• Los , Angeles
Votes |
Cold Calling - WTH am I doing wrong?

Billy W.
  • Real Estate Developer
  • Los , Angeles
Posted Nov 10 2011, 15:23

Hey,

So I have begun my career as a commercial real estate salesperson just about a month ago and have yet to set an appointment.

I am looking for some advice from the pros on here.

I have called hundreds of people but quickly get shot down. I feel like I am calling someone that 50 other brokers have already called on and by the time i get to them they are ready to strangle me through the phone.

My opening usually goes something like this:

"Hi, I am XXX from XXXX. I was calling in regards to your property in [Location]. I am currently working with a couple potential buyers who are anxious to buy in the [location] market. Would you happen to be looking to market your property?"

Usually that is interrupted with a stiff "No, we are not buying! And no we are not selling! Goodbye!"

If they are nicer and dont hang up right away I try to get them to let me do an analysis on their property. This has yet lead to any appointments or even an opportunity to do an analysis on their building.

Does anyone have any suggestions? What do you usually say to them when they give you a stiff "No"?

I am not afraid to cold call. I just cant seem to get through to anyone willing to hear me out. I have tried the more natural way... such as "Hey XXX, my name is XXX with XXX. How is your day going so far" which almost always lands with a "do I know you?". Then I just go on with my above script from there which ends with a "no way". Once they hear I am from a RE firm they automatically shut me down.

Edit: BTW I am calling on a "Farm List" of my area given to me by the title company.

Loading replies...