Update on 9 unit Multi-Family: Not such great news

Update on 9 unit Multi-Family: Not such great news

Real Estate Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 156 posts · 20 votes

It's been a few months since I last updated.  The 5 attached units (of 9 total) are finally ready to show.  The other 4 will be a few more weeks.  I have attached a before and after of the kitchen.  

Unfortunately, as I suspected, the 950 sq. ft, 3/1 units are not getting the most positive feedback... "rooms are too small", "there's only one bathroom", "stairs are narrow", "construction is bad" (I am assuming they mean because I didn't completely replace the 1950's walls and trim).

Anyway, here's a "Before" and "After" of one of the kitchens.  Hoping to have renters soon, possibly at a little lower rent than I anticipated considering the comments.

2Reply
159 views

Most Popular Reply

Sharad M.Pro Member
Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

Hi @Account Closed 

You have done great job with the remodel. One thing I do is if the rooms are small is advertise a small 3 bedroom place as 2 bedroom unit, so when someone comes to look at it, they are pleasantly surprised with the extra room. When you advertise a small 3 bedroom unit, people who come to look at it usually have bigger families, but if you advertise it as a 2 bedroom, families can see themselves growing in the extra space.

See this reply in the discussion

57 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Pelham, NY · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    I think the remodel is beautiful. Don't count out the tenant with the two big dogs. People who love their pets are desperate to find and keep an apartment that will allow pets...and people with big dogs are even more desperate. That is why they are usually very careful about how they keep the apartment because they know how hard it is to find and don't want to lose it. Consider charging an extra fee for each dog just in case there might be damage, but if there is none, you can give the fee back along with their security when the tenant moves out eventually.

  • Real Estate Investor · austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    how much did the renovations cost for the kitchen?

  • Real Estate Investor · austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Oops, nevermind!

  • Real Estate Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 156 posts · 20 votes
    12y

    Well I did a little staging (bought out the red line items at Garden Ridge pottery) and went ahead and dropped the price to $850 at the one week mark and now I have so many showings I can't keep up.  I am actually going over today to try to fit a full size bed up the stairs.  

    I have three people who "claim" they are putting in an application... we'll see.  It's like offers on my listings... I don't believe it until I have it in my hand.  

    We are doing an open house tomorrow from noon to 3 so hopefully by the end of the weekend we will have some tenants ready to move in.  Even one qualified tenant will be good for me now :)

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Lots of good thoughts in the thread. I like the idea of an open house.  I didn't read everything, do you have signs out front?

  • Real Estate Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 156 posts · 20 votes
    12y

    @Jon Klaus good to hear from you!  Yes, we have signs out front.  

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2011 · 132 posts · 41 votes
    12y

    Good luck!  I'm really enjoying this thread, lots of good ideas,  I hope you get it rented very quickly!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.