New Jersey State Green Card Inspections

New Jersey State Green Card Inspections

Developer · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 48 votes

I tried searching through the forums to see if there are any discussions about the NJ state green card inspection process.  I didn't really see any so figured I would start this thread with my initial experience, and ask a few questions.

I recently had an inspection done on my rented 3-family in Union City, NJ.  The inspector was actually pretty nice and helpful since this was my first.  She checked that I had the appropriate smoke and carbon monoxide detectors located in the right place.  She not only checked that I had them, but also checked that they were installed in the correct location relative to the ceiling or nearest adjacent wall (you can google this to find out optimal locations).  A few of mine were on the wall too close to the ceiling so I had to lower them.  She was nice and asked if I would take care of it today, which I said I would.  Otherwise, she would have to come back for another inspection, which would waste my time.

She noticed some chipping paint on the wall and noted to me that she could require me to have it tested for lead paint since the home is old (prior to 1978).  I personally think that is a ridiculous thing, but I guess it's the law.  However, she was nice and basically suggested that in the future, I touch up the whole house prior to any inspections.

I didn't have a fire escape since the height of my building doesn't require one, but she would have inspected that also.  I didn't get a chance to ask her what they look for so I'm wondering if anyone else knows.

Please share your experience.  Anything else they look for?

Thanks.

Throwing in some keywords for those of us that monitor the forums via alerts: Hudson County, Essex County, Bergen County, Morris County, Middlesex County, Somerset County, Passaic County, Jersey City, Weehawken, West New York, North Bergen, Bayonne, Hoboken, Guttenberg, Newark.

0Reply
45 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 48 votes
    11y

    I forgot to mention that the inspector also checked to make sure the front door into each apartment self-closed.

  • Real Estate Agent · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hey Kevin, is the inspection mandatory? How often do they need to inspect it. I heard every 5 yrs, correct me if I'm wrong. That is the benefit of getting the green card.

  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Sharon, they inspect every 5 years

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    I am looking to convert a 2 resi + 1 commercial to 3 resi. This would mean a new greencard - will this be a nightmare? 

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2012 · 93 posts · 32 votes
    9y

    @Sal H. did you ever get a green card? I'm thinking about doing the same myself for my 2-family going to 3 family.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.