Seeking Advice On Way-Forward in Jersey City, NJ

Seeking Advice On Way-Forward in Jersey City, NJ

Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 1 vote

Hi Everyone,

I recently moved to JC, and I’m hoping to get some advice from those familiar with this area, to include Hoboken, etc. I really want to house-hack with a multi-family property, but I want to know if I’m wasting my time even considering it given the local market. My criteria are pretty strict in terms of location for a place I want to live:

  • Walking distance to Newport or ~20 min via public transit
  • Near to PATH (<= .75 mi) to be able to get into Manhattan

Everything I've seen in the forums leads me to believe any properties in areas meeting these criteria are going to be highly competitive, and I only have about $100k to put down on a purchase. Am I living in a dreamland thinking I'll be able to find something with these criteria and the amount I have for down payment that will make any financial sense? Based upon my research of the area around the Grove PATH so far, I think $1500-2000/mo is reasonable rent for a unit, which puts me at a cap of around $725k for a property (FHA PMI is killer…). The rough $725k assumes the $100k down payment and close to a $4k/mo mortgage.

Alternatively, I can go back to looking at SFR if that's a more viable solution. Worst of all, I could just rent since I may only be in the area for one to two years but it could be longer.

Thank you all in advance, and I look forward to hearing some of your thoughts.

Chris

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2012 · 204 posts · 109 votes
10y

Hey @Christopher Stover--

You're in a tough place for this, but it's not out of the question if you're willing to be a little flexible and patient. 

FHA loan limits on 3- and 4-family properties are about $967k and $1.2MM, respectively, in this area. Even with $100k down, you'll probably be priced out of any 3- or 4-family properties that hit the market anywhere in Downtown JC. Even so, I'd be hesitant to buy one of those Downtown without putting serious consideration into the upcoming tax reval, which could cause property taxes to soar for owners in this part of the city.

However, not all hope is lost if you're willing to entertain options elsewhere in Jersey City. Opportunities will pencil out more easily in The Heights, Journal Square, or Bergen-Lafayette, and many areas can access Newport via the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail.

Another factor to consider is desirability. These areas are not Downtown JC and will offer a different feel. Many of them are experiencing significant development, but they're still far from offering the kind of dining and nightlife offered Downtown. If you're open to that kind of change, you may find what you're looking for elsewhere.

One other note: for accessing Downtown JC and Hoboken from anywhere in Jersey City, Uber & Lyft are life changing. This helps immensely with promoting interconnectedness throughout the area.

Lastly, no matter where you're looking, inventory is tight, especially among 3- and 4-family properties. There's a lot more stock of 1- and 2-family houses, so 3's and 4's are harder to come by. In addition, for the ones that do make it to the market, owner-occupants face stiff competition from the plethora of investors in the NYC area. 

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or are seeking an opinion on any other parts of town. Also, happy to put you in touch with my brother who's an agent nearby if you'd like to check out some properties -- either by browsing inventory online or viewing in person.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2012 · 204 posts · 109 votes
    10y

    Hey @Christopher Stover--

    You're in a tough place for this, but it's not out of the question if you're willing to be a little flexible and patient. 

    FHA loan limits on 3- and 4-family properties are about $967k and $1.2MM, respectively, in this area. Even with $100k down, you'll probably be priced out of any 3- or 4-family properties that hit the market anywhere in Downtown JC. Even so, I'd be hesitant to buy one of those Downtown without putting serious consideration into the upcoming tax reval, which could cause property taxes to soar for owners in this part of the city.

    However, not all hope is lost if you're willing to entertain options elsewhere in Jersey City. Opportunities will pencil out more easily in The Heights, Journal Square, or Bergen-Lafayette, and many areas can access Newport via the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail.

    Another factor to consider is desirability. These areas are not Downtown JC and will offer a different feel. Many of them are experiencing significant development, but they're still far from offering the kind of dining and nightlife offered Downtown. If you're open to that kind of change, you may find what you're looking for elsewhere.

    One other note: for accessing Downtown JC and Hoboken from anywhere in Jersey City, Uber & Lyft are life changing. This helps immensely with promoting interconnectedness throughout the area.

    Lastly, no matter where you're looking, inventory is tight, especially among 3- and 4-family properties. There's a lot more stock of 1- and 2-family houses, so 3's and 4's are harder to come by. In addition, for the ones that do make it to the market, owner-occupants face stiff competition from the plethora of investors in the NYC area. 

    Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or are seeking an opinion on any other parts of town. Also, happy to put you in touch with my brother who's an agent nearby if you'd like to check out some properties -- either by browsing inventory online or viewing in person.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 50 votes
    10y

    welcome to jersey city!

    you have a lot of options at that price range. jersey city is big and it is divided into different areas (high level): newport & water front, downtown jersey city, journal square, heights, greenville and bergen lafayette. for your price range, it might not be easy to find a good cash flow place in downtown or newport. you can check out multi family house close to the light rail in the heights; also places in journal square close to path station. also there are some places in greenville or bergen lafayette that have easy access to bus and light rail but you should do more homework if you want to house hack there. it varies street by street. 

    Let me know if you have questions or you want recommendation for an agent. 

  • Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Ryan Goldfarb - Thx for your reply and your opinion of me being priced out of 3 & 4-family properties is very helpful.  Can you share a little more about the "upcoming tax reval" you mentioned?  I googled but didn't really see anything specific to it.

    @Diana Tian - Thx for your input as well.  I wouldn't mind something a stop or two away from Downtown JC on the Lightrail so I'll give it some consideration, but I really don't want to be too far from Downtown JC, Newport, Hoboken, etc.

    Would it make sense for me to try to connect with wholesalers, agents, etc. to see if they can help me find a good deal on a 1 or 2-family place or just stick with Redfin, MLS, etc.? I get the impression wholesalers and such would want people that will buy more than one property from them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    @Christopher Stover Hi Chris, If you go back to considering a condo in Hoboken, let me know.  I'm considering a 'rent to own' model for my current 1 bedroom carriage house. Cheers!

  • Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Mark Gee - Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.