First Ever Property Viewing with Potential Seller - What to do?

First Ever Property Viewing with Potential Seller - What to do?

Bay Area, CA · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 8 votes
Hello BP, I sent out some direct mail last week and got a call from a potential seller. I'm visiting the 18-unit property tomorrow and meeting with the seller. He bought the property in 2014, 100% vacant and with a lot of deferred maintenance. Now, all the units are completely rehabbed and are in excellent condition. The unit mix are two 2bed-1bth and 16 1bd-1bth. Here's the thing: since the owner rehabbed the entire property, 11 units are vacant and only 39% occupied. Current Income is $183k, proforma with all the units occupied and at market rent is $420k. Also, according to the seller, since it's practically brand new, he has no operating expense info to send me, only the recent rent roll and claims the building will be full soon. The seller asking price is $333K per unit. Which is about 6 million dollars. I sent him proof of funds but it's only 12-14% of the down payment needed for a 6 mil loan. Owner is open to creative financing, and there's a current mortgage and no other liens on the property. Seller motivation is to get closer to its core investing area. So here's my question... what questions should I ask tomorrow? What should I look for? Is this a good deal? This is in the Bay Area with 4, 5, 6 cap rates.
0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y

@Account Closed, maybe it doesn't matter to you, but it matters to me. I'd like to know how much the seller paid and how much the seller still owes on it. In fact, I'd look up where the seller lives and what other assets the seller owns and how much the seller owes on those assets. I want to know what kind of financial position the seller is in. I'd like to know as much as possible so I know who I'm negotiating with.

Marc,

Upon a closer look, I was being too generous. $420k gross income once fully stabilized is 14.3 GRM. At 6 cap, the seller is using 14% expenses. LOL! Basically, one has to net $360k/$6M seller's wishing price to get a 6 cap. This doesn't even factor in the amount of money you're dumping into this project to get the other 11 units up and running. I standby my comment that the seller is looking for a sucker. I'm afraid you're a little out of your league dealing with this seller.

If it's in the South Bay, the seller must have good connection to get that pricing in 2014 as distressed assets were trading for $125k/door at that time. Jus for kick, I'd ask the seller what s/he is smoking. Seems like some good stuff. I would love to have some. ;)

With that much information, I can find out who owns it if I wanted to. It's a small community in this space. 

It's a learning curve for you. Have fun with the process and learn from it. Just don't be a sucker. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Marc,

    The seller is looking for a sucker at that price. Seller bought it in 2014 and only has 7 units up and running? What's taken the seller so long? Do you know how much the seller paid for it? What's the mortgage on it? 

    $333k/unit with rent averaging $2,178/mo/unit is 12.8 GRM when the building is fully stabilized. With 11 down units, who's going to pay that wishing price, and it's not even in the core area of the Bay? Bay Area is a big place, and cap rates vary quite a bit from city to city. I wish the seller a lot of luck unloading this multi-family at that wishing price.

    Questions to ask:

    1) What's taking the seller so long to get all the units up and running?

    2) Is that the lowest price the seller willing to take? Keep circling back and ask this question over and over again until the seller is willing to sell at the price that makes sense for you. Otherwise, you wish the seller the best of luck and to give you a call when s/he is ready to sell.

    Good luck.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Camarillo, CA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    He has had it since 2014, he should have some P&S and rent roll. @Account Closed is right. he is looking for a sucker.  Don't be it. 

    3.5 would get be a 6 cap with 50% expense ratio, but that is without vacancies.  Offer 1.5 on the current occupancy.

  • Bay Area, CA · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Minh, 

    The seller bought it off-market in Dec 2014 for $1.6 million. And he claims they're cash flow positive. 

    They're primary focused in the South Bay, so let's assume this property is out of their core market.

    He claims, once stabilized, the property is a solid 6 cap. 

    His absolutely least price is "$6,000,000 - it is practically brand new." - Seller

    I will definitely asked those two questions tomorrow when I view the property. Thank you! 

    Wish me luck!

  • Bay Area, CA · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Jeff, 

    Seller states: 

    "We do not have an expense sheet because we just finished the remodel but the expenses would be very low compared to an old property since everything is brand new - including electrical, plumbing, roof, etc."

    I'll keep in mind the 1.5 mil offer.

    Thanks guys for the heads up, I won't be that sucker!

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed, maybe it doesn't matter to you, but it matters to me. I'd like to know how much the seller paid and how much the seller still owes on it. In fact, I'd look up where the seller lives and what other assets the seller owns and how much the seller owes on those assets. I want to know what kind of financial position the seller is in. I'd like to know as much as possible so I know who I'm negotiating with.

    Marc,

    Upon a closer look, I was being too generous. $420k gross income once fully stabilized is 14.3 GRM. At 6 cap, the seller is using 14% expenses. LOL! Basically, one has to net $360k/$6M seller's wishing price to get a 6 cap. This doesn't even factor in the amount of money you're dumping into this project to get the other 11 units up and running. I standby my comment that the seller is looking for a sucker. I'm afraid you're a little out of your league dealing with this seller.

    If it's in the South Bay, the seller must have good connection to get that pricing in 2014 as distressed assets were trading for $125k/door at that time. Jus for kick, I'd ask the seller what s/he is smoking. Seems like some good stuff. I would love to have some. ;)

    With that much information, I can find out who owns it if I wanted to. It's a small community in this space. 

    It's a learning curve for you. Have fun with the process and learn from it. Just don't be a sucker. 

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    9y

    Holy crap 333,000 a door and it is value add?? lol 

    Wow that is the highest I have ever heard of for such a property.

    Professional buyers of multifamily know to turn and stabilize the units fast within the first year of owning. Hold for 2 years to show good books ( what  a bank usually wants to see)  and sell to market.

    This owner having marginal results since owning in 2014 doesn't bode well.

    I really do not know who buys this stuff. For a 5 to 6 cap might as well buy retail with 10 to 20 year leases with national tenants and 1.5 to 2% a year rental increases and do nothing but collect a check.

    Unless this multifamily location is sitting on irreplacable dirt that comes along once every 50 years for sale and redevelopment there looks like no value. If dirt was valueable  then maybe tear down and go higher with density and number of units to pencil the project.   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.