MF/SF investing in Springfield IL and Warner Robins Ga

MF/SF investing in Springfield IL and Warner Robins Ga

Investor · Saratoga, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hi All,

Wanted to see if anyone had/have the experience in long term investments in these location, given they are 3rd/4th tier locations, but have some sort of large anchor. Springfiled IL, due to government jobs and warner robins due to a large army base.

Would love to hear thoughts.

Ilan

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
10y

Hi Ilan,

I have lived in GA all of my life.

I am up in Cherokee county. Warner Robbins is on the other side of Atlanta.

In GA there are generally about 3 main cluster areas. Atlanta sits in Fulton county and in the ( MSA ) metropolitan statistical area there is over 25 counties. The 2nd cluster tends to be around the Warner Robbins area and the 3rd is down by Savannah,GA with the ports,tourism, and beaches.

Those areas tend to be where most of the growth is. The places in between tend to be rural to weak suburban in nature and are more suited to local investors.

Warner Robbins has it's good and bad areas just like anything else. You want to own where the low crime is occurring and new residential and commercial growth is happening. The Warner Robbins economy is more heavily base dependent.

If I was an out of state investor I would analyze the 3 main clusters or areas and compare price points with rental cash flow and location quality. Look for population growth,median income, school systems, crime levels, future development plans, etc.

You have to decide if you want all appreciation and limited cash flow, moderate cash flow and appreciation, or mostly cash flow but little to zero appreciation. If you are a very high income earner then owning average to poor assets that throw off cash flow but are a major headache running from states away shouldn't be the goal. The desirable areas here just like other states for SFR do not throw off much cash flow but prices per sq ft tend to be cheaper than other states.

I am in the commercial space so I do not concentrate on residential. Warner Robbins if you want to do SFR would be best to get a local person there. You have to be careful they don't sell you the junk at inflated prices that the local investors will not buy etc.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 70 votes
    10y
    I'm currently investing in Houston county where Warner Robins is located.
  • Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    I'm a realtor and investor as well in middle Georgia. Also a Veteran who was stationed at the Air Force base. Any questions you can contact me 

  • Investor · Saratoga, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks guys,

    Really looking for general thoughts on these areas for investments. 

    Wanted to see what different people think about it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 135 posts · 40 votes
    10y
    If your looking in Illinois have you considered Champaign? The University of Illinois is a very strong anchor. Due to the amount of young professionals rent is high and vacancy is low. If interested at all message me and let me know what type of properties fit you and I'll see if I can find something. I'm a local Realtor.
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    10y

    Hi Ilan,

    I have lived in GA all of my life.

    I am up in Cherokee county. Warner Robbins is on the other side of Atlanta.

    In GA there are generally about 3 main cluster areas. Atlanta sits in Fulton county and in the ( MSA ) metropolitan statistical area there is over 25 counties. The 2nd cluster tends to be around the Warner Robbins area and the 3rd is down by Savannah,GA with the ports,tourism, and beaches.

    Those areas tend to be where most of the growth is. The places in between tend to be rural to weak suburban in nature and are more suited to local investors.

    Warner Robbins has it's good and bad areas just like anything else. You want to own where the low crime is occurring and new residential and commercial growth is happening. The Warner Robbins economy is more heavily base dependent.

    If I was an out of state investor I would analyze the 3 main clusters or areas and compare price points with rental cash flow and location quality. Look for population growth,median income, school systems, crime levels, future development plans, etc.

    You have to decide if you want all appreciation and limited cash flow, moderate cash flow and appreciation, or mostly cash flow but little to zero appreciation. If you are a very high income earner then owning average to poor assets that throw off cash flow but are a major headache running from states away shouldn't be the goal. The desirable areas here just like other states for SFR do not throw off much cash flow but prices per sq ft tend to be cheaper than other states.

    I am in the commercial space so I do not concentrate on residential. Warner Robbins if you want to do SFR would be best to get a local person there. You have to be careful they don't sell you the junk at inflated prices that the local investors will not buy etc.

  • Investor · Saratoga, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Joel,

    Great points to consider, thanks for the thoughtful reply :-)

    Tyion  - I'll check it out.

    Thx!

  • Investor · Saratoga, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Does anyone has any knowledge about the potential closer of AFB in Warner Robins?

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Springfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    I am an agent in Springfield, IL if you need any help feel free to contact me!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.