Multi Family Syndication Team

Multi Family Syndication Team

Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 32 votes

Hey everyone. My name is Matt. I have been investing in SF for a few years and transitioning into the MF game. I am still somewhat new to the syndication process but looking to network with others that have not done their first multi family deal yet either and would potentially be interested in teaming up to start doing syndication deals together

3Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

@Matt Nettles

You have received a ton of great advice already from many others, such as @Spencer Hilligoss and @Todd Dexheimer.  I'd encourage you to:

1) educate yourself through (a) books: Gene Trowbridge "it's a whole new business" and Joe Fearless & @Theo Hicks "best ever syndication" book, (b) podcasts - Syndication Show by @Whitney Sewell, (c) extensive networking. Find some groups via BP or meetup site. I assure you there're tons of great meetups and successful syndicators in Atlanta area. 

2) start building your team of PRO's: CPA, attorney, inspector, mortgage broker, etc...

3) don't rush into partnership, take the time to build relationships

4) start looking for properties

5) take action!

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt Nettles I would go to your local meet ups. My guess is that there is even an apartment meet up near you. Conferences can also be a great place to meet with like minded investors. You can check out the Northstar Real Estate Conference, Raising Money Summit, Multifamily Mastery conference, Think Multifamily conference and many others. 

    Also, if you're going to post on sites like biggerpockets to find partners, I would highly suggest adding a picture of yourself and finishing your profile

  • Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Todd Dexheimer Hey Todd! Thank you for the reply. I am about two hours south of Atlanta and I am sure they have MF meetups there. However here locally, we have REIA meetings but 100% of those are solely interested in SF (I've tried having the conversations with them about MF) so I figured I would throw it on here and see if there was anyone that may find interest in working together

  • Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Todd Dexheimer

    And will do! Just joined BP about 30 minutes ago lol

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Come on up the Minnesota in September to network with others. Networking will be very valuable. Not trying to discount BP, because it's a great resource and potentially a great place to meet partners. Keep on posting questions and adding value here on BP with consistency and you will gain some traction. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 87 posts · 54 votes
    7y

    @Matt Nettles

    Todd gave great advice about going to in-person meetups and conferences. If you're south of ATL, we invest there and I can make an intro to local MFH investors you could chat with. Let's connect and PM. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Matt Nettles

    Hi Matt, I’m also in Atlanta and in the same situation. I have liquidated my single family properties and I’m looking into start investing in MF. I’ll send you a request to connect and we can meet in person. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lewisville, TX · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    I'm in the same boat, I liquidated a few of my SF s and getting ready for syndication. Any good meetup group recommendations in the Dallas area? I'm also looking for some good website recommendations for setting up syndications. I'm not a big fan of cross street though.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt Nettles Hey Matt, BP is definitely a great start to network in general. 

    Particularly, for apartment syndication networking, you can start thinking of the market(s) you'd like to invest in, as that would help determine what syndicator or syndication group you want to coalesce with.

    For amazing apartment syndication content, you have to check out Joe Fairless Syndication School conducted by Theo Hicks. 

    Good luck and let me know if I can help you in any way. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 969 votes
    7y

    @Matt Nettles congratulations with making the right decision, BP is a great place to do that, other is local meet-ups, you can even try MF Facebook groups to look for your potential partners, it’s not that hard to find, there’s a lot of people interested into multifamily space right now, so try to find people who would be already established in this space.

  • Rental Property Investor · Eugene/ Springfield, OR · Member since 2012 · 99 posts · 69 votes
    7y

    @Matt Nettles

    Hey Matt welcome to BP. I haven’t done any mf deals “yet” but I use to work as a financial analyst / junior broker for Marcus and millichap. Ran numbers all day on mf so if you’ve got questions on your journey I’d love to help. My partner and I are looking Midwest right now because we aren’t going syndication and working with our own funds.

  • Rental Property Investor · AL TX TN GA AZ · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Pundari Pothini I have not found any geared towards MultiFamily. Most are SF. I plan to go to AIM meetup in Aug 31. Look them up on MeetUp and join! I am hoping they are what I am looking for in a group.

  • Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Brent Kawakami Hey Brent. I would love that man. Thanks for wanting to lend a helping hand

  • Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Pundari Pothini Hey Pundari. Going to send you a friend request. Let’s connect and chat

  • Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Ola Dantis Hey Ola! Thank you for the inputs sir. I actually purchased Joe’s best ever apartment syndication book and already finished it. I’ve also listened to hundreds of hours of podcasts of his and Theo who commented below. I will most definitely stay in touch. Thanks again

  • Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Theo Hicks Hey Theo. Thanks for your input and advice my friend. I have watched hundreds of hours of you and Joe on the podcasts.. also read the best ever apartment syndication book.. fantastic content and can’t say thanks enough for all of the free knowledge you both are happy with sharing.

  • Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Robert J. Hey Robert! You worked directly for Marcus & Millichamp? That is really cool. I’ve been on their website looking through some of the reports they offer and it is really awesome info. Will definitely stay in touch my friend. Thanks for offering a helping hand

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    @Ola Dantis, I tried to buy the syndication book by Joe Failess and even the kindle version cost as high as $44.Is that their a cheaper way to get the book ?Thanks a lot
  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Osmund Agbo:
    @Ola Dantis, I tried to buy the syndication book by Joe Failess and even the kindle version cost as high as $44.Is that their a cheaper way to get the book ?Thanks a lot



    Hey Osmund, with apartment syndication, it involves many many more zeros and $44 is a tiny amount to invest in getting yourselves acquainted with the complex information involved to actually be successful in taking down tens of million-dollar deals. 

    Please do not take this the wrong way but Cheap and Apartment Syndication doesn't go together. 

    Perhaps, a good place for you to start to invest your time (helping another syndicator, like myself) and/or invest your capital (into a passive deal). As a result, you could learn while you earn...

    If you want to chat or need any other information please let me know.

    Hope this helps. Good luck...🤗

  • Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Osmund Agbo just to reiterate what Ola said, the book pays for itself easily with all the information in it.. I would’ve paid $100 for it to be honest. It’s a small investment that you’ll have in your back pocket for a lifetime

  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt Nettles welcome to BP there is so much information here, and many successful syndicators to follow. As @Todd Dexheimer and @Ola Dantis pointed out your best bet is to start attending networking events where you will connect in person to people like yourself. Another option is to join a mentoring group where many people like yourself will learn from an experienced syndicator.

    @Pundari Pothini I know there are a bunch of meetup groups in DFW. Think Multifamily has a lot of events. Check out @Jorge Abreu and many others.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lewisville, TX · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Thank you @Yonah Weiss

  • Jorge AbreuPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 493 posts · 366 votes
    7y

    Thank you @Yonah Weiss for the mention. 

    @Pundari Pothini here is a link to sign up and receive info on our upcoming events. 
    https://mailchi.mp/elevatecig/signup

    Our last event had 150+ experienced as well as beginner Multifamily Investors. Our panel had over 10,000 Units under management. Next one will be early next month.

  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 622 votes
    7y

    @Matt Nettles “teaming up with who have not done a MF deal”? If you are looking for advice, this is your first mistake. You’ll want to team with those that have... blind leading the blind usually causes lots of falls... On your first MF you’ll not want to focus on what you get in dollars but rather in real life experience.

  • Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Tim Ryan Hey Tim!

    That is a very good point. You are right, I could have reworded that better but my goal with the post was to meet others in the MF space and that would potentially be open to working together

  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 622 votes
    7y

    @Matt Nettles ahh, then you are forgiven my friend. Lol

    That is a good idea...

    Also check out RE Mentor - David Lindahl program. I did the coaching several years ago. Learned a ton, met people, own 240 units today...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.