is the specific problem with option B? I'm quite Interested in your elaboration, really curious. 

      Free will, free speech, free choices. If someone wants to invest in themselves, I say go for it! They know their own risk tolerance, they understand their own circumstances, and they should control their own destiny. 

      As a thought experiment, let's swap out "receiving training on how to syndicate a 50-unit real estate transaction" with "receiving training on how to manage a 50-person team," something an MBA or business program might teach. If the latter is seen as a reasonable investment in one’s career, why shouldn’t the former be viewed the same way? What’s wrong with people trying to better themselves?

      Based on my experience on BP, I know my perspective is likely in the minority, but I find some of the pushback short-sighted. It feels elitist to dismiss someone for investing $10k in a real estate education simply because they don’t yet have $100k to their name. Would we say the same to an aspiring entrepreneur taking a business course? Haha, or better yet, to someone shooting for a law degree? 

      College or “college like” education/courses follow a path of basic course work to intermediate to advanced.  It’s all built on a solid understanding of the basic principles of, in this case, real estate law, finance, and principles.  

      All “guru” type mentorship’s teach a specific “technique/strategy to EVERYONE and ANYONE (that will pay) REGARDLESS of their knowledge, education, experience or ability.  How someone lacking in real estate fundamentals, knowledge and experience can be expected to be anything other than a DISASTER trying to syndicate property deals is beyond comprehension.  For almost all people with little knowledge and experience in real estate who pay whatever amount to be “mentored” by a guru in syndication the best outcome for everyone is that they fail to raise any capital.  The far worse outcome is that they are able to raise capital, use that capital to make a “bad” investment at a “bad” time, mishandle the management of the property, and throw up their hands when they personally aren’t making any money and leave the limited partners to “sort it out”.  This exact scenario has played out many times.

      People may have “the right” to “try” anything, that doesn’t mean they SHOULD.  “Slick” operators may be able to sell investors bad investments, that doesn’t mean they SHOULD.  INEXPERIENCED real estate wanna bees may (unlikely but may) be able to raise money via syndication, but THAT doesn’t mean they SHOULD. 

      Here is the questions people contemplating becoming syndicators need to ask themselves - Do I have the knowledge and experience necessary to negotiate, acquire and manage an investment of the size, type and characteristics of the one I’m contemplating and provide a high probability of success with a positive risk adjusted rate of return for the people who are trusting me with perhaps a large percentage of their life savings and might be irreparably harmed if I am fooling myself as to my experience, knowledge and capabilities?   

      We already know that a large percentage of the large, national, guru/mentors are unethical.  That doesn’t mean anyone else needs to be lead down that path. 
      Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
    • Hong Kong · Member since 2024 · 161 posts · 57 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Don Konipol:
      Quote from @Zach Howard:
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      @Zach Howard  I am not against education whether it be through a book, these forums, coaching or mentorship but you can't teach a balance sheet. I also recognize syndication can mean a lot of different things and I am referrring to the courses and mentorship that supposedly prepare you to jump into 50+ unit buildings. If I were to offer the students out there pursuing those various mentorship programs two options: 

      Option A: Invest $100K in a syndication where daily access is provided from acquisition diligence through exit and make a ROI on your capital; or

      Option B: Pay $10K to take a syndication course

      Guess what option most will select? Option B. You know why? They don't have $100K to their name. Now explain to me how someone who doesn't have $100K to their name should be receiving training on how to syndicate 50 Unit real estate transactions?


      And what is the specific problem with option B? I'm quite Interested in your elaboration, really curious. 

      Free will, free speech, free choices. If someone wants to invest in themselves, I say go for it! They know their own risk tolerance, they understand their own circumstances, and they should control their own destiny. 

      As a thought experiment, let's swap out "receiving training on how to syndicate a 50-unit real estate transaction" with "receiving training on how to manage a 50-person team," something an MBA or business program might teach. If the latter is seen as a reasonable investment in one’s career, why shouldn’t the former be viewed the same way? What’s wrong with people trying to better themselves?

      Based on my experience on BP, I know my perspective is likely in the minority, but I find some of the pushback short-sighted. It feels elitist to dismiss someone for investing $10k in a real estate education simply because they don’t yet have $100k to their name. Would we say the same to an aspiring entrepreneur taking a business course? Haha, or better yet, to someone shooting for a law degree? 

      College or “college like” education/courses follow a path of basic course work to intermediate to advanced.  It’s all built on a solid understanding of the basic principles of, in this case, real estate law, finance, and principles.  

      All “guru” type mentorship’s teach a specific “technique/strategy to EVERYONE and ANYONE (that will pay) REGARDLESS of their knowledge, education, experience or ability.  How someone lacking in real estate fundamentals, knowledge and experience can be expected to be anything other than a DISASTER trying to syndicate property deals is beyond comprehension.  For almost all people with little knowledge and experience in real estate who pay whatever amount to be “mentored” by a guru in syndication the best outcome for everyone is that they fail to raise any capital.  The far worse outcome is that they are able to raise capital, use that capital to make a “bad” investment at a “bad” time, mishandle the management of the property, and throw up their hands when they personally aren’t making any money and leave the limited partners to “sort it out”.  This exact scenario has played out many times.

      People may have “the right” to “try” anything, that doesn’t mean they SHOULD.  “Slick” operators may be able to sell investors bad investments, that doesn’t mean they SHOULD.  INEXPERIENCED real estate wanna bees may (unlikely but may) be able to raise money via syndication, but THAT doesn’t mean they SHOULD. 

      Here is the questions people contemplating becoming syndicators need to ask themselves - Do I have the knowledge and experience necessary to negotiate, acquire and manage an investment of the size, type and characteristics of the one I’m contemplating and provide a high probability of success with a positive risk adjusted rate of return for the people who are trusting me with perhaps a large percentage of their life savings and might be irreparably harmed if I am fooling myself as to my experience, knowledge and capabilities?   

      We already know that a large percentage of the large, national, guru/mentors are unethical.  That doesn’t mean anyone else needs to be lead down that path. 
      "All “guru” type mentorship’s teach a specific “technique/strategy to EVERYONE and ANYONE (that will pay) REGARDLESS of their knowledge, education, experience or ability."

      It's impossible to properly communicate if we don't know the specific definition of key concepts. 

      I'm not about to attempt to define what the heck a guru is. Rather, I'll just ask some questions. 
      1) Do you know of any syndication groups that turn away applicants who wish to join? 
      --my answer: I absolutely do. 
      2) Are people born with experience? 
      3) If someone doesn't have experience with syndication and they want to learn, is it even conceptually possible that their might be peolpe out there that can teach them about it for a fee, and that these peolpe could be ethical, have integrity and so on? Or is anyone who dares to try to impart their knowledge of syndication for a fee the scum of the earth?

      Again, please, please, please take a moment to properly digest and understand my words. I believe just as with almost everything under the sun, a wide range of people exist in the syndication space. One group could just be out to make money and take money from any "fool" who is willing to give them the time of day. At the same time, another group or person could exist who is picky about who they work with. Can anyone at least acknowledge the possibility of this, or is there ZERO room to debate? 


    • Don KonipolBusiness Member
      Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Zach Howard:
      Quote from @Don Konipol:
      Quote from @Zach Howard:
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      @Zach Howard  I am not against education whether it be through a book, these forums, coaching or mentorship but you can't teach a balance sheet. I also recognize syndication can mean a lot of different things and I am referrring to the courses and mentorship that supposedly prepare you to jump into 50+ unit buildings. If I were to offer the students out there pursuing those various mentorship programs two options: 

      Option A: Invest $100K in a syndication where daily access is provided from acquisition diligence through exit and make a ROI on your capital; or

      Option B: Pay $10K to take a syndication course

      Guess what option most will select? Option B. You know why? They don't have $100K to their name. Now explain to me how someone who doesn't have $100K to their name should be receiving training on how to syndicate 50 Unit real estate transactions?


      And what is the specific problem with option B? I'm quite Interested in your elaboration, really curious. 

      Free will, free speech, free choices. If someone wants to invest in themselves, I say go for it! They know their own risk tolerance, they understand their own circumstances, and they should control their own destiny. 

      As a thought experiment, let's swap out "receiving training on how to syndicate a 50-unit real estate transaction" with "receiving training on how to manage a 50-person team," something an MBA or business program might teach. If the latter is seen as a reasonable investment in one’s career, why shouldn’t the former be viewed the same way? What’s wrong with people trying to better themselves?

      Based on my experience on BP, I know my perspective is likely in the minority, but I find some of the pushback short-sighted. It feels elitist to dismiss someone for investing $10k in a real estate education simply because they don’t yet have $100k to their name. Would we say the same to an aspiring entrepreneur taking a business course? Haha, or better yet, to someone shooting for a law degree? 

      College or “college like” education/courses follow a path of basic course work to intermediate to advanced.  It’s all built on a solid understanding of the basic principles of, in this case, real estate law, finance, and principles.  

      All “guru” type mentorship’s teach a specific “technique/strategy to EVERYONE and ANYONE (that will pay) REGARDLESS of their knowledge, education, experience or ability.  How someone lacking in real estate fundamentals, knowledge and experience can be expected to be anything other than a DISASTER trying to syndicate property deals is beyond comprehension.  For almost all people with little knowledge and experience in real estate who pay whatever amount to be “mentored” by a guru in syndication the best outcome for everyone is that they fail to raise any capital.  The far worse outcome is that they are able to raise capital, use that capital to make a “bad” investment at a “bad” time, mishandle the management of the property, and throw up their hands when they personally aren’t making any money and leave the limited partners to “sort it out”.  This exact scenario has played out many times.

      People may have “the right” to “try” anything, that doesn’t mean they SHOULD.  “Slick” operators may be able to sell investors bad investments, that doesn’t mean they SHOULD.  INEXPERIENCED real estate wanna bees may (unlikely but may) be able to raise money via syndication, but THAT doesn’t mean they SHOULD. 

      Here is the questions people contemplating becoming syndicators need to ask themselves - Do I have the knowledge and experience necessary to negotiate, acquire and manage an investment of the size, type and characteristics of the one I’m contemplating and provide a high probability of success with a positive risk adjusted rate of return for the people who are trusting me with perhaps a large percentage of their life savings and might be irreparably harmed if I am fooling myself as to my experience, knowledge and capabilities?   

      We already know that a large percentage of the large, national, guru/mentors are unethical.  That doesn’t mean anyone else needs to be lead down that path. 
      "All “guru” type mentorship’s teach a specific “technique/strategy to EVERYONE and ANYONE (that will pay) REGARDLESS of their knowledge, education, experience or ability."

      It's impossible to properly communicate if we don't know the specific definition of key concepts. 

      I'm not about to attempt to define what the heck a guru is. Rather, I'll just ask some questions. 
      1) Do you know of any syndication groups that turn away applicants who wish to join? 
      --my answer: I absolutely do. 
      2) Are people born with experience? 
      3) If someone doesn't have experience with syndication and they want to learn, is it even conceptually possible that their might be peolpe out there that can teach them about it for a fee, and that these peolpe could be ethical, have integrity and so on? Or is anyone who dares to try to impart their knowledge of syndication for a fee the scum of the earth?

      Again, please, please, please take a moment to properly digest and understand my words. I believe just as with almost everything under the sun, a wide range of people exist in the syndication space. One group could just be out to make money and take money from any "fool" who is willing to give them the time of day. At the same time, another group or person could exist who is picky about who they work with. Can anyone at least acknowledge the possibility of this, or is there ZERO room to debate? 


      I’ve been full time in real estate for 46 years.

      There’s always the possibility that there’s mentorship programs out there that deal with”differently” than the overwhelming majority do.  Heck, maybe even a PROBABILITY.  BUT, that’s a small number as compared to the way most mentorship programs operate.

      The reason the syndication arena takes on such importance as related to “gurus” is that unlike other areas of real estate the student of the guru, or if you will the mentored, can not only f—k up his own financial live, but the financial life of any or all passive investors naive or trusting enough to invest with them.  You’ll find the same reasoning with “wholesaling” mentorship’s - the wholesaler can screw up the financial situation of the homeowner seller by appearing as a “buyer” when in actuality an unlicensed broker. 

      People who buy into syndication mentorship’s are almost always attempting to “shortcut” the learning, experience, or educational process.  And IF these people had knowledge and experience in real estate principles, law and finance and IF the guru taught valuable theory, technique, knowledge, strategy, and product specific management in their “courses” it might work out that way.  Unfortunately for all concerned, it just doesn’t work out a vast majority of the time. 

      All the wording you post aside, you’re underlying point is “it COULD be valuable/work out/succeed even if it’s only a small percentage of time.  Well, yeah, SO WHAT?  A lifetime .150 batter MAY get a hit, but since 85% of the time he won’t, I wouldn’t use him as a pinch hitter.  

      Here’s what we often find on BP.  Someone who spent $10 - 50k on a mentorship and is feeling “high” after 10 days posts how great it is and how they’re going to conquer the world, looking to “connect” with others interested in what’re technique/strategy he just spent $40k to “learn”.  ( what they’re NOT saying is that they’re also getting $5k referral fee for every person they hook into signing up for same).  Then the experienced posters on BP post detailed explanations with specific examples of the true facts concerning the program, strategy or guru: failure rates, guru’s “checkered” past, lawsuits filed, legislation rendering technique illegal, outdated, or not readily applicable to almost any situations, or plain just no workable.  The original poster, psychologically compromised, feels a compulsion to attack the BP members who posters accusing them of self interest, stupidity, being “haters”, jealousy, dishonest, unknowledgeable, and biased.  They usually end with something like informing the BP membership that they didn’t ask for people to comment on the mentorship, they just asked for parties interested in this type of investment.  As if they could control the thread and the people posting in it.  We ask them to come back on 6 months and let us know if they were successful.  We’ve never heard from one they they were. 
      Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Zach Howard:
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      @Zach Howard  I am not against education whether it be through a book, these forums, coaching or mentorship but you can't teach a balance sheet. I also recognize syndication can mean a lot of different things and I am referrring to the courses and mentorship that supposedly prepare you to jump into 50+ unit buildings. If I were to offer the students out there pursuing those various mentorship programs two options: 

      Option A: Invest $100K in a syndication where daily access is provided from acquisition diligence through exit and make a ROI on your capital; or

      Option B: Pay $10K to take a syndication course

      Guess what option most will select? Option B. You know why? They don't have $100K to their name. Now explain to me how someone who doesn't have $100K to their name should be receiving training on how to syndicate 50 Unit real estate transactions?


      And what is the specific problem with option B? I'm quite Interested in your elaboration, really curious. 

      Free will, free speech, free choices. If someone wants to invest in themselves, I say go for it! They know their own risk tolerance, they understand their own circumstances, and they should control their own destiny. 

      As a thought experiment, let's swap out "receiving training on how to syndicate a 50-unit real estate transaction" with "receiving training on how to manage a 50-person team," something an MBA or business program might teach. If the latter is seen as a reasonable investment in one’s career, why shouldn’t the former be viewed the same way? What’s wrong with people trying to better themselves?

      Based on my experience on BP, I know my perspective is likely in the minority, but I find some of the pushback short-sighted. It feels elitist to dismiss someone for investing $10k in a real estate education simply because they don’t yet have $100k to their name. Would we say the same to an aspiring entrepreneur taking a business course? Haha, or better yet, to someone shooting for a law degree? 

       What is this group you are referring too and is Zack Howard even your real name?

      7e investments53 Reviews
    • Hong Kong · Member since 2024 · 161 posts · 57 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Don Konipol:
      Quote from @Zach Howard:
      Quote from @Don Konipol:
      Quote from @Zach Howard:
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      @Zach Howard  I am not against education whether it be through a book, these forums, coaching or mentorship but you can't teach a balance sheet. I also recognize syndication can mean a lot of different things and I am referrring to the courses and mentorship that supposedly prepare you to jump into 50+ unit buildings. If I were to offer the students out there pursuing those various mentorship programs two options: 

      Option A: Invest $100K in a syndication where daily access is provided from acquisition diligence through exit and make a ROI on your capital; or

      Option B: Pay $10K to take a syndication course

      Guess what option most will select? Option B. You know why? They don't have $100K to their name. Now explain to me how someone who doesn't have $100K to their name should be receiving training on how to syndicate 50 Unit real estate transactions?


      And what is the specific problem with option B? I'm quite Interested in your elaboration, really curious. 

      Free will, free speech, free choices. If someone wants to invest in themselves, I say go for it! They know their own risk tolerance, they understand their own circumstances, and they should control their own destiny. 

      As a thought experiment, let's swap out "receiving training on how to syndicate a 50-unit real estate transaction" with "receiving training on how to manage a 50-person team," something an MBA or business program might teach. If the latter is seen as a reasonable investment in one’s career, why shouldn’t the former be viewed the same way? What’s wrong with people trying to better themselves?

      Based on my experience on BP, I know my perspective is likely in the minority, but I find some of the pushback short-sighted. It feels elitist to dismiss someone for investing $10k in a real estate education simply because they don’t yet have $100k to their name. Would we say the same to an aspiring entrepreneur taking a business course? Haha, or better yet, to someone shooting for a law degree? 

      College or “college like” education/courses follow a path of basic course work to intermediate to advanced.  It’s all built on a solid understanding of the basic principles of, in this case, real estate law, finance, and principles.  

      All “guru” type mentorship’s teach a specific “technique/strategy to EVERYONE and ANYONE (that will pay) REGARDLESS of their knowledge, education, experience or ability.  How someone lacking in real estate fundamentals, knowledge and experience can be expected to be anything other than a DISASTER trying to syndicate property deals is beyond comprehension.  For almost all people with little knowledge and experience in real estate who pay whatever amount to be “mentored” by a guru in syndication the best outcome for everyone is that they fail to raise any capital.  The far worse outcome is that they are able to raise capital, use that capital to make a “bad” investment at a “bad” time, mishandle the management of the property, and throw up their hands when they personally aren’t making any money and leave the limited partners to “sort it out”.  This exact scenario has played out many times.

      People may have “the right” to “try” anything, that doesn’t mean they SHOULD.  “Slick” operators may be able to sell investors bad investments, that doesn’t mean they SHOULD.  INEXPERIENCED real estate wanna bees may (unlikely but may) be able to raise money via syndication, but THAT doesn’t mean they SHOULD. 

      Here is the questions people contemplating becoming syndicators need to ask themselves - Do I have the knowledge and experience necessary to negotiate, acquire and manage an investment of the size, type and characteristics of the one I’m contemplating and provide a high probability of success with a positive risk adjusted rate of return for the people who are trusting me with perhaps a large percentage of their life savings and might be irreparably harmed if I am fooling myself as to my experience, knowledge and capabilities?   

      We already know that a large percentage of the large, national, guru/mentors are unethical.  That doesn’t mean anyone else needs to be lead down that path. 
      "All “guru” type mentorship’s teach a specific “technique/strategy to EVERYONE and ANYONE (that will pay) REGARDLESS of their knowledge, education, experience or ability."

      It's impossible to properly communicate if we don't know the specific definition of key concepts. 

      I'm not about to attempt to define what the heck a guru is. Rather, I'll just ask some questions. 
      1) Do you know of any syndication groups that turn away applicants who wish to join? 
      --my answer: I absolutely do. 
      2) Are people born with experience? 
      3) If someone doesn't have experience with syndication and they want to learn, is it even conceptually possible that their might be peolpe out there that can teach them about it for a fee, and that these peolpe could be ethical, have integrity and so on? Or is anyone who dares to try to impart their knowledge of syndication for a fee the scum of the earth?

      Again, please, please, please take a moment to properly digest and understand my words. I believe just as with almost everything under the sun, a wide range of people exist in the syndication space. One group could just be out to make money and take money from any "fool" who is willing to give them the time of day. At the same time, another group or person could exist who is picky about who they work with. Can anyone at least acknowledge the possibility of this, or is there ZERO room to debate? 


      I’ve been full time in real estate for 46 years.

      There’s always the possibility that there’s mentorship programs out there that deal with”differently” than the overwhelming majority do.  Heck, maybe even a PROBABILITY.  BUT, that’s a small number as compared to the way most mentorship programs operate.

      The reason the syndication arena takes on such importance as related to “gurus” is that unlike other areas of real estate the student of the guru, or if you will the mentored, can not only f—k up his own financial live, but the financial life of any or all passive investors naive or trusting enough to invest with them.  You’ll find the same reasoning with “wholesaling” mentorship’s - the wholesaler can screw up the financial situation of the homeowner seller by appearing as a “buyer” when in actuality an unlicensed broker. 

      People who buy into syndication mentorship’s are almost always attempting to “shortcut” the learning, experience, or educational process.  And IF these people had knowledge and experience in real estate principles, law and finance and IF the guru taught valuable theory, technique, knowledge, strategy, and product specific management in their “courses” it might work out that way.  Unfortunately for all concerned, it just doesn’t work out a vast majority of the time. 

      All the wording you post aside, you’re underlying point is “it COULD be valuable/work out/succeed even if it’s only a small percentage of time.  Well, yeah, SO WHAT?  A lifetime .150 batter MAY get a hit, but since 85% of the time he won’t, I wouldn’t use him as a pinch hitter.  

      Here’s what we often find on BP.  Someone who spent $10 - 50k on a mentorship and is feeling “high” after 10 days posts how great it is and how they’re going to conquer the world, looking to “connect” with others interested in what’re technique/strategy he just spent $40k to “learn”.  ( what they’re NOT saying is that they’re also getting $5k referral fee for every person they hook into signing up for same).  Then the experienced posters on BP post detailed explanations with specific examples of the true facts concerning the program, strategy or guru: failure rates, guru’s “checkered” past, lawsuits filed, legislation rendering technique illegal, outdated, or not readily applicable to almost any situations, or plain just no workable.  The original poster, psychologically compromised, feels a compulsion to attack the BP members who posters accusing them of self interest, stupidity, being “haters”, jealousy, dishonest, unknowledgeable, and biased.  They usually end with something like informing the BP membership that they didn’t ask for people to comment on the mentorship, they just asked for parties interested in this type of investment.  As if they could control the thread and the people posting in it.  We ask them to come back on 6 months and let us know if they were successful.  We’ve never heard from one they they were. 

       "All the wording you post aside, you’re underlying point is “it COULD be valuable/work out/succeed even if it’s only a small percentage of time. Well, yeah, SO WHAT?"

      No. My underlying point is that some groups and individuals possess integrity and are selective about who they choose to work with. It doesn't matter whether they are teaching wholesaling, flipping, buy-and-hold, ground-up development, syndication or whatever. I have encountered characters on different ends of the spectrum. Hope this makes sense. 







  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    You are raising completely irrelevant scenarios. This forum thread is about syndications. One of the most complexed and demanding investment strategies that carries enourmous responsibility. Paying for an MBA or Law Degree (while I can argue may not be the best ROI for many) is very different than paying for a sydnication course. Let's stay on topic here. The individuals who are paying $10K for a syndication course are not taking the information they learn to seek employment, continue to learn their craft, build a balance sheet and then strike out on their own. They are spending $10K beleiving they will immediately be able to go out and raise capital and syndicate real estate transactions. Are you telling me the person without the financial means to make a $100K LP investment should be raising millions in capital to pursue 50 unit apartment syndications as the GP because that's what's happening. If you believe that is acceptable then you are the type of dilusional real estate investor these coaching and mentorship programs profit off of.

    • Hong Kong · Member since 2024 · 161 posts · 57 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      You are raising completely irrelevant scenarios. This forum thread is about syndications. One of the most complexed and demanding investment strategies that carries enourmous responsibility. Paying for an MBA or Law Degree (while I can argue may not be the best ROI for many) is very different than paying for a sydnication course. Let's stay on topic here. The individuals who are paying $10K for a syndication course are not taking the information they learn to seek employment, continue to learn their craft, build a balance sheet and then strike out on their own. They are spending $10K beleiving they will immediately be able to go out and raise capital and syndicate real estate transactions. Are you telling me the person without the financial means to make a $100K LP investment should be raising millions in capital to pursue 50 unit apartment syndications as the GP because that's what's happening. If you believe that is acceptable then you are the type of dilusional real estate investor these coaching and mentorship programs profit off of.


      I raised the point about other educational scenarios to suggest that I fail to see what is wrong with someone spending money to learn something and potentially improve their future. I don't really think I've received a proper answer to this question. I won't draw any more analogies, I'll just simply say that I think you only seem to be focusing on the negative characters out there who may be trying to take advantage of others. You seem to fail to realize (or acknowledge) that, as with many things in life, things don't exist in a neat and tidy, clearly defined black and white world. There is almost always a complicated spectrum, with nuance and sophistication involved. 

       "They are spending $10K beleiving they will immediately be able to go out and raise capital and syndicate real estate transactions."

      Again, not my experience with my group. And again, you only seem to be focusing on the worst actors in the syndication coaching/training space. Do you have first-hand experience with any group? Which group, or which person, have you seen making such wild and irresponsible promises or guarantees to lead people to believe this? Name and shame! 


      How much do you understand about syndications? What direct experience do you have with them? I'll comment to say that it is a team effort and someone who doesn't have 100k to their name is NOT going to be able to close on a deal on their own. They will need to partner with a more experienced operator and sponsor etc to sign off on the loan, and especially if we're talking about agency debt. If a deal doesn't have potential it's not even going to make it through the rigorous internal underwriting process, not to mention the financial institution where they seek a loan is not going to approve some cowboy loans where the likelihood of failure due to an inexperienced operator is high. In fact, every institution that I am aware of takes the experience of the GPs into consideration. Without teaming up with someone more experienced who "knows what they are doing," it might be next to impossible to secure financing. 

    • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Zach Howard:
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      You are raising completely irrelevant scenarios. This forum thread is about syndications. One of the most complexed and demanding investment strategies that carries enourmous responsibility. Paying for an MBA or Law Degree (while I can argue may not be the best ROI for many) is very different than paying for a sydnication course. Let's stay on topic here. The individuals who are paying $10K for a syndication course are not taking the information they learn to seek employment, continue to learn their craft, build a balance sheet and then strike out on their own. They are spending $10K beleiving they will immediately be able to go out and raise capital and syndicate real estate transactions. Are you telling me the person without the financial means to make a $100K LP investment should be raising millions in capital to pursue 50 unit apartment syndications as the GP because that's what's happening. If you believe that is acceptable then you are the type of dilusional real estate investor these coaching and mentorship programs profit off of.


      I raised the point about other educational scenarios to suggest that I fail to see what is wrong with someone spending money to learn something and potentially improve their future. I don't really think I've received a proper answer to this question. I won't draw any more analogies, I'll just simply say that I think you only seem to be focusing on the negative characters out there who may be trying to take advantage of others. You seem to fail to realize (or acknowledge) that, as with many things in life, things don't exist in a neat and tidy, clearly defined black and white world. There is almost always a complicated spectrum, with nuance and sophistication involved. 

       "They are spending $10K beleiving they will immediately be able to go out and raise capital and syndicate real estate transactions."

      Again, not my experience with my group. And again, you only seem to be focusing on the worst actors in the syndication coaching/training space. Do you have first-hand experience with any group? Which group, or which person, have you seen making such wild and irresponsible promises or guarantees to lead people to believe this? Name and shame! 


      How much do you understand about syndications? What direct experience do you have with them? I'll comment to say that it is a team effort and someone who doesn't have 100k to their name is NOT going to be able to close on a deal on their own. They will need to partner with a more experienced operator and sponsor etc to sign off on the loan, and especially if we're talking about agency debt. If a deal doesn't have potential it's not even going to make it through the rigorous internal underwriting process, not to mention the financial institution where they seek a loan is not going to approve some cowboy loans where the likelihood of failure due to an inexperienced operator is high. In fact, every institution that I am aware of takes the experience of the GPs into consideration. Without teaming up with someone more experienced who "knows what they are doing," it might be next to impossible to secure financing. 


      Ok Zach, since you've decided the answer isn't valid simply because your too novice or inexperienced to comprehend it, I will try to uber simplify it. 

      There selling how to interior design courses, to blind people! What do you think the success rate is for a blind person trying to do interior design as a business? 

      If you have limited funds, and limited investing experience, how in the heck will you ever be able to perform at running a syndication business? It's just not complicated. 

      For example, do you have any idea what the expenses are just for setting one up? It ain't cheap. 

      There IS a bar of entry to viably have any shot at being a syndicator. 

      You need capitol to fund the launch. You need capitol to telegraph safety and security for those key early LP's, this is why most newer GP's are so heavily self-vested. 

      You need a track record that sells LP's to jump in, because there is something tangible they can look to saying you can pull this off. Seriously, do you think people just randomly throw there $ out to any old "rando" who says "hey, give me your $, I'll do stuff with it and if/when I make $, I'll give you some"...... 

      Honestly, most of this is just common sense. 

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Zach Howard, I will agree that some education and some educators in the syndication space are worth a certain amount of money.  As you note, I cannot speak for everyone out there charging people to help them "learn syndication". 

    Where, I believe, Stuart and Don are chiming in from is that fact that MANY of these individuals that charge for courses offer what is effectively the intro to real estate course while charging for a full year at a Top Tier Law School.  Effectively they are arguing that MOST students are drawn in by the get rich quick scheme and fork over lots of money thinking after 1-2 months of mentorship they will start making hundreds of thousands of dollars.  

    So, to summarize: Are all mentorships a waste of money?  No.  But the whole challenge with the industry is, the many give the few a bad name.  And when the target audience is people completely unfamiliar with real estate, the students have no knowledge to be able to determine if they are being fed a pile of BS or not.  

    It sounds like you have found a good mentor, which is awesome.  

    Back to @Amanda Gauthier's question: I have heard from a couple people that MB (assuming it is the same MB that comes to my mind) falls into the "pay me for my course, then feed me deals and bring your network".  Beyond that, scaling quickly is a dangerous game, whether with your own money or someone else's.  The people that i have seen be very successful with real estate, and continue to be successful, take a long time.  One deal this year, one or two the next year, 2 or 3 the following.  After 5 years, they have a decent portfolio.  After 10, they have a pretty large portfolio.  After 15, they are sitting very pretty.  But the people I know that own 200 doors themselves, 1200 doors themselves, or tens of thousands of doors through syndication: they all work 24/7.  Even with systems and teams, there is a lot to do owning a portfolio large enough to support you, and allow you to continue to grow.


  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    @Amanda Gauthier my best advice is put the entire notion and thought of syndicating on the back burner, the faaaar back burner. 

    Instead, focus on what your doing as an investor. Focus on sharpening those skills, gaining more, and how to scale up too 10 units all running good. And then how to scale that too 20+. 

    Yes, I understand you don't see how to do that right now and are thinking O.P.M. is the answer, it isn't. This is the entire point, the new skills and things you will have to learn, and perfect, to achieve this self-growth will be necessary to have a shot at being a decent syndicator. 

    And you will know it's time to bring the thought of syndication forward on the burner when you have been approached and asked by multiple persons about how they can get involved, be like you, do what you do. Multiple persons, not one or a few. 

    Because once you have the "chops", people will have taken notice, unless your a hermit. 

    Until then, no, your not ready. 

    Sure, you could do things to fast-track it, but let me ask you this; how do you feel about making a $7,000,000.00 mistake? How do you feel about having 10 millionaires simultaneously suing you, with there top-shelf attorneys that they can fund into eternity? That's the risk one takes by fast tracking things, very expensive screw-up's that will cut to the quick. 

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hi Amanda ! Nice work stacking those rentals. I’d say mentorship is worth it if you want hands-on guidance—some investors find mentors just by networking and doing JVs. Are you thinking small resi or going straight to commercial?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.